Speculation: Rumours/Speculation/General Discussion XVI - Be a GM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Mocking of Baertschi aside, that wasn't a public trade request, and yet he was a highly touted first round pick that failed to live up to expectations (due to what some may call "mismanagement") yet he barely garnered a 2nd round pick. No way the Flames get that quality of pick if his trade demand went public.

24 points in 66 games (Sven's NHL production with Calgary) is similar to Drouin's NHL production over 89 games when looked at on a pro-rated basis - Drouin with more assists due to higher scoring teammates - that's not fact based, just my own assumption.

I still say that the Bolts get a 2nd and a long-shot prospect.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Mocking of Baertschi aside, that wasn't a public trade request, and yet he was a highly touted first round pick that failed to live up to expectations (due to what some may call "mismanagement") yet he barely garnered a 2nd round pick. No way the Flames get that quality of pick if his trade demand went public.

24 points in 66 games (Sven's NHL production with Calgary) is similar to Drouin's NHL production over 89 games when looked at on a pro-rated basis - Drouin with more assists due to higher scoring teammates - that's not fact based, just my own assumption.

Depending on which teams are interested I could see a very good team throwing their 1st (read late 1st) at Tampa.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Turris is a better comparison still in my mind.

What you are proposing is hardly better than what Nikita Filatov got.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Drouin's side going public means it's unlikely bridges will be mended. But Yzerman has almost two full calendar years before he absolutely has to make a move.

Don't think this is going to be about piling enough pieces together to reach an arbitrary value but rather Yzerman targeting specific pieces that address needs for the Lightning.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

There's some difference in that Drouin was drafted significantly higher, is almost 2.5 years younger (~2 at time of trade request), and is not waiver eligible.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
There's some difference in that Drouin was drafted significantly higher, is almost 2.5 years younger (~2 at time of trade request), and is not waiver eligible.
Fair enough, although I think there are as many similarities as differences. Long-shot prospect might be a bit off (might need someone more of a sure thing) but I don't know if that meshes with Tampa's immediate needs anyways.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
:skeptic:

Turris got a 2nd and a prospect. Filatov got a 3rd.

You said a 2nd and a longshot prospect.

Turris got Rundblad who was arguably one of the top prospects in the entire NHL at that point after lighting up Europe as a defenseman and being traded for the 15th overall pick right before that (ended up being Tarasenko) and a 2nd. Drastically different from what you are offering.

Essentially Turris got what in modern terms is closer to Marner(highly hyped prospect)+2nd

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
You said a 2nd and a longshot prospect.

Turris got Rundblad who was arguably one of the top prospects in the entire NHL at that point after lighting up Europe as a defenseman and being traded for the 15th overall pick right before that (ended up being Tarasenko) and a 2nd. Drastically different from what you are offering.

Essentially Turris got what in modern terms is closer to Marner(highly hyped prospect)+2nd

I also think that Turris had more value at the time than Drouin does today. I don't know if Marner would be an equivalent, but I get the notion that it's someone more of a 'sure thing' that you're talking about.

And as mentioned above, I'm not entirely sure Tampa's looking for futures right now anyways, they may want to cash in by trading Drouin for playoff help / depth.

I just don't think they'll get what appears to be the consensus "value" for him. If they do, great! As long as we're not the ones paying it.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
If we could get Drouin for Poirier, 1 of Brandon Hickey, Rasmus Anderson, Oliver Kylington (although I hate to give up even one of these guys) 2nd in 2016, 3rd in 2017

I would make that trade.

That means we don't deal any current players off our roster. We keep Jankowski who might be our best forward prospect right now. We keep 2 of our best 3 D prospects, and we move a couple decent picks and a meh lower first rounder (Poirer) for Jo Drouin.

I think it's a fair offer, but I'm sure the Bolts are asking for things like Lazer + 1st, or TT + Shaw + 2nd, or Rantanen + 2nd x 2 + Siemens, etc., and I don't think our offer is in these ball parks.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I also think that Turris had more value at the time than Drouin does today. I don't know if Marner would be an equivalent, but I get the notion that it's someone more of a 'sure thing' that you're talking about.

And as mentioned above, I'm not entirely sure Tampa's looking for futures right now anyways, they may want to cash in by trading Drouin for playoff help / depth.

I just don't think they'll get what appears to be the consensus "value" for him. If they do, great! As long as we're not the ones paying it.

Agreed both in that I think they want to stock up for a deep run, or even use him to dump salary, and that they likely won't get full value.

And yes, Marner was just the current flavor of the month after his performance at the World Juniors.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I think the reason they'd have to include Carle is the ability to sign Stamkos long-term (which they have to do if Drouin leaves) and continue to build around him and the triplet line.

And yeah I think that will shrink the return big time, but if it's the difference between Stamkos leaving or staying it's a no brainer.

I'd offer

Hudler
Russell + Cond. 2017 2nd if he does not re-sign
Klimchuk (offering Wotherspoon then Granlund first)

for

Drouin
Carle

Gives the Bolts legitimate scoring and defensive depth for the playoffs this season as well as a smart 2-way 1st round prospect to add to their future core. Russell if he becomes a good affordable piece for the future either stays on with them or they get a decent draft pick. And most of all frees up room to sign Stammer and still have money left over to fill any other holes.

Drouin comes to us and replaces Hudler as a guy better fit to drive offense behind Gaudreau's line who can grow with the young team.
Hiller & Hudler money all go into long term extensions on Gaudreau and Monahan
With the possibility of a Smid buyout if we need to make room.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
But a big time improvement over Wideman. I wish Wideman was only a tire fire.

If you can rid of Wideman for anything I think they should do it.

I think you're getting carried away to the moon, moon. He's not that bad. Certainly above a tire fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad