RW Alexander Nylander (2016, 8th, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Based on talent alone he should make it but this really is a tournament of 19 year olds and most likely he will get bypassed for an older player. Even if he appears to be better than players that make the team, his skillset might be redundant and he will still get cut.

Sweden has not shied away from picking U18 forwards, have picked at least one five years in a row with Rakell, Forsberg/Collberg, De La Rose, Karlsson, Lööke. He's clearly the best -98 forward so he's got a shot for sure.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Sweden has not shied away from picking U18 forwards, have picked at least one five years in a row with Rakell, Forsberg/Collberg, De La Rose, Karlsson, Lööke. He's clearly the best -98 forward so he's got a shot for sure.

I do not know if I agree with that.

There is also a different from many other years, this year he have many that play last year that is eligable even this year, and I think it will take a lot for him to move anyone. Karlsson should not have played last year, but still he did.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I do not know if I agree with that.
There is also a different from many other years, this year he have many that play last year that is eligable even this year, and I think it will take a lot for him to move anyone. Karlsson should not have played last year, but still he did.

Who is better than Alex Nylander then? For me it's not even close.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

Who is better than Alex Nylander then? For me it's not even close.

Well I havnt seen Nylander in OHL, maybe he has taking big steps this season, but he wasnt any special in superelit last season, then E Pettersson was a lot better, I do not know why he had a slow start this season. Also, Lindström, Lias Andersson, is worth mention.

But overall I am not that hype over the 98 class.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Some are even pointing out that if William Nylander is made available it could potentially bump his brother out of the running as it pushes everyone down a notch on the depth chart. Quite ironic eh.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Some are even pointing out that if William Nylander is made available it could potentially bump his brother out of the running as it pushes everyone down a notch on the depth chart. Quite ironic eh.

That could definitely happen. They would bring the exact same thing to the team although currently William is of course way ahead. The biggest problem with Alex is his slight frame and he'll also need an offensive role to really thrive.

Last edited:

bobbyt 91*

That could definitely happen. They would bring the exact same thing to the team although currently William is of course way ahead. The biggest problem with Alex is his slight frame and he'll also need an offensive role to realy thrive.

I think Willy should only go if his Bro is on the team. If Willy goes its not even going to be fair.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Looks great again tonight, dangerous on every shift.

He looks so similar to his brother, it's weird. He has that same puck stripping talent that William does too. Alex is a little bit more aggressive and willing when it comes to the physical aspect of the game.

If it weren't for Vince Dunn, Nylander would have had a goal as he totally stripped the Niagara player of the puck in the 2nd period.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wonder if Toronto does everything they can to get this kid. The rebuild is now, might as well base it around two young brothers.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Wonder if Toronto does everything they can to get this kid. The rebuild is now, might as well base it around two young brothers.

Leafs will take the BPA with their picks, if one of those are Alexander so be it. On a side note, brothers on the same NHL team hasn't really worked out well in recent memory (staals, schenns, kostitsyn's)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We aspired for this with the Schenn's, don't think Philly is enjoying the experience too much. If he's the logical choice with one of our picks I'm all for it, but we shouldn't prioritize it. At the very least I want Matthew, Chychrun, and the two Finns over him (if Laine isn't a headcase).

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Alex is bigger and he looks like a better finisher to me. He also looks chippier. I may reprise this as I get more viewings. But it would not surprise me if he will be the better player one day.

There is nothing to indicate the he is a better finisher than William. William has been a better goal scorer than him at every level.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There is nothing to indicate the he is a better finisher than William. William has been a better goal scorer than him at every level.

Alexander Nylander is already ranked higher than William was in Bob Mckenzie's pre-season rankings at #6, just behind Matthew Tkachuk at #5 in a very strong Matthews/Chychrun draft. Nylander was 11th in his mid-term rankings in 2014. Scouts are very high on Alexander it would seem. From what I have seen, I would not disagree.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Alexander Nylander is already ranked higher than William was in Bob Mckenzie's pre-season rankings at #6, just behind Matthew Tkachuk at #5 in a very strong Matthews/Chychrun draft. Nylander was 11th in his mid-term rankings in 2014. Scouts are very high on Alexander it would seem. From what I have seen, I would not disagree.

Maybe you should go back to see where Bob Mckenzie ranked William the year before his draft.

I'm not arguing Alex isn't a great prospect or will be great, but Will has quite literally been better than him in every single comparable league they played in.

Not saying Alex won't be better but he'll have to do a lot because he's not the playmaker his brother is and the goal scoring is similar.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe you should go back to see where Bob Mckenzie ranked William the year before his draft.

I'm not arguing Alex isn't a great prospect or will be great, but Will has quite literally been better than him in every single comparable league they played in.

Not saying Alex won't be better but he'll have to do a lot because he's not the playmaker his brother is and the goal scoring is similar.

Not going to make this another William Nylander discussion. Since I wanted to focus on Alex Nylander and my viewings of him, which in Mississauga is easy for me to watch games will only grow. But Mckenzie's rankings from his usual 10 scout consensus verifies what I see in him. Which is what I stated above.

http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=31165
I'm telling you, the leafs were lucky nylander fell in the season to them. Lucky like Washington was with Forsberg.

Depends if you put stock in Mckenzie's rankings or not. He was 11th and 9th in his ranking mid-term and final rankings. William actually went a little higher than where he was ranked. To term a team lucky to get a player based on where they were ranked. I would say Larkin fits the criteria more than William did.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Alex is bigger and he looks like a better finisher to me. He also looks chippier. I may reprise this as I get more viewings. But it would not surprise me if he will be the better player one day.

He doesn't have all of Willam's raw offensive upside though. Every comparable league that they have played in, William's put up better offensive numbers. The only thing about Alex that I like more is that he seems to play a little better defensively and has the potential to put on a bit more weight. Offensively though, at age 17 William was quite a bit ahead of where Alex is now.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He doesn't have all of Willam's raw offensive upside though. Every comparable league that they have played in, William's put up better offensive numbers. The only thing about Alex that I like more is that he seems to play a little better defensively and has the potential to put on a bit more weight. Offensively though, at age 17 William was quite a bit ahead of where Alex is now.

David Pastrnak didn't have William's Swedish stats either. But made the NHL at 18 and produced.

What I am saying is based what I have seen from Alexander Nylander thus far, I have been very impressed. I trust my eyes and my evaluations. But I would not be surprised if Alexander Nylander becomes a better player than William Nylander.

Leafs fans do not have to get their defences up again. As this was more of a compliment to Alexander as I have said multiple times here that William is a very good prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad