Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Why not ignore the Semin part of the trade, if we're talking 2nd round picks?

To Car: Hiller @ 50% retained (maybe plus a 3rd or 4th round pick?)
To Cgy: Ward + 35th overall

Although Semin is an interesting option, he's not particularly young and his contract is likely to look really bad by year 3, if not earlier. I'd rather suffer through two years of useless Raymond at 3 mil than risk screwing the Flames when they have to re-sign all their young players with a potential 7 million dollar boat anchor.

Aug 21, 2014
But Semin could bounce back to being a 30-30 player. Which would make the trade a huge win.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Semin
Bennett-Backlund-Hudler

Gaudreau setting up 2 solid goal scorers. While Hudler being on the 2nd line spreading the wealth..

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Wouldn't mind the Flames trading for Semin, under the the right circumstances of course. He has the potential to be a higher end Hudler. Best case scenario, the Flames would have two (semi) legit top six lines, with Bennett still being sheltered a bit.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Semin
Ferland/XXX-Bennett-Hudler

And if the Flames did end up regressing next season, it'd give them more leeway to trade Hudler at the deadline (ideally for a 2016 first).

Simplified base:
Raymond+Stajan/Jones for Semin+35th overall

We can go bigger:
Raymond+Stajan/Jones+3rd+Agostino for Semin+35th overall+McKeown

Why not ignore the Semin part of the trade, if we're talking 2nd round picks?

To Car: Hiller @ 50% retained (maybe plus a 3rd or 4th round pick?)
To Cgy: Ward + 35th overall

I would do this as well. Maybe instead of a pick, Flames add Reinhart or Hanowski if the Hurricanes want a player coming back.

Having a higher 2nd round pick might make trading up from 15th overall slightly easier too.

Aug 21, 2014
Calculon, their is no incentive for Carolina to do that. Raymond (3.15m),Stajan (3.125m) or Jones (4.00m) they actually gain cap with one of those trades. :laugh:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
But Semin could bounce back to being a 30-30 player. Which would make the trade a huge win.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Semin
Bennett-Backlund-Hudler

Gaudreau setting up 2 solid goal scorers. While Hudler being on the 2nd line spreading the wealth..

It's that COULD that really worries me. Semin is signed for a while yet. He just isn't worth the risk.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Also, I see no incentive for Carolina to do that. Semins value is at an alltime low, but we all know damn well, he's better than how he played this year. They aren't going to give up the 5th overall pick just to dump Semin.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
For fun, made a humongous trade for no reason:

:canes
Semin
35th OA
Ward
LA/CAR 2016 1st (whichever one has higher value goes to Carolina)

:flames
Raymond
83rd OA
Hiller
CGY 2nd 2016

No retention on either side.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Also, I see no incentive for Carolina to do that

Not from the perspective of our market, but they're a totally different market. If they're losing big time money, they might not be able to afford their lack of production. It's not just about cap but actual dollars saved for their ownership.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Calculon, their is no incentive for Carolina to do that. Raymond (3.15m),Stajan (3.125m) or Jones (4.00m) they actually gain cap with one of those trades. :laugh:

Short term, yes. But if the problem is a penny conscious ownership, then it saves them a ton long term.

21M (Semin) over the next three years versus 10.3M (Raymond+Jones) over the next two years or 15.675M (Raymond+Stajan) over the next three years.

Okay, they wouldn't want Stajan so it'd have to be Raymond+Jones. It'd save them over 10M in real money.

Probably still optimistic on my part though.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Wouldn't mind the Flames trading for Semin, under the the right circumstances of course. He has the potential to be a higher end Hudler. Best case scenario, the Flames would have two (semi) legit top six lines, with Bennett still being sheltered a bit.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Semin
Ferland/XXX-Bennett-Hudler

And if the Flames did end up regressing next season, it'd give them more leeway to trade Hudler at the deadline (ideally for a 2016 first).

Simplified base:
Raymond+Stajan/Jones for Semin+35th overall

We can go bigger:
Raymond+Stajan/Jones+3rd+Agostino for Semin+35th overall+McKeown

I would do this as well. Maybe instead of a pick, Flames add Reinhart or Hanowski if the Hurricanes want a player coming back.

Having a higher 2nd round pick might make trading up from 15th overall slightly easier too.

Real dollars could be a potential reason for them to do that. These money trades aren't just about CAP hits.

Semin = $21,000,000 total
Raymond + Stajan = $15,175,000 ($5,825,000 savings for CAR)
Raymond + Jones = $10,300,000 ($10,700,000 savings for CAR)

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Despite being a LHD I'd like to target Jared Cowen. Ottawa may look to buy him out or move him cause of the dollars. Still only 24. Could potentially do great under Hartley. If its cheaper I'd give him a shot

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I would like the Flames to look at Troy Brouwer. I think Caps would trade him in a salary dump for a player like Byron or shore.

He would be a 6-9 goal upgrade on Jones plus meaner, can fight and throws a ton of hits. His skating is better than I thought watching him last few years.

gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-backlund-Brouwer

An okay upgrade in the top 6 from earlier in the year with Bennett hopefully coming to camp around 10 lbs heavier

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would like the Flames to look at Troy Brouwer. I think Caps would trade him in a salary dump for a player like Byron or shore.

He would be a 6-9 goal upgrade on Jones plus meaner, can fight and throws a ton of hits. His skating is better than I thought watching him last few years.

gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-backlund-Brouwer

An okay upgrade in the top 6 from earlier in the year with Bennett hopefully coming to camp around 10 lbs heavier
Brouwer is not an upgrade on Jones.

Sure he is a slightly better goal scorer, but Jones is a slightly better playmaker. Brouwer is a bit more physical but Jones is a much better skater. I also find Jones to be better defensively.

Is it worth sacrificing the skating of Jones for a bit more physicality in Brouwer? To me it's not, especially with how our team plays.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Yeah, the thought of a swap involving Semin really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Not sure if you're making a nasty joke or not? lol

Either way, i'd take Semin's contract if we could land the 5th overall pick. It would be massive for our rebuild! Playoffs, win a round, experience + top 5 pick?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad