Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The captain of Team USA at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships, Rutger McGroarty scored eight goals and one assist for nine points in six games and led the team to a silver medal. McGroarty was named a top-three player on the team. His performance came on the heels of a successful season with the US National Team Development Program Under-18 Team. McGroarty put up 35 goals and 34 assists for 69 games in 54 games with the NTDP against both USHL and NCAA opposition.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Amazing hockey name. I wouldn’t have picked him here but excited to see what he can do. Time to do a deep dive on him

Reactions: Fairview

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Liking the Rutger pick.

14152852-6700-49C5-A197-7B15C9839BE7.png

MrWigglez

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe with the state of things and the number of prospects leaving Winnipeg ASAP, they decided that potentially sacrificing a bit of skill and instead drafting someone who genuinely wants to be in Winnipeg was the best choice.

I've never seen a kid so pumped to be drafted before...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
ok the more I look in this guy the more I like it. I didn't realize how close his point production is to Nazar's who played on the same team (Nazar with 3 more points in 1 more game played). And he has more size on Nazar, better +/- (+78 vs +64) and way more PIMs (yes I know +/- and PIMs are flawed stats but regardless). Definitely seems like a solid pick.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah offense / scoring shouldn't be looked at as a knock here, he's one of the top scorers in this draft class.

The issue for me it more trying to suss out who were the real drivers at the NTDP cause that whole team is right up there.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this is an excellent pick by you guys. I had him ranked 7th, but I think he could end up the best player from this draft. I think he has the highest scoring upside of any forward in this draft. He reminds me of Leon Draisaitl a little. His shooting/passing ability is elite. As soon as you see a high danger scoring chance developing with McGroarty part of it, you know the puck is going in the net because his passing is that precise and good at giving his teammates good chances to score, and his shot is that hard and accurate. He's also very good at finding space in the offensive zone and good with quick give and go type plays. I think he has very good hockey sense. Also has a very high skill level, although I wouldn't say he's one of these danglers that'll hold onto the puck for long amounts of time. He uses his skill more to score and less for flash. People say his skating is bad, but I have never seen it as a weakness. I'm not saying it's good, but I've always seen it as average. It doesn't impede him or help him. He's also good defensively. Plays the PK. Good in all situations. He has some grit and physicality to his game.

I also think there's a chance he could play center. He hasn't played any at the USNTDP, but he was a natural center before then. They couldn't have everyone play center because his team must've had close to 10 natural centers. I thought they did a pretty bad job of picking who should play center, as I don't see what's keeping him from playing center. He was also the captain of the USNTDP, and usually they don't name it so early on and keep it so set, but he's one of those players that is the leader of teams he plays for. His father was a minor league player, and then a coach and now GM in the USHL. He grew up in a hockey rink. I have a feeling he's going to only continue to get better. I'm not guaranteeing this, but it would not surprise me if he hits 100 points once or twice in his career. I think his scoring ability is that good.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I wasn’t happy missing out on Lekkerimaki, Kemell, Lambert, etc. but after some review I think it’s a good mix with our smaller, skilled centers in Perfetti and Lucius. McGroarty is the kind of hard nosed winger that could do well with them.

Reactions: Jetland162702

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad