Confirmed with Link: Russell Traded to Dallas for Jyrki Jokipakka, Brett Pollock, cond. 2nd round pick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is Hudler the only garbage return? IMO we made off like bandits on Granlund and Russell.

The Jones trade was sheer garbage too. We take a cap dunp and give them a player for a 6th is laughable. That is almost literally giving him away, might as well have let him walk.

The Granlund trade isn't even a factor since he wasn't even a regular in the lineup.

The Russell deal was not a "steal though". Fair, yeah but the conditional first has everyone brainwashed into thinking it's better than it is when Dallas's chances of getting past Chicago as extremely thin.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
The Jones trade was sheer garbage too. We take a cap dunp and give them a player for a 6th is laughable. That is almost literally giving him away, might as well have let him walk.

The Granlund trade isn't even a factor since he wasn't even a regular in the lineup.

The Russell deal was not a "steal though". Fair, yeah but the conditional first has everyone brainwashed into thinking it's better than it is when Dallas's chances of getting past Chicago as extremely thin.

Based on what players were getting I think it's a pretty good deal. BT didn't rob them blind but we got a solid deal. Dallas doesn't have a great chance but it's better than nothing and probably why they were willing to do the deal. Also the trade is amazing in that Russell likely isn't in the future plans at the cap numbers being thrown around and we got a few assets for him.

What's not to like?

Jones trade is just meh all around. Jones? Meh. Bakstrom? Meh. UFA at seasons end and not signing here. 6th? A roll of the dice.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I thought it fairly obvious that the Jones and Granlund trades were to facilitate some call ups from Stockton. Neither had much of a future here, and frankly not much of a future in the NHL either. Have my doubts either are in the league in 4 years. The call ups have all played fairly well IMO, especially Hathaway and Wotherspoon. Any NHL experience is valuable for these kids. Hope some of them can push out Bollig and Jooris next year.

Agree the Hudler return was disappointing, but not immensely so considering he's over 30, smallish and soft, and had been battling injuries throughout the year. His game doesn't really lend itself to the playoffs either, though I think he'll help the Panther's PP. Not to mention he's a rental.

Russel return was great no matter how you look at it, but probably had more to do with market value than Treliving conning Nill. 3 assets for a player we likely couldn't afford to bring back is good GMing, and this franchise hasn't seen good GMing in a good long while.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I thought it fairly obvious that the Jones and Granlund trades were to facilitate some call ups from Stockton. Neither had much of a future here, and frankly not much of a future in the NHL either. Have my doubts either are in the league in 4 years. The call ups have all played fairly well IMO, especially Hathaway and Wotherspoon. Any NHL experience is valuable for these kids. Hope some of them can push out Bollig and Jooris next year.

Agree the Hudler return was disappointing, but not immensely so considering he's over 30, smallish and soft, and had been battling injuries throughout the year. His game doesn't really lend itself to the playoffs either, though I think he'll help the Panther's PP. Not to mention he's a rental.

Russel return was great no matter how you look at it, but probably had more to do with market value than Treliving conning Nill. 3 assets for a player we likely couldn't afford to bring back is good GMing, and this franchise hasn't seen good GMing in a good long while.

Get out of my head! :laugh:

May 27, 2012
Earth
And now Backstrom gets his first start in like 14 months

Can't wait.

51ea3458941fff8a0ce3ed1168890131.jpg

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Still really like the deal for us.

Agreed. A first would have been great but I'm not upset with the deal. Kevin looked good and Pollock appears to be a solid prospect.

Still hard to believe the return we got for a guy who was on waivers a few years back. :laugh:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Confirmed: Russell for Pollock, Kevin, 2nd rounder.

Any final thoughts?

Still really content with this deal. Considering the next best defensemsn wasn't even traded. I think it says a lot.

Brad Treliving uses 2nds as currency. I could see him using the Flames' and one of the high ones to solve major holes.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
We could easily flip a couple 2nd's to move into the first, although in this draft I am not sure that it is worth it.

There's bound to be a couple guys, specifically wingers available at 25-30 imo. Moving a couple 2nds and a prospect might be enough to straight up buy a piece though which would be cool.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Russell for Joki in itself is an even trade. Add a 2nd and Pollock on top of that just makes it really nice for us I think. Would've been nice to have a 1st but oh well. Still happy with this return.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Would you say all 3 pieces we got were worth about a 2nd?

Jokipakka = 2nd (Not bad since he was drafted with a 7th)
2nd = 2nd
Pollock = 2nd (45th OA pick in 2014)

That's pretty damn good IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad