Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Theodore's a left hand shot; my interest diminishes.

Would prefer trying to see if Mark Pysyk is available. Shoots right, top four potential and will be subject to waivers starting next season (if I'm not mistaken).

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
To be honest, I think Jooris makes a PDG stop gap 3C myself. Monahan struggled v/s the Ducks too, comes with under 22 and up against one of the most stacked teams in the NHL. Bennett thives up against the wall, he was arguable one of the best players on the ice during a few playoff games. Sure it's a harsh learning curve but I believe he can handle it, he's already faced the toughest completion you get. I don't even think the Ducks would do it but Backs is on a plane if they agree with in 20 min., no second thoughts. I mean we're talking about a kid that strolled into the AHL and put up 11 points in 9 games. He has game changer potential.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Theodore's a left hand shot; my interest diminishes.

Would prefer trying to see if Mark Pysyk is available. Shoots right, top four potential and will be subject to waivers starting next season (if I'm not mistaken).

And we already have a bigger Pysyk in Morrison, they really aren't even on the same level. Russell/ Morrison sounds like a damn fine bottom pairing to me.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I mean we're talking about a kid that strolled into the AHL and put up 11 points in 9 games. He has game changer potential.

I wouldn't hype up those 9 games too much. Very small sample size. With that being said, I think Theodore will be a decent 2nd pairing dman. I wouldn't mind acquiring him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I know you love Backs but if you have an opportunity to trade a gifted young, two way 3C and 15th overall for a 20 year old defender, with 1st pairing potential you make that move every time. Guys step up or can be replaced but top pairing potential is had to come by.

Its nothing to do with liking Backlund. Who in our system takes those minutes?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I wouldn't hype up those 9 games too much. Very small sample size. With that being said, I think Theodore will be a decent 2nd pairing dman. I wouldn't mind acquiring him.

Curious to know why you think think his ceiling is a 2nd pairing d-man? I mean over a PPG since his draft, good size, good speed, great break out/scoring skill, WJC and his time in the AHL all point toward top pairing.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Its nothing to do with liking Backlund. Who in our system takes those minutes?

That the end of the day it's by committee. When the team buy's into playing two way hockey, a defensive center that isn't spectacular at draws isn't nearly as valuable as some might think. Pretty sure Stajan could step into 3C and play tough minutes if required

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
That's not how it works.

That's how it worked all season long, long story short, Backlund simply isn't capable of shutting down big power forwards or the upper tier offensive forwards. There, I said it, he's a step above Stajan but not a premier shut down defender. Not many are, he does his job but at the end of the day, the big dogs aren't phased by him.

Last edited:

FlamesFreak4

Oct 10, 2012
Calgary
What do you guys think about going for Eddie Lack?
Word is Vancouver wants to make room for Markstrom.

something like the Canucks 2nd + Reinhart?

Edit: this would be if we decided to trade Hiller or let Ramo walk..

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
:laugh: The Canucks' goalie circus is hilarious. And I know that Markstrom is probably going to be waiver-eligible and this is probably the right move, but it's still funny, damn it.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
What do you guys think about going for Eddie Lack?
Word is Vancouver wants to make room for Markstrom.

something like the Canucks 2nd + Reinhart?

Edit: this would be if we decided to trade Hiller or let Ramo walk..

The Canucks would get a lot more than a second for Luck (and a fading prospect).

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's funny that the Canucks have had the least amount of problems with goaltending than any other team in the league, yet they always find a way to go and pick with the lesser goalie. I will not be surprised if Markstrom and Lack are traded and they feel Miller is the guy that should be staying :laugh:.

I thought Benning was a good hire, but honestly, he's been making some head scratching moves as of late.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
That's how it worked all season long, long story short, Backlund simply isn't capable of shutting down big power forwards or the upper tier offensive forwards. There, I said it, he's a step above Stajan but not a premier shut down defender. Not many are, he does his job but at the end of the day, the big dogs aren't phased by him.

The stats, and the eyeball test would disagree with your assessment, also no it isn't how it's worked all season long. At all. No one has said Backlund is a premier shut down 'defender'. But he is our best shut-down C, your plan is pretty much 'just use Stajan and forget about having any experience at C!'. Which is why I am happy a real GM runs this club and not armchair ones :laugh:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The stats, and the eyeball test would disagree with your assessment, also no it isn't how it's worked all season long. At all. No one has said Backlund is a premier shut down 'defender'. But he is our best shut-down C, your plan is pretty much 'just use Stajan and forget about having any experience at C!'. Which is why I am happy a real GM runs this club and not armchair ones :laugh:

I'm not sure why a few of us think that Backlund is expendable. By who exactly, Bennett :laugh:? He's only played 11 playoff games, and though he looked decent, he still hasn't played an 82 game season.

Backlund will be our 2C next year until Bennett pushes him off. However, I think that Bennett - Backlund - Colborne line will be our 2nd line again, it did well in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille