RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Scored a nice goal bullying his way to the net tonight. I wasn’t all that impressed with him other than that goal. Smart player no doubt but I’m least wanting more from a #2 prospect

Zadina has brought me off my seat more. Tkachuk, Hughes, Bouchard and Boqvist are all in his range.

People are right when they say Dahlin is in a class of his own

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I see Svechnikov in the same way I see Matthews. They're just not very flashy players but they're efficient and get the job done. I felt very much the same about Matthews as I do Svechnikov now, I thought he'd be real solid player but I didn't think he'd be as good as he is. Like Svechnikov, he just never really stood out as much as you'd expect from a top pick when you watched him play. But I'm not gonna do that same mistake again and underrating a player just because he doesn't got the flash to his game. Realistically I think Svechnikov is probably on the same level as Hall as a prospect and should be a PPG+ winger in the NHL.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I see Svechnikov in the same way I see Matthews. They're just not very flashy players but they're efficient and get the job done. I felt very much the same about Matthews as I do Svechnikov now, I thought he'd be real solid player but I didn't think he'd be as good as he is. Like Svechnikov, he just never really stood out as much as you'd expect from a top pick when you watched him play. But I'm not gonna do that same mistake again and underrating a player just because he doesn't got the flash to his game. Realistically I think Svechnikov is probably on the same level as Hall as a prospect and should be a PPG+ winger in the NHL.
He is easily the most skilled foward in this draft but I wish he was more hungry and plays with more ungency in his game, that said, he is a huge talent.. I dont think he compares to Matthews in the sense that Matthews is a tank on the ice, his stick work, size, speed and strength makes him one the toughest centers to face every games while Svechnikov is a high touted winger with the possibility to score alot in the NHL

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Shit yeah I see the matthews conparison

Also people who are saying he isn't flashy enough, his game is all substance. He can dazzle like the best of them but he can also play a very cerebral game. Which bodes well for his nhl future.

He's an all around offensive force.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I for one also think that he has great skating. He can turn on a dime and I feel like that kind of agility is severely underrated compared to things such as straight line skating.

Furthermore, his skating stride makes him look isnti going fast, but you routinely see him blowing past defensemen with ease.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I for one also think that he has great skating. He can turn on a dime and I feel like that kind of agility is severely underrated compared to things such as straight line skating.

Furthermore, his skating stride makes him look isnti going fast, but you routinely see him blowing past defensemen with ease.
A lot of players in this draft class have really good agility, even in the top 3; Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina. The best part about all 3 of their skating, is their agility.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I probably only rate Zadina higher based off of more intensive viewings of Zadina (Q games fit better in my schedule than most) and i'm not saying he's necessarily better than Svechnikov, but both are amazing. They're probably equal and I just award Zadina with the tiebreaker due to gut feeling.

As a fan of a team who could really use either of these amazing wingers, Svech just has more talent. I'd be thrilled beyond all belief with either one to build our second line around; but Svechnikov is a bigger prospect.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
No way Zadina & Svechnikov are equal. Zadina name didn't even come close to Svech before WJC. I would love to watch Zadina at Bragin's team. Once again if you guys payed closer attention, Svech & Kostin were two best players on Russian team despite playing on 4th line for some reason. And whoever saying Svech failed WJC, need their head check. Svech is a potential franchise winger, while Zadina is a 1-st line winger.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He is easily the most skilled foward in this draft but I wish he was more hungry and plays with more ungency in his game, that said, he is a huge talent.. I dont think he compares to Matthews in the sense that Matthews is a tank on the ice, his stick work, size, speed and strength makes him one the toughest centers to face every games while Svechnikov is a high touted winger with the possibility to score alot in the NHL

you've honestly just described what makes Svechnikov so special

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It looks like he's found at last his game in the CHL. 8th multipoint game in a row, 11 goals scored during this streak.

He's 16th in goals scored, despite playing just 29 games. Number one by GPG now as well.

Last edited:

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Gotta admit, that dog can hunt.
Good on the Barrie GM getting Luchuk and Sokolov, actually made a very dangerous Svechnikov even more so.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Is he NHL ready for next year? I kind of assumed he would need another year to prepare after he was drafted since he's so young and missed a lot due to injury, but I'm not sure where he would play. NHL/OHL/KHL??

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Is he NHL ready for next year? I kind of assumed he would need another year to prepare after he was drafted since he's so young and missed a lot due to injury, but I'm not sure where he would play. NHL/OHL/KHL??

NHL or OHL. I think the last place some teams want him is in the KHL. Can he play in the AHL?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

He will be in the NHL. Very little doubt about that IMO. What does he have left to learn at the junior level?
And he is already 6ft3 with decent enough weight to get away with it at the next level.

Dahlin and Svechnikov are stone cold locks to be in the NHL unless they pick up an serious injury between now and October.

Looks like he will finish above GPG if he keeps this up. IMO still a better prospect as Laine was.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Should be in the nhl next year, but realistically it always depends on the team he ends up on

dahlin is the only lock

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think there is a strong possibility he makes it but not as much of a lock as Dahlin. Zadina is another wildcard to make the NHL as well. After that there aren't many that strike me as surprising. Veleno is a dark horse simply because his defensive game is pretty well developed at this point that he would not look off playing limited bottom 6 minutes. A lot also depends on who drafts them.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
I think there is a strong possibility he makes it but not as much of a lock as Dahlin. Zadina is another wildcard to make the NHL as well. After that there aren't many that strike me as surprising. Veleno is a dark horse simply because his defensive game is pretty well developed at this point that he would not look off playing limited bottom 6 minutes. A lot also depends on who drafts them.

The only reason why Svech wouldn't make to NHL next season is because of that injury, and he may feel that he didn't play enough games in OHL. Otherwise he should be 100% in along with Dahlin. When is the last time 1st/2nd overall picks didn't make to NHL right away especially with the talent both of them have?

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
27 goals in 29 games at the age of 17. Almost GPG, number one GPG too in the League. To people, who say he doesn't score highlight real goals. Watch last several games. Who was the last prospect who was scoring at this pace in his draft year? I can think only of Connor, 44 goals in 47 games.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The only reason why Svech wouldn't make to NHL next season is because of that injury, and he may feel that he didn't play enough games in OHL. Otherwise he should be 100% in along with Dahlin. When is the last time 1st/2nd overall picks didn't make to NHL right away especially with the talent both of them have?

I think he definitely gets a shot but again it will come down to whoever gets those lotto picks, how he fits into their system and whether he can take a spot from a vet. He won't be thrust into any two-way roles by most coaches. He is a scorer and will likely need to play with some good players on a sheltered line to learn the NHL game for his rookie year. I'm not saying he shouldn't be in the NHL I'm saying there's an outside chance he might not make a team out of camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad