Russ Brandon resigns as Sabres / Bills President, Kim Pegula assumes role

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Given the Bills record during his tenure, #1 may not have actually been a priority either.
Arrived at office 8am, handled Bills business by 9am, spent the remainder of the day exhausting himself in "meetings".
I think your on to something here..........

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
This is my favorite one of 7 pages of overreaction.
The Pegula's have been far from perfect, but some fans really don't appreciate what they've actually done for the team(s) and the city of buffalo. Harbor Center looks pretty good these days and they had a lot to do with that. Not to mention the fact that neither teams are going anywhere soon. :dunno:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
All joking aside, this must be devastating for the Pegulas. Brandon was one guy they thought they could trust and be a core piece of their organization. I don't think they're going to be in a hiring mood.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Am I the only one that's ok with JB running the entire hockey department? To me, he walks and talks like an executive and I don't think it's necessary to get some dinosaur in above him to "oversee things" on the hockey side.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Am I the only one that's ok with JB running the entire hockey department? To me, he walks and talks like an executive and I don't think it's necessary to get some dinosaur in above him to "oversee things" on the hockey side.

He has his MBA from the The Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan. He's probably more qualified to run a business than someone who's just been around a long time. I know people want Lombardi but the Kings style of hockey isn't the style we went to play and I'm not sure he could adapt. From all reports no one knows the cap from both the team side and the league side like Botterill either.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I have no idea who should be head of hockey operations but whoever it is I hope it is a pure hockey guy who is educated and loves the game. I will give it to Galisano. He did a hell of a job turning a profit with this team and now its become a joke.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have no idea who should be head of hockey operations but whoever it is I hope it is a pure hockey guy who is educated and loves the game. I will give it to Galisano. He did a hell of a job turning a profit with this team and now its become a joke.

It’s now a joke because of Golisano’s actions around scouting, player development while he owned the team. That foundation was laid under his stewardship.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
It’s now a joke because of Golisano’s actions around scouting, player development while he owned the team. That foundation was laid under his stewardship.
Ah no, that is nonsense. It has turned into a sideshow with revolving coaches and GMs, in fighting,, Lafontaine fiasco, contract extensions with firings within a year, we have had more staff turnover than the WH since Pegula has taken over. The fact that you don't see Tim Murray trading away a boat load of draft picks then you blame Galisano just wow.

Keep pushing that agenda. Its been 7 years and you blame Galisano. That is just insanity

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Ah no, that is nonsense. It has turned into a sideshow with revolving coaches and GMs, in fighting,, Lafontaine fiasco, contract extensions with firings within a year, we have had more staff turnover than the WH since Pegula has taken over.

Keep pushing that agenda. Its been 7 years and you blame Galisano. That is just insanity

Look at the draft record, especially after the second round, under Golisano.

That is what Chain is talking about setting the foundation for the mess the Sabres are currently in.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

You're probably not the only one, but I disagree with this idea completely, ESPECIALLY at this point.

At the least, Buffalo could've easily handled the situation much like Toronto handled the Lou and "their GM" situation. Buffalo could've hired a President of Hockey operations (that dealt with the hockey side of things) where they could've set a timeline for someone to oversee the whole Hockey Department to make sure it's stable enough, that Jason has a good enough grasp on his own job amd everything (since he's still learning the job each day) and that the team has a set of Organizational Standards that long term future Sabres players would be held to, and that the coaching development of Housley, and Taylor are running on schedule and to make sure if they aren't that things in place to help them out.

As for the business side, which is what Russ ran, It's a whole different matter of things when it came to that side of the Buffalo Sabres organization. Nobody from the Hockey Personnel should be in charge of anything on the business side.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Ah no, that is nonsense. It has turned into a sideshow with revolving coaches and GMs, in fighting,, Lafontaine fiasco, contract extensions with firings within a year, we have had more staff turnover than the WH since Pegula has taken over. The fact that you don't see Tim Murray trading away a boat load of draft picks then you blame Galisano just wow.

Golisano ran this organization as cheaply as possible, probably as Rigas, maybe with worse outcomes competitively. Golisano and Quinn's actions led to the DIRECT black eyes that is known as July 1st 2007, that changed this organization's perception after gaining much success post lockout. Any Goodwill that Darcy was capable of providing by building a fun exciting team, that was competitive, was quickly extinguished because of their cost cutting priorities over creating a Profit. I'm not saying he shouldn't run a profitable team, but if you invest money and time into your investment, you should be seeing a profit down the road. But Golisano and Quinn's actions led to direct impact on the product on the ice and led to direct impact on the quality and quantity of information of future Sabres players for their future drafts. We are just getting around to that issue that is our pipeline.

Edit: And Murray probably wouldn't have had to trade our draft assets when he did if we had quality players on the main roster from those cost-cutting scouting services and penny pinching for players, even if he thought of replacing them without question.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

The reason for the teardown was the lack of talent that entered the team from 05-‘12 under BTGs ownership. That is the root of the need, regardless of your denials.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Terry Pegula is president of hockey ops and football ops. He has been for quite some time. Brandon's departure has nothing to do with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad