Rumor: Rumours and Proposals V: Russell In, Yak Out, Is Chia Done For Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yak only played what? 3 games in the pre season? And your assessment seems extremely biased. JP has turned the puck over multiple times this preseason, if that was Yak we would crucify him (rightfully so). It's not just a speed thing, it's the fact that he needs to condition himself to the NA game. Hence why he should be sent down. And I'm not trying to make yak look good, but if you think JP has played better than him then I don't know if I agree with that.

JP needs time in the AHL, Yak needs to go to another team.

All I know is id trust JP playing 2RW way more than Id trust Yak. As for sample size- you gotta make a call sometime. You cant just say- "oh its only 3 preseason games...oh its only 20 games into year..oh its only 50 games." When you see a player with zero hockey IQ you have to cut them lose. Hes not going to find it.

You can fix skating/weight/shot etc- you cant improve hockey IQ

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I won't ignore the assists but goals are what the Oilers need. If Yak is scoring 2 goals every 10 games on our top line is that really good enough when lesser players can eclipse that?

He's a freaking first overall pick that scored less goals than Lauri Korpikoski and somehow this is acceptable.

If Yakupov can score 2 goals and get 8 assists in those 10 games and Eberle can score 8 and get 2 assists in those 10 games on the second line with Nuge then it's fantastic.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I won't ignore the assists but goals are what the Oilers need. If Yak is scoring 2 goals every 10 games on our top line is that really good enough when lesser players can eclipse that?

He's a freaking first overall pick that scored the same amount of goals as Lauri Korpikoski and somehow this is acceptable.

You are forgetting that Yak is still young and full of potential.:sarcasm:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
JP has not impressed me at all. Just my opinion.

Not even LA Kings game where he dominated numerous board battles and cycled the puck like a 10 year pro? I can agree hes been meh for some other games (as should be expected from rookies). But that game was a great performance

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
All I know is id trust JP playing 2RW way more than Id trust Yak. As for sample size- you gotta make a call sometime. You cant just say- "oh its only 3 preseason games...oh its only 20 games into year..oh its only 50 games." When you see a player with zero hockey IQ you have to cut them lose. Hes not going to find it.

You can fix skating/weight/shot etc- you cant improve hockey IQ

So gun to your head you would trust JP right now as 2RW instead of Yak?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Not even LA Kings game where he dominated numerous board battles and cycled the puck like a 10 year pro? I can agree hes been meh for some other games (as should be expected from rookies). But that game was a great performance

That's a far more optimistic view of how he performed in that game then I would give him. Like I said, just a difference in how we view his play this preseason so far. Truthfully I hope he blows the doors off the last couple games and forces his way on the roster.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If Yakupov can score 2 goals and get 8 assists in those 10 games and Eberle can score 8 and get 2 assists in those 10 games on the second line with Nuge then it's fantastic.

And if Yak doesn't produce at all (which his NHL career shows he hasn't on a consistent basis) then what?

What are his strengths? What does Yakupov do so well that he should be on the top line?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

If there is a decent deal here, I hope it doesn't fall apart because the Oilers are balking at how much to retain. Yakupov's contract is up at the end of the season anyway. I'm a fan of Nail but it's time for both sides to move on.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
And if Yak doesn't produce at all (which his NHL career shows he hasn't on a consistent basis) then what?

What are his strengths? What does Yakupov do so well that he should be on the top line?

If ANY player doesn't produce at all then they lose value. Strange question.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So gun to your head you would trust JP right now as 2RW instead of Yak?

Oh in a hearbeat and not even questionable. Id put Pitlick in 2RW over Yak too given preseason play as well. Add in Versteeg

I was bigger supporter of keeping Yak and not dealing him away from scraps in the offseason (search my name in Yak thread if you want to see). And my argument was play him with good players and see what you have. But that has happened, and what we have is a broken, unfixable player.

If we could get Pokka or TVR for Yak I would drive Yak to the airport and carry his bags for him. That is a massive upgrade (well TVR is, Pokka could be)

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If ANY player doesn't produce at all then they lose value. Strange question.

That's not true. You don't have to produce and can still be useful in other ways, especially on the other side of the puck.

I've asked this question numerous times and nobody can provide an answer. What does Yakupov bring to the table?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
That's not true. You don't have to produce and can still be useful in other ways, especially on the other side of the puck.

I've asked this question numerous times and nobody can provide an answer. What does Yakupov bring to the table?

Physical play, an improving defensive game, and a passion for the game that few others seem to have.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If the Hawks want too much money retained then the Oilers are actually hurting themselves giving Yakupov away. That seems silly. Might as well just loan him to the KHL or waive him in that case.

Oilers cant really retain more than 1.25M on Yakupov so they are arguing in thousands not millions. That tweet seems like a covering your ass tweet because a deal probably was never close and this guy jumped on the bandwagon assuming its going down and tried to gain fame.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
If there is a decent deal here, I hope it doesn't fall apart over how much the Oilers are retaining. Yakupov's contract is up at the end of the season.

Remember that the Blackhawks are operating with an overage penalty this season and had to trade Teravainen to Carolina just to shed Bickell's salary. They are a team that will be counting every dollar this season trying to maximize their chances of winning another Cup before their window closes.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
lmao. Mcdavid or any captain in NHL would be raked over the coals if they ever did this. If I was a GM and some player came to my office to say this Id tell him to shut his mouth and let me deal with player personnel

Messier did it

twice.

thats just off the top of my head too. im sure i can come up with a list

Its not "any" player...its your captain and yes it means alot. Yeah GMS like to not make Crosby, Ovechkin, Tavares, Chara, Getzlaf EXTREMELY HAPPY.

GMS kiss their feet and will do their bidding.

Even Stevie when it comes to things outside of CAP (which is a reality of business) has the coaches cater and adjust their own philosophies to include the requests of Stamkos.
Coaches will also be fired instantly if the C quits on them.

Your point is wrong and asinine. Players rule. Toews rules. Crosby rules. Ovechkin rules. all these men can ruin their coach and GM instantly. the GMs provide for them.
If McD goes to Chia and says...get this done now its a distraction. its over in 24 hours.

Chia had it done to him in Boston as well, so it's not unheard of

For me the Yak rumour is more about getting Versteeg on the team then anything

RW who can play almost anywhere in the line up

That's likely. With a healthy lineup, Yak is sitting in the press box. He needs a fresh start to try and get back to the player he was in his rookie year

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Oilers cant really retain more than 1.25M on Yakupov so they are arguing in thousands not millions. That tweet seems like covering his becaus a deal was never close and this guy jumped on the bandwagon assuming its going down and tried to gain fame.

Well, in a situation where the team needs to re-up some key players they may need every bit of that cap space. Just might not make sense to move Yak AND retain, just to get back a couple garbage pieces.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Okay. I mean that's not entirely unique but at least it's an answer. He's still a goal scorer who doesn't score at the end of it all though.

So what? I don't get why that matters. If he can be an assist maker who hits then there's nothing wrong with that, particularly if it means the second line can be even stronger because of it. It's like you've labelled him with someone he has to be and if he doesn't fit that to a tee then he is of no value to you. I find that strange. Players can adapt and change,

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oilers cant really retain more than 1.25M on Yakupov so they are arguing in thousands not millions. That tweet seems like a covering your ass tweet because a deal probably was never close and this guy jumped on the bandwagon assuming its going down and tried to gain fame.

Jackel pretends to know everythig about the hawks. I remember when I use to go there and he was talking about Gagner to the Hawks. I posted something about how he was out of touch with what we needed and the players he was naming made no sense. He went on to dm me and tell me there were 5 or 6 scenarios with Gagner and CHI, and that there was zero chance Gagner to CHI wouldn't happen. Week or so later we acquired Purcell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad