GDT: Rush GDT Squared, New Jersey Yukons @ Arizona Misfit Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I can't even say I'm surprised by this result once they said we had the best road record in the league and Arizona had the worst home record in the league and hadn't won a home game yet in regulation. Add that to former Devil for a hot minute Wedgewood getting the start bound to look like a hall of a famer and I never expected to win this game lol

Hell we even got the first goal scored by strome thrown in there too.

Shit game, oh well, move on and win the next 3.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It is true that the team is now playing more dump and chase slow hockey since adding in Boyle and Zajac. Not sure how that’s not obvious. I also don’t quite understand it from management’s perspective. Why not call up a couple of young guys to see what they can do instead of throwing Hayes in there or rushing Zajac back? Stafford has also done basically nothing for the last dozen games.

It pisses me off that they started out the season flying with young guns, scoring a lot, winning a lot, and now they are slowly reverting back to prodding slugfest .500 hockey.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Color me shocked

You should not have been shocked.

Devils had been playing piss poor the last two games and got puck luck vs Col.

Dumb lineup decisions by Hynes.

Playing back to back vs a well rested Zona team that iced a faster and higher skilled lineup tonight.

Plus it was kind of obvious that Wedge would be sharp and the Devils made it ultra easy on him.

I predicted a 4-0 loss cuz I had zero confidence going into tonight's game.

It was really a pathetic effort and troubling

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Bwahahahha... you just don't quit, do you? Somehow, this was Santini's fault. Brilliant.
Where did you get that’s dumb idea from? Didn’t say anything close to that. But Greene-Severson would obviously be a better pairing. This isn’t even remotely debatable. It literally could not be worse.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Where did you get that’s dumb idea from? Didn’t say anything close to that. But Greene-Severson would obviously be a better pairing. This isn’t even remotely debatable. It literally could not be worse.

Oh yes, Severson-Greene is Obviously better. I mean -2 and -3 - but at least with 3 meaningless shots on net Severson's CF didn't suffer so the narrative may continue. Santini 's low Corsi is cursing us from the press box.

Hilarious.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Oh yes, Severson-Greene is Obviously better. I mean -2 and -3 - but at least with 3 meaningless shots on net Severson's CF didn't suffer so the narrative may continue. Santini 's low Corsi is cursing us from the press box.

Hilarious.
This is genuinely hilarious. “The narrative”. Lol okay my dude. I’m sorry it annoys you that Severson is our best defenseman, but he is and it isn’t close. Santini maybe should be in over Lovejoy. As long as he isn’t with Greene on the top pair. Oof.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Come on man, plus/minus? Really? Really? What kind of a dinosaur do you gotta be to still care about this stat? I feel like the internet shouldn't even exist, if we're arguing about that prehistoric stat.

I suppose Coleman, Noesen, Lovejoy, Butcher and Johansson all earned their minus for that soft goal that Strome scored on Kinkaid, right?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Tonight was all about effort.

Going forward we need to address these bad starts. Can't start behind the eight ball constantly.

Need to fix the pp. Biggest issue isn't Zajac. It is the points with both Sami and Severson. Severson needs to come out and Sami operates the top of the umbrella.

If we cash in on our PPs this game goes differently.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Come on man, plus/minus? Really? Really? What kind of a dinosaur do you gotta be to still care about this stat? I feel like the internet shouldn't even exist, if we're arguing about that prehistoric stat.

I suppose Coleman, Noesen, Lovejoy, Butcher and Johansson all earned their minus for that soft goal that Strome scored on Kinkaid, right?

Severson was still terrible tonight. Even if the stat is garbage.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I got a friend who thinks we should have kept Wedge and traded Kinkaid. I always defend that decision and now something tells me after this 1 game it’s going to be harder. Not for me to defend but that said friend will be more adamant about it.
I'm not second guessing this one. Clemmensen beat us and Marty a bunch of times in the regular season. In fact, I think he was 4-0-0 against us, before we beat him in the playoffs in 2006. And even then, we lost game 3 to him, so he was 5-0-0 against us before we beat him in game 4 and game 6. I think we only ever did have one regular season win over him, and it was the last time we played him, which was the very next season after we beat them in the playoffs.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
This is genuinely hilarious. “The narrative”. Lol okay my dude. I’m sorry it annoys you that Severson is our best defenseman, but he is and it isn’t close. Santini maybe should be in over Lovejoy. As long as he isn’t with Greene on the top pair. Oof.

Yeah, oof. Santini was a scratch tonight, yet somehow he's your topic of conversation. Clearly Severson is not a top pairing defenseman today, and it is possible he'll never be, but I think and hope he'll figure it out someday. He may be our best defenseman at carrying the puck out of our zone or making a good outlet pass but he isn't our best defenseman. Not by a long shot.

Look at Brilliant pinch on goal #4. Good decision - that weak cross check was brilliant. Top pairing stuff man.
2gxmbdg.jpg

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Butcher was a +16 tonight. Give him more minutes please. Vatanen needs to be better. Putting him on the 2nd pairing could help him. Lovejoy was actually fine tonight with Butcher so I'm fine keeping him in for Santini while he's playing okay.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Yeah, oof. Santini was a scratch tonight, yet somehow he's your topic of conversation. Clearly Severson is not a top pairing defenseman today, and it is possible he'll never be, but I think and hope he'll figure it out someday. He may be our best defenseman at carrying the puck out of our zone or making a good outlet pass but he isn't our best defenseman. Not by a long shot.

Look at Brilliant pinch on goal #4. Good decision - that weak cross check was brilliant. Top pairing stuff man.
2gxmbdg.jpg

You're going off one play? Come on, come on you're better than that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If anything though, tonight should really be the death knell of ''We need to give Kinkaid more starts'' or ''I think he'll be a starter one day'' or ''He's played better than Cory this year, Cory's let in more softies!'', even though I know it's mostly just one guy who says these things anymore. Kinkaid has been awful this year. He's your typical career backup in the NHL. One good year, one bad year, one good year, one bad year. Just fluctuates from season to season, and this certainly has started off pretty poorly for him. He hasn't had a good game since his second start of the season? His first couple starts (was REALLY good against the Rangers) and that period of relief against Ottawa, he was fine against the Sharks, that's all I got for him this year. And his garbage time relief period against Winnipeg a few weeks back. There's at least one stoppable goal going in per game on him. He allowed 2 stoppable goals against Ottawa, he allowed 2 stoppable goals against Chicago, he allowed 2 stoppable goals last week against Detroit. He allowed a bad goal against Calgary, then stunk in the shootout. The Strome goal was well past garbage time tonight, but that's a soft goal as well.

He's not the reason for tonight's loss, but he sure as hell ain't the reason for his 5-1-1 record coming into tonight. He's been awful this year, but there's always somebody rationalizing his poor play by saying ''He was screened'' or ''GREAT shot!'' or ''skater A was out of position, while skater B was checking out a hottie in the crowd''. This is exactly why when I get on Cory, I don't rush to say we need to bring him in. And Cory has allowed a decent amount of poor goals this year, yet he's stopped close 2.5% more of the shots he's faced, that's how bad Kinkaid has been this year. I think I need to do a better job of biting my tongue or keeping my fingers in check, whenever Cory allows a stinker, when you think about the .896 goaltender on the team.

Depending how this week goes, I would give it strong consideration to start Cory on Friday and Saturday. I do know this much, I would not be giving him a random mid-week start in a non-back to back, like against the Ducks or Red Wings, or whoever else we play a random non-back to back game against this month. That's for damn sure.

Reactions: Dialamo and Jets012

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Hall was awful tonight. He's had a rough 3 games or so. His lines have been getting dominated. Again, it's likely just a cold stretch, but just shows how important he is.

Zajac has been useless since coming back. Honestly been awful. Again, I really hope he hasn't regressed and it's just taking him a while to come back. His analytics were awful when he wasn't with Hall last year too (great with him) so it is worrying. Might have to put him with Hall from now on.

Vatanen hasn't looked great to be honest in two games. But again, he really isn't a first pairing defenseman. Put him on the 2nd pairing with Butcher or hell even Moore possibly and he'd look better. Please put Severson with Greene. It's our only first pairing defense that doesn't get stuck in the zone.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
You're going off one play? Come on, come on you're better than that.

We were also down 3-0 with 8 minutes left, so obviously the defense is going to be more aggressive. It also didn't help that Greene just kind of stood there with his thumb up his ass neither taking the passer or the shooter. Wood made a nice effort on the backcheck, but couldn't quite get his stick there to deflect the pass.

This entire argument is beyond old at this point though. God forbid we just be happy with two young defensemen. We have to go to war over it and nitpick every f***ing play to prove we're right.

Reactions: Jets012

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You mean since that boat anchor named Zajac has returned, we added another big truck in the middle named Boyle and we're back to being a 'puck control' team instead of a fast attacking team?

Slow and listless.
Now why do I feel like if I would have made this post, you would have told me that he was my new punching bag/whipping boy/whatever? I hate to say it, but I agree on Zajac, especially when I've been one of his biggest defenders on here.

In the past, Zajac hasn't really done much that warranted people to call him out. He's unfairly been the whipping boy around here, and he didn't do much to deserve it, other than being the best center on the team and not really a #1 center, which wasn't his fault. Except maybe in 14-15, when he only scored 25 points or whatever it was. Which was clearly the aberration for him, and not what he really is.

At this point, he's definitely worth complaining about. 9 games, 0 points. Coaches keep playing 19+ minutes a game, loading him up with power play time. I blame the coaches, particularly Hynes and Ward. This is where Ward shows his dominant idiotic side. They've given him every opportunity to produce a point in these 9 games, and he hasn't done so. He's been a real problem so far, that's all I'm saying. Does it mean his career is over and this is the new Zajac? Not nearly a large enough sample size yet, but he's been VERY bad so far. And the really sad part, is that the possession numbers are also not there for him right now. Those have consistently been a positive for him, even in that 25 point season a few years back.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm only like 12 minutes into the 1st period and this is already coming close to matching the Panthers game level of suck. This is tough to watch, I was already warned by both my friend and by the final score and highlights that I watched, to stay away from this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad