Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
At this point in time, our D is pretty much solidified for the top 4.
Brodano
Russel-Wides

It's the bottom pairing that's the real question mark. Schlemko I like as our bottom pairing guy. And that leaves 1 spot for Engellend, Morrison, Diaz(UFA), and UFA's and TSpoon to fight it out. I would like TSpoon and Morrison to get 1 year in the AHL playing top minutes. Schlemko - Engellend/Diaz would be my guess. No thanks to any high priced D-men, just not any room other than the bottom pairing, UNLESS you trade Wides to make room.

I know this is meant to be the Armchair GM thread but some proposals on here...kinda one sided IMO for us. No way on God's green earth would the Canes ever trade away the 5th overall pick, let alone to dump a contract. There was rumors floating around that the Leafs want to trade Kessel AND the 24th pick for that pick. Think in that ballpark for a serious offer. Semin, while he had a horrid year, has a good chance he'll rebound. This isn't like a Horton situation in CBJ where they were literally paying the guy to sit at home while injured. The entire Canes team was just decimated by injuries early on in the season and just couldn't gain the ground back. It happens.

IF I was to offer anything for the 5th overall pick, it'd be Russell, 15th ovr, 1 of our 2nd rounders and a B+ prospect, and that might not even get it done. And that's not a knock on our players, just how deep the draft is this year.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
I'm not sold on Reilly. I'm not sure if another small offensive D man is what we need. I'm thinking a guy like Byfuglien, if we could acquire him, fits the bill.

Gio-Brodie
Buff-Russell
Wideman-Schlemko/TSpoon/?
is a solid group.
Then if/when the likes of Morrison, etc proves worthy of the 5 spot, trade Wides to a contender.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
I don't know much about Reilly. Is he NHL ready? A year or two off? A "Janko" type project?

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
I have a feeling we're going to trade for Mike Richards by the draft. 1TG proposed something like this before:

To CGY:
Mike Richards
2015 1st (13th overall)
2015 4th? can't remember. or maybe even Kempe/Forbort.

To LA:
Mason Raymond
+ a late pick 2015 or 2016 maybe?

13th and 15th overall would be real nice to have especially in a deep draft like this. Plus all our 2nd and 3rd round picks... Maybe you could package some 2nds/3rds to move up to the first and now you have 3 first round picks. I think Richards would do well away from Sutter and playing under Hartley.

Then sign Williams/Beleskey/Frolik, Sekera, and maybe McQuaid in FA.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bennett - Backlund - Beleskey/Williams/Frolik
Bouma - Richards - Colborne
Ferland - Stajan - D. Jones

x Shore, Granlund, Jooris, Bollig

Giordano - Brodie
Sekera - Wideman
Russell - McQuaid

xEngelland, Wotherspoon

Ramo
Hiller
Ortio

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I have a feeling we're going to trade for Mike Richards by the draft. 1TG proposed something like this before:

To CGY:
Mike Richards
2015 1st (13th overall)

To LA:
Mason Raymond

13th and 15th overall would be real nice to have especially in a deep draft like this. Plus all our 2nd and 3rd round picks... Maybe you could package some 2nds/3rds to move up to the first and now you have 3 first round picks. I think Richards would do well away from Sutter and playing under Hartley.

Ferland - Stajan - Shore

xGranlund, Jooris, Bollig

Giordano - Brodie
Sekera - Wideman
Russell - McQuaid

xEngelland, Wotherspoon

Ramo
Hiller
Ortio

That would hurt a lot cap-wise, but it would probably be worth it. Worst case scenario, Flames could buy Richards out.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

To CGY:
Mike Richards
2015 1st (13th overall)

To LA:
Mason Raymond

Ferland - Stajan - Shore

xGranlund, Jooris, Bollig

Giordano - Brodie
Sekera - Wideman
Russell - McQuaid

xEngelland, Wotherspoon

Ramo
Hiller
Ortio
it was a 4th and I had just Raymond going to them.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I really can't see Lombardi doing that, but if he does look to make a deal like that I'd imagine he'd rather not do it in division, and TOR would likely be more than happy to steal the Flames thunder on a deal like that.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I really can't see Lombardi doing that, but if he does look to make a deal like that I'd imagine he'd rather not do it in division, and TOR would likely be more than happy to steal the Flames thunder on a deal like that.

I highly disagree, they could definitely use that cap towards a Sekera re-signing. And if Richards goes back to normal Mike Richards, that could possibly even make Backlund expendable (unlikely that happens though). Pretty sure we would just see Bennett as the 2nd line LW with Monahan-Backlund-Richards-Stajan as centers.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Let's just put it this way:
The Kings are in trouble in terms of contracts, especially since next season is when Kopitar comes off the books and could be a UFA, he's going to get paid. Sekera is gonna get around 5.5-6M from some team too.

Mike Richards contract is really looking like an albatross now, and surprisingly, he's not even 30 yet. Suffice to say, the Kings are kicking themselves since they didn't buy out Richards(hindsight I know).

I'd rather trade for Semin and a draft pick at this point because he's got a lot better a chance at rebounding than Richards does IMO, even if all you get out of Semin is a 30-30 year that's not that bad.

Some other rich team, Toronto, will probably be all over something like that, whether it be Richards or Semin for a high pick/prospect, IMO.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I like the idea of picking up a bad contract for a 1st. realistically the LA richards deal makes some sense.

However I still don't see these cap strapped teams dealing firsts to rid themselves of bad contracts. I'm still of the opinion to try and sign a couple of vets to short term deals and keep our picks to stock the pool even more. I trust our scouts to find a couple of gems.

Vermette and Beauchemin would still be my main targets...Although Vermette may be pumping his value in these finals. But if not I think you can get both on 2-3 year deals at resonable cap hits, which won't hurt us in the near future.

Bennett - Backlund - Colborne
Bouma - Vermette - Ferland
Bollig - Stajan - Jooris

xGranlund,

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Wideman
Beauchemin - Engelland

We still need to get bigger in the top six. But you almost have to draft those guys these days, they are too valuable to acquire via trade.

EDIT: I also think Ferland is the type of player who could become a top 6er one day. He has the skill, we saw flashes of it in the POs. We need a greater window of games to see him in, but I was very impressed by his solid hands and IQ at times. Lots of people are saying he's a meathead, but I think he can bring more.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2014
I wouldn't go after Beauch or Vermette if they're gonna play as our #5 D-man and #3 Center respectively. throwing too much money away for moderate upgrades.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
How about a veteran like Lubomir Visnovsky as a #5? I think he'd play pretty good with Engelland. Plus, if Wotherspoon took his spot, he can be the 7th guy.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't go after Beauch or Vermette if they're gonna play as our #5 D-man and #3 Center respectively. throwing too much money away for moderate upgrades.

who cares? if the term is short then the money doesn't matter. Beauch is a huge upgrade to our defense. I've slotted him at 5, but he's still a top 4 dman easily. Vermette would finally give us a legit FO guy and he's a bigger body up the middle. The added depth allows us to keep our prospects cooking and short term contracts won't hurt us when we really need the cap space (assuming you can get both on short term deals).

Both upgrade our team, a team that is still growing with youth and already made the semi's this year.

I'm all for more significant upgrade, I just don't think we have the pieces, or can afford to give up the pices needed to facilitate that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad