Speculation: Rumours and trade proposals

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
This Karlsson thing has to have legs to it. It makes no sense to start rumors that we're involved since we don't seem like a great fit and aren't a big market (so they aren't doing it for the clicks). Have to think the deal starts with Ellis, if we think he'll be too pricey to re-sign. I highly doubt it happens but...it's Poile, who knows

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Burrows on waivers...(along with about a dozen other players)... I hope to goodness Poile doesn't think we need his "grit" for the playoffs, since he reportedly didn't think McLeod would be claimed ..

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I’m really big on team chemistry. They are playing so well right now, I’m fine with these depth moves. Fish should be a great add to the 4th line. And that’s free.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
While we don't need Karlsson, could you imagine a top 4 of Josi/Karlsson and Subban/Ekholm?

My guess is Ottawa would want a cost controlled Ellis, Tolvanen, 2018 1st and 2019 1st. Now while that seems like an overpayment is it? Karlsson is an elite defenseman, no other way to put it. He is an upgrade on Ellis. Heck, he's probably an upgrade on Josi and Subban as well. Giving up Tolvanen and the two firsts would sting but once again, we're giving up one NHL player in this deal. Tolvanen, for as good as he looks, could be a flop. We have no idea what we have in the kid. I'd love to be optimistic and think he'll turn in to an elite sniper. Heck, even a solid top 6 forward would be great but no one knows what he'll look like on the smaller NA ice. The two 1st's will be late in the first so more than likely, not game changers.

So for possibly the best defenseman in the world, we'd be giving up a very good if not great first pairing guy in Ellis and three pieces that we have no idea how they'll turn out. Does it possibly gut our future? Sure. Does it give us the weapons to compete for the next bunch of years. Sure does. Thing is, while Karlsson has said he's going to get paid, would he take a little less to stay on a team like this and have a shot at a bunch of Cups? That is the question Poile has to ask and if he feels like he'd re-sign in Nashville, he has to think about this.

Down side to this is messing with the chemistry of the team. That is why Poile is a GM and I'm sitting here typing this. Could put us over the top or it could F ever thing up.

Reactions: Gh24

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
A big thing that might actually make a Karlsson trade make sense is the expansion draft. We're going to have to protect 7 forwards and 3 defenseman or lose someone really good up front. Ellis's contract runs out a season before the expansion draft and he'll be wanting a raise. If we think we won't be able to resign him, then trading him and other pieces for an upgrade for the same duration makes some sense, especially if we keep Fabbro and hope he's ready to jump in the season before the expansion draft.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Ellis is the last of our top 4 I'd want to give up (or lose in FA). We need to sign him-- would love 6 x 6. Worry about expansion later. After Vegas being as good as they are, I expect looser regulations on protected lists if Seattle actually does happen.

Karlsson sounds appealing, but I think it's messing with too much. If we mess with anything, it should be offense from forwards and 3rd pair dman.

Last edited:
Reactions: FierceFalcon

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Yeah, I think Seattle is getting the same rules as Vegas.

That means we really have to do 7/3 protection, something like this:

Forsberg, Johansen, Arvidsson, Fiala, Turris, Tolvanen, 7th forward

Josi, Subban, Ekholm

If we wanted to protect 4/4 again we'd lose somebody really important.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Seattle gets the same rules as Vegas I believe.
Is this confirmed? I mean it's not even a certainty that Seattle is getting a team.

We have plenty of time to mold our roster for some potential expansion draft. I would make worry moves right now about it.

Ellis' game will age the best of our top 4. By far the best overall hockey sense of them.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
No one is going to pay the same 500 million that Vegas paid and then accept worse expansion rules. Whichever team is next, and I'm sure it will be Seattle, they will have the same opportunities as Vegas.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
No one is going to pay the same 500 million that Vegas paid and then accept worse expansion rules. Whichever team is next, and I'm sure it will be Seattle, they will have the same opportunities as Vegas.
I assume the BOG have to vote on that, unless I missed it and they already voted on it.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I assume the BOG have to vote on that, unless I missed it and they already voted on it.

I said I'm personally sure it will be Seattle. I didn't say it was guaranteed to be Seattle. If you'd like to place a bet against it, however, I'd be happy to have you contribute to the old retirement fund.

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
I said I'm personally sure it will be Seattle. I didn't say it was guaranteed to be Seattle. If you'd like to place a bet against it, however, I'd be happy to have you contribute to the old retirement fund.
I'm talking about BOG voting on expansion draft rules.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
These expansion rules were too far. Case in point, Vegas. Case in point two, Vegas's draft picks the next 5 years.

I guess the Preds nearly losing their team and all the other franchise's that struggled and Atlanta actually moving played a role in making sure expansion teams were better. Still....

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If Vegas ends up with EK it’s going to be extremely annoying. Gifted a nice franchise team by the league. Gifted the future assets needed to make a deal like that.

I wonder if the league will stand by their ‘same rules for Seattle’ deal if Vegas wins the cup.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I wouldn't mind adding Oduya to the bottom pairing. Upgrade with playoff experience and wouldn't cost a thing. Though, I assume he'll be gone before we have a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad