Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
lol @ anyone that wouldn't take on Semin for one of: Marner, Strome, or Provorov :laugh:
Why even bring up that possibility when it's literally not even a possibility. Do you honestly think Ron Francis is going to trade the 5th overall pick to dump salary? They aren't being run by that idiot Rutherford anymore.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is misleading. You aren't just receiving another prospect in this deal. You are upgrading the one we'd be getting anyway.
it's also misleading because that's like laughing at a guy who says they wouldn't take Taylor Swift on a date, when he's only saying no because he knows there is literally no chance of that ever happening.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
TIL Trading up to #5 is like taking Taylor Swift on a date... :smh:

Semin could absolutely rebound in our system, and we pick up a top 5 pick in the process?

If he fails, well buy him out. Flames aren't a hurting team by any means.

But I guess we could just throw some **** against the wall at 15, and see what sticks.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Semin could absolutely rebound in our system, and we pick up a top 5 pick in the process?

But I guess we could just throw some **** against the wall at 15, and see what sticks.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that Carolina in all likelihood wouldn't make that deal.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Do you honestly think spending $21 million that could be spent to actually improve our team is a good idea?

Well first of all, swapping Cam Ward for Hiller is a wash at worst. At best it gets you a goaltender who's led teams to conference finals and even won a Conn Smythe. It's only a year either way, which is the buffer period Ortio will need to settle into whatever role he earns for himself.

So it really comes down to Raymond + 15th VS Semin + 5th.

Mitch Marner or Ivan Provorov are players who will probably perform right at the start of their contracts for what you're essentially paying Semin.

It'd require a little bit of playing with flexibility or buyouts in the 16-17 season only because of Engelland/Smid/Bollig/Semin all being under contract, but the players we're talking about are the kind of impact players Gaudreau, Brodie, and Monahan have been for us.

Sure, you're getting a pretty good player @ 15 who might make the NHL, might even be a middle 6er or a top 4D. But you'd getting a dynamite-impact player in the top 7 of the draft (i.e. the list I posted earlier in this thread) that when combined with other prospects propels us to contender status within a year. And then you can consider that while Semin is coming off a bad year, he's still one of the better snipers in the whole league, and a big righty-handed RW who's always been a quality possession forward. If Hartley could revive the careers of guys like Marc Savard, he's probably your best bet for reviving Semin.

The thing to really note is that the Hurricanes, for whatever reason, are just an team that really struggles to score - think Kings East. The Flames are the opposite, we get grade A chances out the wazoo especially when Johnny's on the ice. If anyone could turn Semin back into a 30+ goal scorer, it's Gaudreau.

On its own, bad contract for sketchy player.
With top 7 pick (Top 5 in the case of the Hurricanes), just average it out with the expected production of the pick and the production of Semin and split it down the middle.

Guys like Marner and Provorov might have gone first overall in other drafts (these are Patrick Kane or Duncan Kieth type talents).

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2014
You seem to be ignoring the fact that Carolina in all likelihood wouldn't make that deal.

And I'm banking on the fact, that Carolina's gonna want to cut salary real quick. And with league wide capcrunch. They'll have to give heavy incentives for teams to take their cap problems.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
And I'm banking on the fact, that Carolina's gonna want to cut salary real quick. And with league wide capcrunch. They'll have to give heavy incentives for teams to take their cap problems.

Yes but for a team in desperate need of rebuilding how often do you see a team in that situation give up a top five pick in an incredibly deep draft?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

[mod]

And yeah, it's an armchair GM thread, doesn't make it less delusional.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Also, the Flames ownership has been cheap in the past. I doubt they'd support bringing in an albatross contract like Semins.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
We don't want as poisonous attitude and work ethic like Semin's in the locker room

The main goal of any such trade is to move up to 5th overall. So what if you take Semin, and if he's a problem then flip him elsewhere with 50% retained for a 3rd rounder (or even 2nd) to a team like New Jersey?

You're allowed to retain salary on three contracts to a max of 15% of the cap (10.65m)

50% Semin @ 3.5m
50% Hiller @ 2.25m

That is 5.75m AAV retained which is well clear of the max. Hiller comes off the books anyways.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
And that 3.5 could be a very effective player or space for a contract renewal. With Monahan, Bennett and Gaudreau needing deals through that time, no thanks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I wouldn't be so concerned about the Ward for Hiller swap, it's a tad too much of a parallel move for either team to be worth the hassle even... Hell, apparently Lack's available for a second round pick, the Canes would be better off sending a second rounder there, keeping Ward and Lack as a 1-2, then moving forward with Lack.

I honestly would have some interest in a Semin and first round pick swap.

5th Overall + Semin
for
15th Overall + Raymond or Smid

I don't think I'd think twice about it. I know we tend not to think about it, because it's not our money, and Raleigh is a long way from Calgary... But this Hurricanes team has always been so strapped for cash and looking to save where ever it can. Semin was a complete anchor this past year, he scored at about the worst pace imaginable, and has a ton of money left on his contract.

Calgary could make out in two ways here.

Firstly, Calgary would move up to 5. What does that mean? It means Calgary will probably have a shot at Hanifin or Marner. While the prospects available at 15 will be good, these are on a whole different level... And it would really help us moving forward against the guys up North who will have possibly one of the world's greatest players along with another three first overall picks.

Secondly, Calgary would get Semin. Yes, his contract is an absolute boat anchor. He's being paid to more or less be a ppg player in this league. He is tied for being the 19th highest paid player in the NHL. However, if he even gets to a similar pace that he's shown he can put up throughout his career, you're talking about a big scoring RW. Worst case scenario, he's a complete dud, we buy him out, bury him in the AHL or he goes back to Russia and we void the contract.

I kind of see this is a win-win for us. If Calgary has proven anything, it's that we have the ability to turn careers around (except Seto I guess) and that our coach doesn't believe in taking a minute off. You can bet if Semin takes some time off here, Bob will let him know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad