Confirmed with Link: Russell Traded to Dallas for Jyrki Jokipakka, Brett Pollock, cond. 2nd round pick

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I was curious so I did the thing.

20t16rk.png

This confirms bottom pairing guy I assume.

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Is there a convention to why we are calling this a conditional 2nd round pick? I view it as a conditional 1rst round pick that drops to a guaranteed 2nd.

Granted I don't think many have the Stars as a lock to make the division finals so maybe it has to do with likelihood of occurrence, but it just seems to be more often than not that the higher potential pick is referenced.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
could Jokipakka play top 4 minutes next season?

Giordano - Brodie
Jokipakka - Hamilton?

I was initially thinking he really solidifies the 3rd pairing, but he could also be the perfect stay-at-home foil for Hamilton.

He's a real solid defenseman though. I would have preferred Nemeth, but Jokipakka is almost neck-and-neck with him,

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
I saw Jokipakka pretty much when he played in the Finnish Elite League. He's definitely a defence first guy, and he's upside isn't too high. However, I think that he's a good fit for our D next season, if he plays in the third pairing.

Giordano - Brodie
X - Hamilton
Jokipakka - Wideman

Jokipakka should be an upgrade to Smid and Engelland at least. :laugh:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I saw Jokipakka pretty much when he played in the Finnish Elite League. He's definitely a defence first guy, and he's upside isn't too high. However, I think that he's a good fit for our D next season, if he plays in the third pairing.

Giordano - Brodie
X - Hamilton
Jokipakka - Wideman

Wotherspoon deserves a shot with Hamilton imo

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
So a younger Smid, a developing centre and a 2nd round pick? :sarcasm:

Don't think we could've got much more. Sweetish.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Pollock rated the same as Klimchuk on HF - 7.0 C

Not that it means much, but for comparison...

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Jokipakka sounds so sad on the fan :laugh:

Yeah, maybe because no playoffs for him this season. But I think that it'll be good for him, becaue in Dallas they had more defenders who are young, border NHL/AHL-players. Flames atm don't have as high competition, so I'm happy to have Jyrki here.

Aug 3, 2010
I was curious so I did the thing.

20t16rk.png

This confirms bottom pairing guy I assume.

Future Smid/Engelland replacement over the next 2 seasons. Only 24 years old, one should be able to safely assume he's more mobile than Smid. Probably a decent #5 in his prime unless he discovers another gear. Seems like he is at least a decent passer/isn't too boneheaded.

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Wow! Jokipakka was a former 7th round pick, I always get happy to see late round picks make the NHL.

Anyone know anything about Pollock? He seems like he could be something, still really young.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Props to your competent management on getting a steal for a lesser d-man. Jealous that you have a guy like Treliving running things. Just know that you guys don't have to worry about the Canucks for a very good while..

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Giordano - Brodie
X - Hamilton
Jokipakka - Wideman

I am not sure he is better than Engelland at all. Smid isn't really an NHL player anymore.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I am not sure he is better than Engelland at all. Smid isn't really an NHL player anymore.

I agree. People need to realize that just about every team's fan base has players they rag on. If the Stars had acquired Smid, some of them would probably be saying "he should at least be better than Jyrki."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad