Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
Don't mind the pick - welcome to Winnipeg Rutger!

Sniped on Nazar though, damn!

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Kinda wanted Howard with what was left on the board at the time, but I like him too. And I guess we could get both still.

Once I wanted us to trade up to 5th or so to get Connor and use 17 on Harkins. Could be one of those days

Reactions: Flair Hay

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Think the grit, smarts without needing the puck, shot/net front will be a nice complement long-term to Perfetti and Connor. I’d say Ehlers but who knows if he’s around when Ruttiger makes it to the big club.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Don't know much about the kid but was surprised to see him this high. Love the enthusiasm too, so I'm happy with the selection overall?

How many years does he need to develop before making the big league?

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I don't think McGroarty was going to be available at #30 (Bob had him ranked at 27), but I think Jets maybe could've traded down a few spots for a team that might have swung for Kemell or Lekkerimaki and still get him. Models love him as a solid pick; if he can fix his skating (his biggest drawback according to Elite Prospects) with Barb Underhill, he looks to me like he has a solid floor (but maybe not a high ceiling).

Nov 24, 2006
I think this is an excellent pick by you guys. I had him ranked 7th, but I think he could end up the best player from this draft. I think he has the highest scoring upside of any forward in this draft. He reminds me of Leon Draisaitl a little. His shooting/passing ability is elite. As soon as you see a high danger scoring chance developing with McGroarty part of it, you know the puck is going in the net because his passing is that precise and good at giving his teammates good chances to score, and his shot is that hard and accurate. He's also very good at finding space in the offensive zone and good with quick give and go type plays. I think he has very good hockey sense. Also has a very high skill level, although I wouldn't say he's one of these danglers that'll hold onto the puck for long amounts of time. He uses his skill more to score and less for flash. People say his skating is bad, but I have never seen it as a weakness. I'm not saying it's good, but I've always seen it as average. It doesn't impede him or help him. He's also good defensively. Plays the PK. Good in all situations. He has some grit and physicality to his game.

I also think there's a chance he could play center. He hasn't played any at the USNTDP, but he was a natural center before then. They couldn't have everyone play center because his team must've had close to 10 natural centers. I thought they did a pretty bad job of picking who should play center, as I don't see what's keeping him from playing center. He was also the captain of the USNTDP, and usually they don't name it so early on and keep it so set, but he's one of those players that is the leader of teams he plays for. His father was a minor league player, and then a coach and now GM in the USHL. He grew up in a hockey rink. I have a feeling he's going to only continue to get better. I'm not guaranteeing this, but it would not surprise me if he hits 100 points once or twice in his career. I think his scoring ability is that good.
Thank you for this.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I don't think McGroarty was going to be available at #30 (Bob had him ranked at 27), but I think Jets maybe could've traded down a few spots for a team that might have swung for Kemell or Lekkerimaki and still get him. Models love him as a solid pick; if he can fix his skating (his biggest drawback according to Elite Prospects) with Barb Underhill, he looks to me like he has a solid floor (but maybe not a high ceiling).

I am almost 99 percent on this that Buffalo was going to take him at 16

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
IF HE IS TRENDING UPWARDS, then he could be a MASSIVE steal. I hope that is the case as he wasn't ranked high by anyone. I do LOVE the story that Buffalo would have taken him at 16 and he may end up being the steal of the draft so far. I was hoping the Jets would have took Kemell

Ranked #27 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING

Ranked #40 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #15 by FCHOCKEY

Ranked #27 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE

Ranked #36 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #26 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON

Ranked #22 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Ranked #25 by SPORTSNET

Ranked #23 by ISS HOCKEY

Ranked #28 by RECRUIT SCOUTING

Ranked #27 by DOBBERPROSPECTS

Ranked #16 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

Ranked #20 by SMAHT SCOUTING

Ranked #25 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
1657249559982.png

He definitely appears excited to be drafted by the Winnipeg Jets!

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Meh, play that game to gain a mid round pick and lose the better player potentially? Take the player you want. From the outside we’re talking about all these ranking lists that are meaningless to team draft boards.

Only way I’d ever make that deal is if I had 4-5 guys ranked basically in a dead heat and was trading back within that range.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Really don't care much for this pick. Seems like a likely third line guy with a small chance to be a second line guy. Just a meh pick imo especially where we picked from.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Hated the pick when it was called, but makes sense in the context of our next core potentially having small, skilled players in Perfetti and Lucius

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Article about McGroarty on TSN before the draft: McGroarty bringing Tkachuk-style leadership to NHL - TSN.ca

"A lot of people roast Nebraska and go, 'What's even there?' but I loved it," the 6-foot-1, 204-pound forward said. "There's only a couple hockey rinks, but it was unbelievable. It's so laid-back and people are so nice there. It was definitely an awesome experience."

Sounds like he might fit in within the Peg :laugh:

Edit: Oh yuck, he's a Laffs fan 👎 :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hated the pick when it was called, but makes sense in the context of our next core potentially having small, skilled players in Perfetti and Lucius

Well Lucious is actually pretty big. But yes he's a different mold then Cole, Chibrikov, Lucious, and Rashinsky.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Really don't care much for this pick. Seems like a likely third line guy with a small chance to be a second line guy. Just a meh pick imo especially where we picked from.
Read the Black Book entry on him, mate. That may sell him on you. :)

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad