Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
True, but I mean more the way Vegas treated him before shipping him to Toronto. And I still think he's the best/easiest option for the Oilers.

I think he's the best, I'm not sure about easiest. Toronto knows that they lucked out in getting Pickard for nothing.

Like other posters are suggesting, why would Toronto do this unless they get a player to help them now, a good prospect or a decent draft pick?

McElhinney isn't exactly a top notch goaltender and he's pretty old. I think the Leafs are going to let Pickard and Sparks battle for next year's backup. I could see them looking to unload McElhinney for peanuts now, but he has another year left on his contract.

Ochocinco is probably the easiest to get, but not necessarily the best.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What would we give up to get them?

That would be great, what do you think the cost is? Slepyshev, Brossoit and pick?

My idea is Slepyshev, Lowe, a 3rd and 5th. Lowe is a simple balance of contracts though--they're light on LD in Rochester. We could just as easily replace him with Broissoit should Buffalo wish to keep Ullmark in the AHL.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My idea is Slepyshev, Lowe a 3rd and 5th. Lowe is a simple balance of contracts though--they're light on LD in Rochester. We could just as easily replace him with Broissoit should Buffalo wish to keep Ullmark in the AHL.
Maybe try to ship them Gryba instead?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I like the Girgensons/Johnson idea. Slepyshev shows potential but it's not like he's an integral piece here.

The biggest question I have is what are the Oilers planning to do with Maroon? Keep him for the year and let him walk, or trade him for another piece before the deadline. I think we have a replacement in Khaira who could step up in the lineup and bring a lot of what Maroon does for a lot less cap going forward, but I think I'd still keep Patty for another playoff run. I guess it depends on where we are at the deadline.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really don't know if we'd even move Gryba. Really seems to be a guy that we'd keep as a #8. Brings a very physical element and is well liked. Rather have him as the #8 than someone that really doesn't do anything special.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I'm completely against gifting any more young players roles that have not earned. Until Khaira has scored 15+ goals I'm not shipping Maroon out.

Did some of you think Drake could replace Ebs production? If so, give yourself a smack on the head.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like the Girgensons/Johnson idea. Slepyshev shows potential but it's not like he's an integral piece here.

The biggest question I have is what are the Oilers planning to do with Maroon? Keep him for the year and let him walk, or trade him for another piece before the deadline. I think we have a replacement in Khaira who could step up in the lineup and bring a lot of what Maroon does for a lot less cap going forward, but I think I'd still keep Patty for another playoff run. I guess it depends on where we are at the deadline.
I don't know that they know what they are doing with Maroon. If the team continues to be a non-playoff team he's probably dealt. I'd still look at the long-term contract with lower cap hit with Maroon. He's proven to be effective with a couple centers now. We've seen how hard it is to find guys to play with McDavid who is the best in the game. Might have to really think what is going to happen if we move another winger without a proven plan B.

I'd all back away from thinking Khaira is going to play the role Maroon is. The guy has less than 40 games under his belt and his showing a lot of injury issues.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Gryba is someone who does nothing special. Not gonna be fooled by his 1 good game every 20 plus games. I'd rather auvitu as an 8th at east he presses the play in the offensive zone. Other the nurse this year auvitu is the only d man that actually follows his dump in to try to gain a cycle.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
So since Maroon is a topic...
I remember back around the start of the season there was talk of Chia negotiating an extension with him. Obviously nothing came of that, but was anything ever said afterwards? My take at the time was that it got back burnered after his slow start.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
So since Maroon is a topic...
I remember back around the start of the season there was talk of Chia negotiating an extension with him. Obviously nothing came of that, but was anything ever said afterwards? My take at the time was that it got back burnered after his slow start.

I'd speculate that Chia wanted to sign him to an extension in September but the ask was too high. I think he's now prepared to let him test the market and see for himself that other teams aren't willing to pony up the kind of cash he's looking for either and then circle back to the Oilers. However, I could see him traded if the Oilers are 6-10 points out of the playoffs at the deadline.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I imagine with Maroon, it will depend where the Oilers are at the trade deadline. If they are close to a playoff spot, they will probably keep him. If they arent close then he might get traded. With Lucic and Kassian, I think Maroon is not really needed. (I personally would rather have Maroon than Lucic especially a lower cap hit). Too much redundancy though, I think they need more speed on the wings. I also dont think Maroon should be kept instead of RNH.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'd speculate that Chia wanted to sign him to an extension in September but the ask was too high. I think he's now prepared to let him test the market and see for himself that other teams aren't willing to pony up the kind of cash he's looking for either and then circle back to the Oilers. However, I could see him traded if the Oilers are 6-10 points out of the playoffs at the deadline.

Dumping him for assets at the deadline then come back to him July 1st would seem to be the smart move.

Reactions: McDaddy

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
I like Slepy. Hope they don't trade him. Letting a low cost winger go with potential, one that we've drafted and developed doesn't make a lot of sense to me, which of course is exactly why I fear the rumors might be true... hope not.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't really get the fascination with Girgensons. He's basically a below average 4th liner who you would have to overpay for because "he's young and has potential".

Throw them a 4th or 5th for Johnson. No need to complicate it with other pieces.

Reactions: VainGretzky

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't really get Slepy being on the block. I by no means think we should keep him at all costs, but what does a guy like that even return anyway? Especially considering he had a slow start due to an injury.

Is the return really going to help us out?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't really get the fascination with Girgensons. He's basically a below average 4th liner who you would have to overpay for because "he's young and has potential".

Throw them a 4th or 5th for Johnson. No need to complicate it with other pieces.
Maroon was an overpaid fourth liner. He was also a one-dimensional winger.

Girgensons is a big body, physical with good draft pedigree. He also has the ability to play multiple positions and penalty kill. Anton Slepyshev is...well...nothing right now except a player who isn't paying immediate dividends and not playing center or penalty killing. Girgensons could potentially be another Maroon-type pickup. Give him Slepyshev's minutes and see if they pay off.

The 3rd for Johnson. Slepy and the 5th for Girgensons. And the throw in to balance the contracts. No complications. Easy peasy.

Last edited:

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
I imagine with Maroon, it will depend where the Oilers are at the trade deadline. If they are close to a playoff spot, they will probably keep him. If they arent close then he might get traded. With Lucic and Kassian, I think Maroon is not really needed. (I personally would rather have Maroon than Lucic especially a lower cap hit). Too much redundancy though, I think they need more speed on the wings. I also dont think Maroon should be kept instead of RNH.

I doubt that’s an either or.

RNH has the largest cap hit of anyone not in the McDavid cluster, and he doesn’t have a NMC. He probably has the highest trade value of anyone not in the McDavid cluster.

Maroon has been a good Oiler but we can’t afford to give him a raise.

With the limited cap room, the bridge deals needed for the young RFAs we want to keep - or higher in Nurse’s case, the obvious need for a quality NHL shooter on McDavid’s line and Chia’s quoted desire for a top pairing D, I wouldn’t be surprised if both are gone by July 1.

And if we fall out of the playoff, there’s a very real chance both are dealt at the deadline.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Keep on circling back to James Neal. Sign and trade for him please.

Cammaleri + Slepyshev + 2nd for Neal (5 years at 5 million) possibly one million retained if he asks for 6 million

Maroon - McDavid - Pulju
Caggiula - RNH - Neal
Lucic - Draisaitl - Strome
Khaira - Letestu - Kassian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad