Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not sure why a few of us think that Backlund is expendable. By who exactly, Bennett :laugh:? He's only played 11 playoff games, and though he looked decent, he still hasn't played an 82 game season.

Backlund will be our 2C next year until Bennett pushes him off. However, I think that Bennett - Backlund - Colborne line will be our 2nd line again, it did well in the playoffs.
Obviously I think he is expendable, I already traded him to II for Staal :yo:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You got the wrong Staal though. :popcorn:

Trading Backlund for J. Staal I didn't agree with, but at least it makes sense system wise. I don't see how moving Backlund for a pick makes sense before Bennett has established himself at C. He may very well end up a winger.

Well, I wouldn't mind trading Backlund for Staal if management was able to not trade a 1st in the process. If you can get J. Staal without trading a 1st, you win the deal hands down.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The stats, and the eyeball test would disagree with your assessment, also no it isn't how it's worked all season long. At all. No one has said Backlund is a premier shut down 'defender'. But he is our best shut-down C, your plan is pretty much 'just use Stajan and forget about having any experience at C!'. Which is why I am happy a real GM runs this club and not armchair ones :laugh:

You do realize that Monahan only has 14 less NHL experience than Backlund had when he came in. With centre's pushing for spots and the lack of a blue chip defensive prospect in the system, it's a deal that makes sense for the Flames.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
You do realize that Monahan only has 14 less NHL experience than Backlund had when he came in. With centre's pushing for spots and the lack of a blue chip defensive prospect in the system, it's a deal that makes sense for the Flames.

The centres pushing for spots consist entirely of Markus Granlund, and he's nowhere near as good as Backlund right now. Arnold only has one year of pro experience, Reinhart didn't do anything to indicate that he's ready for the NHL last year, and Shore wasn't particularly impressive in his callup.

The Flames' centre depth next season should consist of Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, and Stajan, and that will be a perfect scenario to provide Bennett a smooth transition to the NHL.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The centres pushing for spots consist entirely of Markus Granlund, and he's nowhere near as good as Backlund right now. Arnold only has one year of pro experience, Reinhart didn't do anything to indicate that he's ready for the NHL last year, and Shore wasn't particularly impressive in his callup.

The Flames' centre depth next season should consist of Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, and Stajan, and that will be a perfect scenario to provide Bennett a smooth transition to the NHL.

So much this.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I would take Semin's contract if they gave us their 2nd round pick and LA/CAR's 2016 1st (whichever one has higher value stays with Carolina).

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If the Flames are acquiring Semin, in addition to getting back at least a 2016 first and a 2015 second, Raymond has to be going back the other way.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Sorry, but I'm not ready to swallow Semin's contract unless we're talking their 2015 first and either their or LA's 2016 first. We just can't afford an extra 7m over 3 years unless we sign pretty much everybody to bargain contracts and let Hudler / Jones walk.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Calgary trades:
15th overall
52nd overall

to Buffalo for:
21st overall
31st overall

As far as anyone can tell, there is a huge toss-up in terms of player talent past about #12, so the Flames could move down while still getting two-first round talents. (obviously Buffalo would have to like someone at 15th to do this, but I think value is pretty good.)

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Calgary trades:
15th overall
52nd overall

to Buffalo for:
21st overall
31st overall

As far as anyone can tell, there is a huge toss-up in terms of player talent past about #12, so the Flames could move down while still getting two-first round talents. (obviously Buffalo would have to like someone at 15th to do this, but I think value is pretty good.)

I'd do it, Calgary wins that trade.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Calgary trades:
15th overall
52nd overall

to Buffalo for:
21st overall
31st overall

I don't want this, but I can see it happening :laugh:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If we could get him at 5M for 3 years I think that's a pretty reasonable deal. The guy is 33 so a 3 year deal is pretty fair. I also really like him as a player and think he would fit the Flames system really well.

I suppose a 3 year deal is doable. Going after Sharp should be ideal too then. Adding those two would make our team significantly better.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I suppose a 3 year deal is doable. Going after Sharp should be ideal too then. Adding those two would make our team significantly better.

Originally I thought the Flames should avoid Williams as I figured he would be looking for a 5+ year deal for sure. If we can get him at a decent cap hit for 3 years he would be a great add IMO.

Same thing can be said for Sharp but I imagine he will be looking for a long term deal as well, so I would probably avoid him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Calgary trades:
15th overall
52nd overall

to Buffalo for:
21st overall
31st overall

I know it's a different scenario, but that reminds me way too much of the 2012 Buf/Cgy draft trade. Maybe if there are still enough guys on the board that the Flames are guaranteed a faller (like Maatta, and they actually take the faller this time), but otherwise I don't like it.

Aug 21, 2014
Calgary trades:
15th overall
52nd overall

to Buffalo for:
21st overall
31st overall

I wouldn't do it. Unless Kylington and Meloche are available at 21st and 31st respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad