RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
27 goals in 29 games at the age of 17. Almost GPG, number one GPG too in the League. To people, who say he doesn't score highlight real goals. Watch last several games. Who was the last prospect who was scoring at this pace in his draft year? I can think only of Connor, 44 goals in 47 games.

Tavares?

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
In regards to something said earlier, it might seem somewhat heartless to write these CHL guys off but this change of styles at the worst age possible is like death for their career. Are people who understand this problem supposed to just look the other way and have constant Polyanna like blind hope that they will be one of the couple out of dozens who pan out. Its kind of like watching a group of people being pushed off a bridge. A couple that get pushed off the bridge might survive but obviously most won't. You can only see so many people pushed off a bridge till you lose your optimism.

I hope he pans out. Do I think he will, no. Definitely not up to the level of whats expected from a top 3 pick. But its going to take a few years for that to fully become apparent. When that becomes apparent are people going to be saying gee that guy on HFBoards was right lol No. They will be saying stuff like what can we get for this lazy Russian.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's probably the safest bet to be an impact player in the NHL next year. Its much easier for a winger to gain his coaches trust in some sort of top 9 role than it is for a defender to get the same level in a teams top 4. I think his all around combo will allow for him to get minutes. He isn't really deficient at anything. His size, skating and strength combo will get him pretty far. Especially if he add a bit more weight/strength in the off-season.

Although, maybe Dahlin's coaches get creative and use him like Lightning use Sergachev which will give him impressive totals even if he gets limited minutes.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He's probably the safest bet to be an impact player in the NHL next year. Its much easier for a winger to gain his coaches trust in some sort of top 9 role than it is for a defender to get the same level in a teams top 4. I think his all around combo will allow for him to get minutes. He isn't really deficient at anything. His size, skating and strength combo will get him pretty far. Especially if he add a bit more weight/strength in the off-season.

Although, maybe Dahlin's coaches get creative and use him like Lightning use Sergachev which will give him impressive totals even if he gets limited minutes.

Sergachev and Tampa suck nowadays.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
ekblad was shielded a lot in his first two seasons, he admitted to coasting a bit and thats still putting up the incredible numbers that he did at his age. it wasnt until year 3 when they bumped him to line one and tough minutes that reality came crashing down. year 4 hes easing into it. if you give dahlin easier minutes with a reliable partner i can only imagine what he could potentially put up.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In regards to something said earlier, it might seem somewhat heartless to write these CHL guys off but this change of styles at the worst age possible is like death for their career. Are people who understand this problem supposed to just look the other way and have constant Polyanna like blind hope that they will be one of the couple out of dozens who pan out. Its kind of like watching a group of people being pushed off a bridge. A couple that get pushed off the bridge might survive but obviously most won't. You can only see so many people pushed off a bridge till you lose your optimism.

I hope he pans out. Do I think he will, no. Definitely not up to the level of whats expected from a top 3 pick. But its going to take a few years for that to fully become apparent. When that becomes apparent are people going to be saying gee that guy on HFBoards was right lol No. They will be saying stuff like what can we get for this lazy Russian.
I’ve only come into this board lately to check up on what people more educated in the matter than I have to say about the top picks this year. This idea here keeps coming up. And I don’t understand why. Is it being implied that taking this guy out of Russia will hinder his game in the NHL? He’s been here for two years now and is playing well in a NA style game. How can that bode poorly for his nhl future?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’ve only come into this board lately to check up on what people more educated in the matter than I have to say about the top picks this year. This idea here keeps coming up. And I don’t understand why. Is it being implied that taking this guy out of Russia will hinder his game in the NHL? He’s been here for two years now and is playing well in a NA style game. How can that bode poorly for his nhl future?

They really should have their own thread for discussing their theory; but the basic premise is that russian hockey players are such special snow flakes that they can not survive the culture shock of coming to NA like the rest of us who came here from Russia did. It's silly and depends almost entirely on focusing on a very small number of test cases like Grigorenko & Burmistrov...while ignoring all counter-examples like Radulov, Kucherov, Provorov, Zadorov, etc...but they are persistent with regurgitating it.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They really should have their own thread for discussing their theory; but the basic premise is that russian hockey players are such special snow flakes that they can not survive the culture shock of coming to NA like the rest of us who came here from Russia did. It's silly and depends almost entirely on focusing on a very small number of test cases like Grigorenko & Burmistrov...while ignoring all counter-examples like Radulov, Kucherov, Provorov, Zadorov, etc...but they are persistent with regurgitating it.
But I mean, they would be coming over here eventually would they not? Or an answer is to wait until they’re are adults? It is a strange idea

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But I mean, they would be coming over here eventually would they not? Or an answer is to wait until they’re are adults? It is a strange idea

The idea is to bolster the KHL by convincing top talents to stay in russia until 21/22, when they would supposedly be mature enough to handle the culture shock and the russian system will have had enough time for their games not to get ruined by the NA style.

Again I don't think it makes any sense either; and as someone who was born on the far side of the iron curtain and who's family still has many roots in russia & eastern germany, it's especially absurd. But there's a certain group of posters that buy it hook-line-n-sinker.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The idea is to bolster the KHL by convincing top talents to stay in russia until 21/22, when they would supposedly be mature enough to handle the culture shock and the russian system will have had enough time for their games not to get ruined by the NA style.

Again I don't think it makes any sense either; and as someone who was born on the far side of the iron curtain and who's family still has many roots in russia & eastern germany, it's especially absurd. But there's a certain group of posters that buy it hook-line-n-sinker.
I don’t buy it either. Especially since he seems to be having zero issue with the NA game at a young age.

Has there been any word that svech is having any issues in Canada?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Thank you for bringing this back.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t buy it either. Especially since he seems to be having zero issue with the NA game at a young age.

I don't either, but if you listen to that group, Svech is already ruined and is nowhere near as good as he should've been. An "argument" they will cling to from now until he retires, regardless of how successful he actually ends up being. It's why I'd love for the avs to luck into Svech and watch him have a legendary career that those russians will always claim isn't as legendary as it should've been.

Reactions: jj cale

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I don't either, but if you listen to that group, Svech is already ruined and is nowhere near as good as he should've been. An "argument" they will cling to from now until he retires, regardless of how successful he actually ends up being. It's why I'd love for the avs to luck into Svech and watch him have a legendary career that those russians will always claim isn't as legendary as it should've been.
I will have a good laugh remembering your post.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Being even considered not a top 3 pick IS an issue for him. Now find me an explanation how the jump to Canada that resulted in falling off the pinnacle of the rankings was a good thing for him to do and how the CHL helped his development.

Reactions: kp61c

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Being even considered not a top 3 pick IS an issue for him. Now find me an explanation how the jump to Canada that resulted in falling off the pinnacle of the rankings was a good thing for him to do and how the CHL helped his development.

He will be the 2nd prospect taken this year, and that would have been the case regardless of what country he chose to play in.

It's why I'd love for the avs to luck into Svech and watch him have a legendary career that those russians will always claim isn't as legendary as it should've been.

You can be on that. It's always some next level mental gymnastics in these threads.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I think, as to Svechnikov, moving to NA wasn't that bad. His parents moved to America as well, his elder brother lived there, and the most important thing, there is no way he would have had any chance to play in the KHL under Bilyaletdinov. We saw, what way Bragin handled him at the WJC, and Bill is a much worse case as to developing young kids.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I haven’t seen a single list with him outside the top 3. Why would nhl scouts have loved him so much more in Russia than they would have here? Dominating. Not like he’s struggling. Seems he feel from the “pinnacle” more because his Russian wjc coach wouldn’t play him. ( again he still seems to be top 2. The odd person has zadina ahead of him. And that’s because of the wjc). Which is ironic because the argument seems to be that he should have stayed in Russia.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
yep, he's falling. i just hope we wont end up a complete bust like his brother.

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to take a half an hour and see that almost every Russian player who came to the CHL and switched hockey styles at this age has not panned out in the NHL.

Instead of acknowledging this they try to spin bs about culture shocks lol. Further not acknowledging that they play great as soon as they come over at a time when they are least familiar with the Canadian style and language and the regression becomes apparant as they climb up to the higher levels.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to take a half an hour and see that almost every Russian player who came to the CHL and switched hockey styles at this age has not panned out in the NHL.

Instead of acknowledging this they try to spin bs about culture shocks lol. Further not acknowledging that they play great as soon as they come over at a time when they are least familiar with the Canadian style and language and the regression becomes apparant as they climb up to the higher levels.

Kucherov, Sergachev, Zadorov :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad