GDT: Rush GDT Squared, New Jersey Yukons @ Arizona Misfit Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
No offense DD, but I couldn’t blame anyone for disagreeing with your evaluation on goalies. Your pro-Wedgewood stance may have been enough to scare management away from Wedgewood, if they read these boards. You being a backer of his, might have been a very red flag. Considering you were very adamant that Hammond was a late bloomer and that it wasn’t a fluke run, as well as Being one of the only people in the world that thought that Ray Emery was still a solid goaltender in 13-14.

Where is the Hamburger guy right now, by the way? Out of the league and in the AHL, where he’s spent almost the entirety of over the last 2 years, except when the Sens had an injured goalie.

I know you agree with me on Wedge over Kink. Just admit it. :nod:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
ive had much more of a problem with zajac than i have with boyle. part of it is his role on the 2nd line/1st pp. he's just as good defensively and you know what you're getting there but he's not a fast or creative player and doesn't seem to fit well with the style and his linemates. the 0 points reflects that and it's not just because he's coming back from surgery. i posted before but he could do well with two creative wingers like mojo and bratt if he stays low and helps them cycle but ideally you'd bump him down to 3c. it's hard to break up the coleman line but i'd honestly rather have a 4th line of coleman - boyle - gibbons and make the third line a scoring one

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
We were also down 3-0 with 8 minutes left, so obviously the defense is going to be more aggressive. It also didn't help that Greene just kind of stood there with his thumb up his ass neither taking the passer or the shooter. Wood made a nice effort on the backcheck, but couldn't quite get his stick there to deflect the pass.

This entire argument is beyond old at this point though. God forbid we just be happy with two young defensemen. We have to go to war over it and nitpick every ****ing play to prove we're right.

Greene should absolutely not take either passer or shooter, all he can do is trying to delay the play and try to take away the pass once they get within shooting range. His gap was too big but overall it's unfair to put any of that on Greene. It's a bad decision on a less than 50/50 puck by Severson resulting in a goal against. Yes many don't understand this is a game of mistakes (where decisions are made in less than an instant) and everybody does them, but there is no denying Severson tends to get into stretches when he makes too many. Me personally I have total confidence in how Hynes can handle his development.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
DD plan to stop the bleeding.

Scratch LJ, Hayes and Stafford.

Insert PZ, Santini and recall JQ.
Waive Prout

Keep Trav at 3rd line. No higher.

Do not start Greene ever again.

Give Wood a few more games but if he doesn't score and keeps taking penalties and turnovers send him to Bingo and put Stafford back in.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I know you agree with me on Wedge over Kink. Just admit it. :nod:
I never have. Is he better than him this year? Sure.

But coming into last night, they had an identical save percentage on the season. Kinkaid’s went one way and Wedgewood’s went the other, just after this game.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

Waive Prout

Give Wood a few more games but if he doesn't score and keeps taking penalties and turnovers send him to Bingo and put Stafford back in.
I’m EdisonDevil and I approve this message.

Reactions: mtnet

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Just curious... you use the term over reacting. Do you think it’s fine for a “playoff team” to get manhandled and blown out by the worst team in the nhl? What kind of reactions did you expect? Younand Hynes would probably get a long
Complaining about the performance of the team in a certain game is fine by me, but saying the season is over because of said game just doesn't make sense. Is it acceptable? I'm sure we aren't the only "playoff" team throughout history that has been blown out by a lesser team. It happens.
Also, I think Hynes is awful.

Reactions: Bleedred

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Complaining about the performance of the team in a certain game is fine by me, but saying the season is over because of said game just doesn't make sense. Is it acceptable? I'm sure we aren't the only "playoff" team throughout history that has been blown out by a lesser team. It happens.
I just fear that an embarrassing loss like this throws us into a bad tailspin...especially with two against Columbus coming up and then divisional games. I hope it’s more of a kick in ass though.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
the team has generally responded well and I'm not that concerned about getting blown out by columbus, they should have the motivation as it's easier to get up for a game when you're literally playing for first place compared to a game where you're the "best road team" vs. the "worst home team." that doesn't change the flaws of the team but hopefully they make the lineup adjustments that compliment a renewed focus on hardwork and effort

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I just fear that an embarrassing loss like this throws us into a bad tailspin...especially with two against Columbus coming up and then divisional games. I hope it’s more of a kick in ass though.

The schedule the next 3 weeks is brutal. CBJ, CBJ, NYR, LAK, MTL, DAL, ANA, NYR, CHI. At least 6 of the 9 are at home, although that hasn't been much of an advantage so far this season.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The thing that I’m seeing is lack of a big shot and consistent finishing up front. Hall Nico Bratt MarJo are all creative but seem like pass first players. PZ isn’t ready yet to be a consistent shooter and Palms is hurt. Of course Zajac has not gotten his game together yet and that hurts too. Also from a chemistry standpoint they haven’t found anyone to play with MarJo. Maybe Gibbons has to play some RW2 until they can sort this out. Shame STAFFORD has fallen back so much. He could have been a good fit at RW2.

Reactions: Devilsfan992

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Waive Prout

You've scratched two RWs. Who are you playing on their off-side?
You've scratched a LD and inserted a RD. Who is playing on their off-side?

I'm not really asking for a response. My point is more that there are fundamental flaws on this team (lack of LD, lack of RW depth). Those aren't getting fixed by line-up changes. Meanwhile, this is still a young team and many players are still early in their development.

I think the priority for this year needs to be developing the guys who will help this team compete in the future. Even if that means asking guys like Greene, Stafford, Hayes, or Lovejoy to play over their heads. I'd trade a couple of wins this year if it meant our young kids progressed.

Reactions: Darkauron

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You've scratched two RWs. Who are you playing on their off-side?
You've scratched a LD and inserted a RD. Who is playing on their off-side?

I'm not really asking for a response. My point is more that there are fundamental flaws on this team (lack of LD, lack of RW depth). Those aren't getting fixed by line-up changes. Meanwhile, this is still a young team and many players are still early in their development.

I think the priority for this year needs to be developing the guys who will help this team compete in the future. Even if that means asking guys like Greene, Stafford, Hayes, or Lovejoy to play over their heads. I'd trade a couple of wins this year if it meant our young kids progressed.

.press Boxing PZ and Sant is not good development.

LJ is a RHD BTW.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hall - Nico - Zacha
MoJo - Coleman - Bratt
JQ - Zajac - Gibbons
Wood - Boyle - Noesen

Greene - Severson
Butcher - Vatanen
Moore - Santini

We really need Palmieri back. And the defense will be bad no matter what combos you want to put together, don’t get your panties in a bunch.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I’m EdisonDevil and I approve this message.

It’s not about one game. Most posters know a bit about hockey and the Devils have not looked good lately and I’m including the wins as well as the loses. The team has been playing worse, not better. Now scoring is drying up as well.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Think it would be unwise to throw jq into the fire so soon after his return from injury.

Just reinsert Zacha and actually give him some rope to play through mistakes. Same rope Zajac is getting.

Get Sami to the top of the umbrella so the PP has the best chance to score.

Poor special teams was a big part of last night. Game doesn't get out of hand if we convert on those early PPs

Reactions: Darkauron

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Team just wasn’t ready to play last night. May as well stayed in the locker room in the 1st period.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Team just wasn’t ready to play last night. May as well stayed in the locker room in the 1st period.

And then they outshot Arizona like 15-4 in the 2nd period. If one of those had gone in, we might have come back to at least get a point, but nothing did and then the 3rd goal just killed anything we had going.

Hopefully they learn that you can't always dig yourself out of a hole after a bad start, which we have done a couple of times this year. Especially given that the schedule is only going to get harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->