Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't get why you and others care so much about contracts. It really means nothing.

?????

If you hit the cap, you can't do any moves without moving anyone, likely at a big discount because teams don't do anyone any favours. The contract thing gets overplayed sure but it definitely means SOMETHING.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
?????

If you hit the cap, you can't do any moves without moving anyone, likely at a big discount because teams don't do anyone any favours. The contract thing gets overplayed sure but it definitely means SOMETHING.
And that isn't exactly hard to do. For some reason fans think it's hard.

Not that long ago the Leafs acquired Grabner. Remember what they gave up? 5 contracts.

Reactions: AVE MAN

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I cant be the only one that thought Ellis looked better in preseason, he has a much more calming presence about him that doesn't make me think every shot is going in, I feel like LB was kept up over Ellis cause of the one-way contract LB has.

One-way contract isn’t really the issue, it’s the waiver exempt status.

I’m guessing the Oilers didn’t want Ellis sitting on the bench all season. I think it’s the right call, let Ellis develop in the AHL for a season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Brossoit has an 87.2 % save percentage so far which simply isn't good enough at the NHL level (or anywhere else really).

Anything below 90% is questionable and he's 3% below that level this season.

I don't think it's going to do him any harm to take the backseat and let Ellis get some games in while he works out what his issues are with the goalie coach. When Talbot comes back I would keep Ellis up and send Brossoit to Bakersfield and play him every game down there to try and get his mojo back.
The issue is, this next stretch of games can completely destroy our season. This isn't the time to be giving a young goalie with 45 pro hockey games under his belt his first taste of the NHL. If we had a bunch of wins and were in a good position than sure. But we aren't.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
The issue is, this next stretch of games can completely destroy our season. This isn't the time to be giving a young goalie with 45 pro hockey games under his belt his first taste of the NHL. If we had a bunch of wins and were in a good position than sure. But we aren't.
Hard to be worse, right now, than LB.

Two big things stand out, to me, about LB and I'm not sure why..maybe it's confidence..don't know.

First big one is positioning. He seems to not have a good sense for where he is in relation to the net. That's why pucks 'squeak by him at the post. He's almost always too far in his net, leaving the opposition too much to shoot at. This is also part of his positioning.

Other thing is on his knees too much (although Talbot has this issue, somewhat, as well). High shots beat him and it's hard to be great laterally when in that position.
Perhaps that's confidence as well. I don 't know what he's been told or how he practices.

He seems to be quick, with a decent glove hand.
I don't like his rebound control but that's actually fixed pretty easily (Talbot had the same issue for awhile).

Anyway..back to rumours

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Hard to be worse, right now, than LB.

Two big things stand out, to me, about LB and I'm not sure why..maybe it's confidence..don't know.

First big one is positioning. He seems to not have a good sense for where he is in relation to the net. That's why pucks 'squeak by him at the post. He's almost always too far in his net, leaving the opposition too much to shoot at. This is also part of his positioning.

Other thing is on his knees too much (although Talbot has this issue, somewhat, as well). High shots beat him and it's hard to be great laterally when in that position.
Perhaps that's confidence as well. I don 't know what he's been told or how he practices.

He seems to be quick, with a decent glove hand.
I don't like his rebound control but that's actually fixed pretty easily (Talbot had the same issue for awhile).

Anyway..back to rumours
I have faith in Ellis but we need to go find an experienced backup to take over for a few weeks. Brossoit is not that guy and giving Ellis a chance is very risky.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I have faith in Ellis but we need to go find an experienced backup to take over for a few weeks. Brossoit is not that guy and giving Ellis a chance is very risky.
Oh, I agree. This stretch while waiting for Talbot is very important.

I think LB's issues could be ironed out by coaching..in the AHL

Reactions: AVE MAN

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
And that isn't exactly hard to do. For some reason fans think it's hard.

Not that long ago the Leafs acquired Grabner. Remember what they gave up? 5 contracts.

Please list the other trades like that? It is hard to find a dance partner to get out these jams. Also the two guys we claimed one guy will be sent to the farm shortly and unless Larsson is out for a long time come Jan Davidson is a healthy scratch. Spare contract spots come in handy come trade deadline time

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No he wasn't, of course. I would also hope we'd aim a little higher. Sekera is sorely missed.
It's hard to aim higher when you want to trust your team internally (Also, no one expected Klefbom to be this bad to start the year, he's coming around though) and if you do that then you're left in a tough spot, roster wise, when he comes back.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Realistically any trades that would help this team need to come from the Eastern conference. No team in the west wants to give us a lifeline unless they are robbing us blind.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Realistically any trades that would help this team need to come from the Eastern conference. No team in the west wants to give us a lifeline unless they are robbing us blind.

In my experience, teams in the Eastern conference don't really want to give us any lifelines either.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
My guess is the Oilers would rather take Lehner - and Buffalo would probably like to move his contract. I'm sure the money is the big issue with moving Lehner. There is still more than 2.5M on his cap hit this season. If the Sabers could eat a good portion of it and take back a contract from the Oilers (lets say a Patrick Russell or other marginal AHLer - maybe throw in Brossoit or Pasquale), I'm sure the Oilers would gladly give up a 4th round pick in the deal. Lehner is a proven NHL goalie. He's not a starter but is a fine backup option.

If the Sabers would eat 1M (about 40%) of Lehner's remaining salary...pull the trigger Chia. I'm personally not as sold on Chad Johnson and would rather have Lehner for the same money if possible.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
These two waste of waiver claims takes us to 49 contracts. We can have a max of 50 contracts.
Have to disagree about wasted waiver claims. Walker is an upgrade on Pak man. Davidson is needed given the injury situation on D and the club's familiarity with the player means he can easily transition into the line-up. He's better than Auvitu and Gryba as well. Both moves made the team (very marginally) better.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
?????

I think the number of contracts is such an overblown discussion point. Sure it's nice to have some flexibility, but if there's a deal to be made I'm sure that the other team having to take back a guy like Platzer or Betker just to even out the contracts wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Please list the other trades like that? It is hard to find a dance partner to get out these jams. Also the two guys we claimed one guy will be sent to the farm shortly and unless Larsson is out for a long time come Jan Davidson is a healthy scratch. Spare contract spots come in handy come trade deadline time
It is incredibly easy to balance contracts in trades at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad