Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Read the Black Book entry on him, mate. That may sell him on you. :)

I will get to that tomorrow. They definitely rate him higher then I do.

I don't mind the grit/skill combo but we seem to be grabbing too many players with skating issues. The league is getting faster and faster and unless your Cole who thinks the game a couple steps ahead it will be difficult to translate especially for a player that plays a more power type game.

But as always I'm more then happy to be proven wrong.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I will get to that tomorrow. They definitely rate him higher then I do.

I don't mind the grit/skill combo but we seem to be grabbing too many players with skating issues. The league is getting faster and faster and unless your Cole who thinks the game a couple steps ahead it will be difficult to translate especially for a player that plays a more power type game.

But as always I'm more then happy to be proven wrong.
Similar to Perfetti, the Black Book folks seem to think Rutger has the smarts to overcome any skating deficiencies.

Reactions: TommyKillian

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I have this feeling that McGroarty's skating will improve, and he'll make it as a C. Just based upon stuff I've been reading.

He feels like he'll be a replacement for PLD in 3-4 seasons.

Still not who I would have selected at 14OA, but learning to live with it.

Hopefully we can look back on it and say what a great selection it was.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I have this feeling that McGroarty's skating will improve, and he'll make it as a C. Just based upon stuff I've been reading.

He feels like he'll be a replacement for PLD in 3-4 seasons.

Still not who I would have selected at 14OA, but learning to live with it.

Hopefully we can look back on it and say what a great selection it was.
I think we'll look back on it and say, oh well at least it wasn't as bad as the Lambert pick. Welcome to Winnipeg, Iron Balls McGinty. :laugh:

7FqwZ5V.gif

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Initially a little down we didn't take Lekki or Kemmel, after reading more I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops. Sounds like he is really working on his skating with an excellent coach.
Love hearing that he seems himself something like a Tkachuk type. Love seeing how high hockeyprospect.com is on him.

Reactions: thereturn

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
IF HE IS TRENDING UPWARDS, then he could be a MASSIVE steal. I hope that is the case as he wasn't ranked high by anyone. I do LOVE the story that Buffalo would have taken him at 16 and he may end up being the steal of the draft so far. I was hoping the Jets would have took Kemell

Ranked #27 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING

Ranked #40 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #15 by FCHOCKEY

Ranked #27 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE

Ranked #36 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #26 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON

Ranked #22 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Ranked #25 by SPORTSNET

Ranked #23 by ISS HOCKEY

Ranked #28 by RECRUIT SCOUTING

Ranked #27 by DOBBERPROSPECTS

Ranked #16 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

Ranked #20 by SMAHT SCOUTING

Ranked #25 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY

contestant-amazed.gif

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I'm not going to lie I really don't see much in terms of high end talent here. Skating is average at best and he doesn't seem to have the puck much at all in the shift-by-shifts I've seen. Not everyday you get the chance to draft in the first half of the first round and with with skilled players like Lekkeramaki and Kemell left on the board it feels like a bit of a reach. I can't help but feel like at best he is a complimentary top six player who can finish off plays and play with energy/physicallity which seems like a low ceiling for a guy picked at 14OA.

Going to have to trust Chevy on this one.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I'm not going to lie I really don't see much in terms of high end talent here. Skating is average at best and he doesn't seem to have the puck much at all in the shift-by-shifts I've seen. Not everyday you get the chance to draft in the first half of the first round and with with skilled players like Lekkeramaki and Kemell left on the board it feels like a bit of a reach. I can't help but feel like at best he is a complimentary top six player who can finish off plays and play with energy/physicallity which seems like a low ceiling for a guy picked at 14OA.

I guess that you weren’t around in 2011 when jets hf fans tore Scheifele apart. I predict that this will have a similar outcome. Also, having been to Nebraska I hope that Rutger will enjoy Winnipeg and be a fit here. That can’t be said for everyone. Our second pick will be a challenge on several fronts, I predict.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
McGroarty- Perfetti - Lucius (Switch around as best fit, they've all played centre)

Full forward line drafted from the last 3 drafts. Complimentary too? Hard-nosed to the net McGroarty, puck distributor Perfetti and goal scorer Lucius.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't mind the pick. Rankings were all over the place. Calling it a reach or a steal is a bit premature.

Very typical Jets pick lately. American winger who has a high compete level, maybe some issues with skating that they feel can be fixed. Players like Kemell or Lekkermaki being there may be higher rated skill wise but I think McGroarty is going to be more consistent than those guys.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don't mind the pick. Rankings were all over the place. Calling it a reach or a steal is a bit premature.

Very typical Jets pick lately. American winger who has a high compete level, maybe some issues with skating that they feel can be fixed. Players like Kemell or Lekkermaki being there may be higher rated skill wise but I think McGroarty is going to be more consistent than those guys.
Based on …?

I’m not challenging you, just generally curious. I’m beginning to warm up more and more on Rutger, and not just because he’s got a great name, so I’d appreciate all the more reasons to be optimistic.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Ive been seeing a trend for the past 3 drafts where we've taken high IQ goalscorers with clunkyish skating. Perfetti, Luciuz and now McGroarty.

I honestly like it, as long as they develop and stay healthy. It's a pretty wicked goalscoring core.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He has really high end skill. He just doesn’t play in a way where he relies on holding the puck for long amounts of time. He’s not going to circle the perimeter with the puck like Kane or Hughes. He uses his skill in small areas and shows it with quick little plays instead of long stretches trying to dangle around a whole team. He also plays a lot around the net and is not a perimeter player, so there’s less space for those skill plays. He’s capable of it though. Could run a PP with his combination of passing/shooting.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

That is where I'm at with this pick as well. If he hits I see more of a Hyman type top 6 complimentary guy. You need these types as well but I'm more in the camp that you try to get high end ay driving skill in the top half of the draft.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Based on …?

I’m not challenging you, just generally curious. I’m beginning to warm up more and more on Rutger, and not just because he’s got a great name, so I’d appreciate all the more reasons to be optimistic.

Just what I've read about him. For some reason I always think of Perfetti as an American college guy, must be the red white and blue of Saginaw.

I know Perfetti had scouts concerned about his skating in his draft year. Lucius also had concerns about his skating. The one consistent thing is that they have high compete level. Good shots too

Contrast that to someone like Lekkermaki or Kemell who have a ton of skill, but seem to project as more one dimensional, at least in my view.

Reactions: snowkiddin

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He has really high end skill. He just doesn’t play in a way where he relies on holding the puck for long amounts of time. He’s not going to circle the perimeter with the puck like Kane or Hughes. He uses his skill in small areas and shows it with quick little plays instead of long stretches trying to dangle around a whole team. He also plays a lot around the net and is not a perimeter player, so there’s less space for those skill plays. He’s capable of it though. Could run a PP with his combination of passing/shooting.

Won't need to run the PP, Perfetti will be the qb. He'll likely be in the bumper position.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ive been seeing a trend for the past 3 drafts where we've taken high IQ goalscorers with clunkyish skating. Perfetti, Luciuz and now McGroarty.

I honestly like it, as long as they develop and stay healthy. It's a pretty wicked goalscoring core.

Well Cole is more playmaker then scorer. Never worried about his skating because his game didn't revolve around it.

I'm more worried about Lucious truth be told as his game is already pretty limiter to being good in juat one area. He's going to need to grow in so many other areas to make a positive impact at the NHL level.

McGroty seems to have a rounded game he can fall back on where a guy like Chad doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad