Confirmed with Link: Russell Traded to Dallas for Jyrki Jokipakka, Brett Pollock, cond. 2nd round pick

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Great trade for us, Pollock is a pretty decent player, he has legit NHL upside. Jokipakka will play, like his size, he can pass and he has decent mobility. He needs to develop more of a mean streak though, but I like him.

3 x 2nd's means we have cash currency, expect us to be active at the draft.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Great TDL for the Flames. I'm a little sad Hudler didn't get more, because I think he's worth more, but Treliving made the right moves and got a solid return on both players, given the market (really a king's ransom for Russell; second best return of the deadline, after Ladd).

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I hope Jokipakka will work out for you guys. His floor and his ceiling are basically the same- a decent bottom pairing defenseman. He's never going to win a Norris but he's perfectly fine in a 5/6 role.

Not sure if anyone has explained his nickname yet but the people at Starbucks could never get his name right so he picked an easier one. The team picked it up and now he's Kevin.

Aug 21, 2014
I hope Jokipakka will work out for you guys. His floor and his ceiling are basically the same- a decent bottom pairing defenseman. He's never going to win a Norris but he's perfectly fine in a 5/6 role.

Not sure if anyone has explained his nickname yet but the people at Starbucks could never get his name right so he picked an easier one. The team picked it up and now he's Kevin.

:laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Bastardization of one of the coolest names in the NHL :laugh:

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada

:laugh: That's awesome, anyone have an idea of how to actually pronounce his name (not exactly like in Finnish, but just how am I supposed to pronounce it in English I mean?)?

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Looking at his fancy numbers, Jokipakka doesn't seem to be much of anything other than a #7 and he isn't all that young anymore. Maybe he'll fit better with the flames (dmen's # vary a lot when they change teams) but seems more like a contract dump tbh. Pollock's stats are more-or-less what's expected from a second round pick (which he is), so it's safe to say his value as exactly that. That conditional pick is either going to be a late 1st or late 2nd; might be the best piece of the deal.

Before joining the flames, Russell used to have much better possession#. I've been harsh on the guy and I'm doubtful he's anything other than a boat anchor at this point, but 1) again, there's a lot of variance when defenseman change of environment and 2) it's not impossible that in a better system where players make shorter passes instead of long bombs, Russell could be a more effective dman.

Not sure it's a king's ransom like it's made out to be by some people on the main board, but I'm glad we traded him for anything. And hey, better than what the canucks got from Hamhuis (that's just too funny and sad, I almost feel sorry for nucks fans).

Last edited:

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Pollock is a good get for Calgary. I covered the Oil Kings for all of last season and can tell you he has some decent potential. Was the best player on the team last year.

My scouting report:

- Pretty good hands (but will try the toe drag too often which likely won't be super effective at the NHL level)

- Great shot, both wrist and slap.

- Noticeably used his body more throughout the season (can't say much about this year)

- Good speed at the junior level, but will need to add more for the pros.

- Seems to be a smart kid when you talk to him.

- Needs to be more willing to protect the puck and beat guys using size, but not bad at it.

- Sometimes takes bad penalties

Here's a story I wrote on him last year:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/edmonton-oil-kings-enjoy-brett-pollocks-powered-up-game

paragon

May 5, 2010
That can be a problem for us Finns. Once I resorted to same tactics at Starbucks in Prague. I tried to figure an easy name they could get right, so I told my name was Jan (as Zelezny). When I got my cup it said Yan. I'll probably just go by Steve from now on.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Sad to see Kevin go, but I think he'll do well paired with a more veteran guy. Honestly, I hated him to start the season, but he improved and has looked better than Nemeth and Oleksiak most of the time. He's gotten better at handling the puck so he now has the occasional great outlet pass or carry into the offensive zone. At the beginning of the season it was like he was handling a grenade, so he's improved. I think he just needs to be able to play more consistently and he'll be a solid bottom pairing guy.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Don't look too much into Jyrkiboy's interviews, he isn't great with words lol. He could be a solid #6 soon.

He's a funny kid, so be nice to him. :)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Great TDL for the Flames. I'm a little sad Hudler didn't get more, because I think he's worth more, but Treliving made the right moves and got a solid return on both players, given the market (really a king's ransom for Russell; second best return of the deadline, after Ladd).

Considering Parenteau and Vrbata didnt return anything, Hudler return is fine for his type of player.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Loved Rusky in his time here. You could tell Treliving and the Flames did too, but they did the right thing in not signing him and trading him. Still would maintain he was the 3rd best defensemen on the team, but a return like that and having so much money tied up in the back end already made him a good target. For a player that probably will never repeat last year's performance anyway, I think he did very well.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Hope if the Penguins can't win the cup, that Dallas does, good for us with the pick, and also would like to see Russell and Benn lift the cup. Would be neat to see Spezza win it too

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
wow, okay that was actually a fairly decent pickup for Russell.
wasn't over the moon, but 2 younger cost controlled players and a 2nd that might become a 1st is a very good trade.
I think Dallas fans will warm up to him eventually. just a class act all around.
gonna miss you Rusty!

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Hope if the Penguins can't win the cup, that Dallas does, good for us with the pick, and also would like to see Russell and Benn lift the cup. Would be neat to see Spezza win it too

But if they win the cup vs if they just lose in the WCF the pick would go down by a few positions, we can't have that happening.

:sarcasm:

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
Is there a convention to why we are calling this a conditional 2nd round pick? I view it as a conditional 1rst round pick that drops to a guaranteed 2nd.

Granted I don't think many have the Stars as a lock to make the division finals so maybe it has to do with likelihood of occurrence, but it just seems to be more often than not that the higher potential pick is referenced.

I think it has to be an optics thing from the DAL side, easier to sell the 2nd than a 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad