RW Andrei Svechnikov (2018, 2nd, CAR) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Anyone else get a very awkward skating vibe? Not that his skating is bad, but it seems like he is off-balance a lot when he skates. Other than that, he seems like your typical russian sniper with a long reach.

Reactions: KK91

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Anyone else get a very awkward skating vibe? Not that his skating is bad, but it seems like he is off-balance a lot when he skates. Other than that, he seems like your typical russian sniper with a long reach.

Yeah, I think for sure his stride looks pretty awkward and off-balance as well. Doesn't seem to be hindering him though but it's pretty weird to see when everyone else is praising his skating like mad. Glad I'm not the only one who has picked up on that.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Bust was writen on elder Svechnikov's face right after he was picked in the 1st round. Younger Svechnikov is a whole different story. Pity, he isn't the next great Russian player, as many thought.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
^^^
Wow, you guys are a tough crowd!

51 points in his rookie AHL season, before the neck injury. Seems like he was a fairly promising prospect.

I hope he can overcome the neck injury and reach his potential.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
^^^
Wow, you guys are a tough crowd!

51 points in his rookie AHL season, before the neck injury. Seems like he was a fairly promising prospect.

I hope he can overcome the neck injury and reach his potential.

Well, who knows, Evgeny still can become an NHLer. But he will never become even 50% of a player, Kaprizov already is. How he could be picked in the 1st and Kaprizov in the 5th, that's the question...

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I'm sorry, but it seems like Svechnikov is the consensus #2-3 picks but every time i watch him, i'm left wanting more and being unimpressed. Do you think he stays that high on list because of earlier consensus? Or can someone tells me more as to why makes him such a high ranked prospect? I do not know him as much as I would like to. Just want to see if my feeling is right or if I'm really mistaken. Thanks.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, who knows, Evgeny still can become an NHLer. But he will never become even 50% of a player, Kaprizov already is. How he could be picked in the 1st and Kaprizov in the 5th, that's the question...

For starters, one was a 6’3” player in junior and the other was a 5’9” player in Russia. People can talk about talent, but there has to a dedication to coming over too. Gusev was a great pick for Tampa based on talent, but it didn’t end up doing them much good, did it?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Lol, I'll get back to your words in a few years, when Evgeny Svechnikov will become 0.5 PPG player in the KHL, exactly as Burmistrov...

I hope it is fun for you to cheer against your countrymen (and I assume you are Russian). I think this makes you sad.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
For starters, one was a 6’3” player in junior and the other was a 5’9” player in Russia. People can talk about talent, but there has to a dedication to coming over too. Gusev was a great pick for Tampa based on talent, but it didn’t end up doing them much good, did it?

At the same age, when Kaprizov scored 42 points in 49 games in the KHL, Gusev played in the MHL. And he even played in the MHL the year after that. So as great as he is right now, you can't blame NHL teams, they weren't very eager to bring Gusev to the NHL. Kaprizov, on the other side, could be very helpful to Minnesota right now. And he could have played in Minnesota right now, if the team's management did it right...

But ok, it's Andrey Svechnikov's thread, I stop talking offtopics.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'm sorry, but it seems like Svechnikov is the consensus #2-3 picks but every time i watch him, i'm left wanting more and being unimpressed. Do you think he stays that high on list because of earlier consensus? Or can someone tells me more as to why makes him such a high ranked prospect? I do not know him as much as I would like to. Just want to see if my feeling is right or if I'm really mistaken. Thanks.
I'm there with you. I don't claim to have seen a ton of the guy or be "in the know" or anything, but from what I have seen I just don't see anything super special about him.

I'm just gonna take everyone else's word for it though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
At the same age, when Kaprizov scored 42 points in 49 games in the KHL, Gusev played in the MHL. And he even played in the MHL the year after that.

Hmm. Not sure how relevant that is...

So as great as he is right now, you can't blame NHL teams, they weren't very eager to bring Gusev to the NHL. Kaprizov, on the other side, could be very helpful to Minnesota right now. And he could have played in Minnesota right now, if the team's management did it right...

I would say eagerness is a two-way street in that situation, and "doing it right" is subjective.

A player already having committed to playing in NA virtually eliminates a lot of those hassles/variables. And that's without taking into consideration the size discrepancy.

KK91

Jan 7, 2009

I've watched him a lot in the past two weeks. I was at the Barrie game vs Niagara and the Top Prospects game recently and I must have counted at least 5 different times per game where he looked like a mop on the ice. He definitely has trouble staying on his feet or something. I thought that was just me though that noticed this phenomena lol

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I've watched him a lot in the past two weeks. I was at the Barrie game vs Niagara and the Top Prospects game recently and I must have counted at least 5 different times per game where he looked like a mop on the ice. He definitely has trouble staying on his feet or something. I thought that was just me though that noticed this phenomena lol
He was pretty awful in both Niagara games I've seen him play but I'm sure it's just a small sample size

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
How does he compare to Laine and Pulljujarvi pre-draft?
Behind Laine after the world championships (possibly just Liiga playoffs Laine would be ahead on), on par to slightly ahead of Puljujarvi.

He's probably in the middle ground between the two skill set wise.

He's the best OHL winger of this decade along with Hall and Marner.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Craig Button thinks that he got the best skating in this draft. I think can understand the logic here: he's got that extra gear (very similar to Kuznetsov) that you just either have it or you don't.

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Another multi-point game (1+1), 7th in a row. Has 40 points now in 28 games. He is such a great player especially in the corners protecting a puck. And to people who complains about his skating. According to many scouts, he has one of the best skating in this draft. May be here and there it seemed that he looked awkward but otherwise he has an amazing skating especially considering how tall he is for his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad