Russ Brandon resigns as Sabres / Bills President, Kim Pegula assumes role

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Did Russ have a team working under him (sexual relation puns aside)? If so, I suspect the Pegulas may be cleaning house.

Meh, I am okay with Kim staying on in a permanent capacity (it is her team) as long as she surrounds herself with people in the industry who know what they are doing.

Well... he was the president of the Bills/Sabres/PSE so everyone outside of Kim and Terry was under his helm.

Kim has been very involved in running the business side of things. I’d imagine that Russ handled the mundane day to day stuff and Kim was more of a “Chair of the Board” and focused on big projects. I don’t think anything changes given how active she has been.

Btw I have NO problem with Kim or Terry being active owners. They have invested upwards of $2b in WNY and likely saved both franchises from moving. After years and a few mistakes the two of them seem to have found competent people to run the Bills and Sabres.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
PHO should be someone with executive experience, not just someone who's nearby. Adams as a PHO would be nearly as silly as Regier's "exhaustive search" of one candidate that lead to the retention of Rolston.

I agree. I was just thinking, just to create the position in the organization. And go from there. Baby steps :biglaugh:

Reactions: sabrebuild

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Harrington spreading lies that Kim will be in charge of Hockey Operations since she is the President and Brandan Shanahan has the same title so therefore.... Ugh

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
These two posts are incompatible. Regardless of any veracity of any alleged improprieties of misconduct, if Pegulas were allowing a graceful step-down of Brandon, they would have thanked him for his contributions & dedication before/after they purchased the team(s).

I call B.S. on Brandon's version of "contemplating retirement".

Where I work, the most recent example of married (not to each other) co-workers who were having a consensual affair at work resulted in both of them being released the next time there were performance-related cutbacks.

To the bolded: She's the boss. It's a private company. Even if it was consensual, she's under no professional, personal, moral, or pseudo-moral obligation to keep her mouth shut about it.

As for any potential future impact on Brandon's potential future employment, that was Brandon's responsibility, not Pegulas. My employer is not responsible for my potential future employability, whether continuing with my employer or going elsewhere.

Agreed, and if there was any appearance, let alone reality of any quid-pro-quo involved, it's best for the organization to purge / re-assign / re-align the people in order to preserve organizational well-being & integrity.
They can easily get sued for tarnishing his career even if everything they said is true. Even if they praised him. You are entirely responsible if you say anything. That’s why most employers won’t do anything other than confirm employment dates.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Do we know what exactly a 'president' does and what a 'director/president/vice-president of hockey operations' does? the latter began in pro sports as a glorified title for successful GM's, the GM and the hockey/baseball ops guy was the same person. Maybe that has evolved into clear areas of responsibilities. Maybe every team does it differently.

Owners should own, go to owners meetings, where they contribute to running the league, CBA, TV, etc. When it comes to their own teams concern themselves with running the business, not the team other than the hiring and firing of qualified people to run teams.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I honestly do not know what you are saying.
If only I had a dime for every time I heard that. Character flaw.

This is applicable to so many things we've seen around our team. Undoubtedly it will be true in the future, hence the need for future reference.
Instead of following in the well-worn paths of successful organizations, we try things our own way and marvel at the ineffectiveness... only to try something novel and ineffective once again.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
They can easily get sued for tarnishing his career even if everything they said is true. Even if they praised him. You are entirely responsible if you say anything. That’s why most employers won’t do anything other than confirm employment dates.
Right. It's similar to when Lafontaine left. We should be used to this crap by now. They probably have NDA's signed up the wazoo.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If only I had a dime for every time I heard that. Character flaw.

This is applicable to so many things we've seen around our team. Undoubtedly it will be true in the future, hence the need for future reference.
Instead of following in the well-worn paths of successful organizations, we try things our own way and marvel at the ineffectiveness... only to try something novel and ineffective once again.

Not to worry, I can be quite dense.

Agreed. On some level it’s amazing this rebuild looks to be working out after the list of questionable management decisions that have gone throughout. Makes me think the tank was still the right choice.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Will the Bills be moving their training camp to Kim Pegula's alma mater Houghton College this year or will they play out their contract with Russ Brandon's alma mater St John Fisher until 2021? The Pegula's donated $25 million to build an athletic center at Houghton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad