Rumor: Rumours and Proposals V: Russell In, Yak Out, Is Chia Done For Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Today TVR suits this team better since he is the better of the 2 at the moment. Pokka still a gamble but has upside to fit this team better in the future but he still has work to be consistent at this level.

Either would solve an issue. TVR would be a great Fayne replacement and a good #5 calming presence on the right side. Would be a great partner for Nurse. He is a safe bet but lower upside

Pokka is your high risk guy. Could be an offensive wizard and your PP QB. But he could also end up as next Hunt. Or could be Vatananen

Honestly either one for Yak would be a win. Id take TVR due to his ability to help now. But Pokka could do wonders to

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He couldn't score with the best prospect on the planet. Pretty safe to say that he's not going to get much better on other teams with lesser players than McDavid.

Yeah, that line only produced like the best line in the NHL while it was together. What a horrible fit...lol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Apparently Yakimov has been thrown on the wing in the KHL also, keep your eye on that scenario.

Dont see him ever coming back. There were a few articles about him that weren't really favourable. Think Lowetide even wrote one about how its a NHL career ending move

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Puljujarvi has not shown he is better than Yakupov (right now) in the preseason. Kassian is a total waste of a roster spot and a penalty machine liability. It's actually pretty sad how pathetic the right side is on the Oilers.

He absolutely has 100%. Even JP transitioning to NA ice and an 18 year old rookie is better than 4 year vet fighting for his career Yak. Thats sad. Kassian has also looked better.

This preseason Yak has ranked 5th for RW, thats pretty sad given it includes 2 rookies, a vet on PTO and Kassian

Id say the right side is solid this year for Oilers and average league wide (much better if LD is played RW). In a year with an experienced JP it could be a super super strong RW

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Either would solve an issue. TVR would be a great Fayne replacement and a good #5 calming presence on the right side. Would be a great partner for Nurse. He is a safe bet but lower upside

Pokka is your high risk guy. Could be an offensive wizard and your PP QB. But he could also end up as next Hunt. Or could be Vatananen

Honestly either one for Yak would be a win. Id take TVR due to his ability to help now. But Pokka could do wonders to

I was high on Pokka for a while following the Hawks. I am with you though, we've gambled enough where the safe pick is worth it when it comes to defence.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I feel Puljujarvi should be in the AHL to start... but its true that it's tough to see Yak better than the Oilers other top 9 wingers...

The only benefit to having him would be for when injuries hit (like is already happening).. but even then the Oilers have some reasonably good depth on the wings and I don't think Yak and his agent want him sitting in the pressbox for half the season... nor will he likely play well coming in with rustiness from sitting out until injuries hit.

He really can't do the 4th line role well... so it's top 9 or bust... which is why we are at this point of having him dealt for a small return or hitting waivers as a worst case scenario (which could yet happen).

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Seems like everything is set in stone to you regarding Yak's game. Any other unknowns will do fine in the top 6 just as long as it's not Yak.

And you seem to be so convinced there's more to Yakupov than what we've witnessed in his 5 seasons. This isn't a guy who's having a down year. He has yet to have an up year after his rookie season.

That's ********. A change in scenery could do loads for a player. Especially a player as young as Yak.

Yeah just like Gagner and Cogliano and MPS and Schremp and Omark and...

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He absolutely has 100%. Even JP transitioning to NA ice and an 18 year old rookie is better than 4 year vet fighting for his career Yak. Thats sad. Kassian has also looked better.

This preseason Yak has ranked 5th for RW, thats pretty sad given it includes 2 rookies, a vet on PTO and Kassian

Id say the right side is solid this year for Oilers and average league wide (much better if LD is played RW). In a year with an experienced JP it could be a super super strong RW

Can't agree with your assessment at all and personally feel it's utterly unfair towards Yakupov's play this preseason. I guess we'll leave it at that.

I'd have to compare rosters but I suspect the Oilers RW is bottom 5 in the league. Could be wrong on that I suppose.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I was high on Pokka for a while following the Hawks. I am with you though, we've gambled enough where the safe pick is worth it when it comes to defence.

We also got a couple good bets in junior right now with Jones and Bear. I want the guy who will help right now. His puck moving is still good, its not like hes Gryba or anything

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, that line only produced like the best line in the NHL while it was together. What a horrible fit...lol

Riiight. 2 goals in 10 games. McDavid doesn't need Yakupov's help to produce. He could do that on his own. It's Yakupov who needs McDavid and even then he still couldn't put up that many goals.

Best line in the NHL? I wasn't aware Kane and Panarin played for this team.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Only guy I think that left and really did anything more than he did here would be Dubnyk.

Who else am I missing?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Can't agree with your assessment at all and personally feel it's utterly unfair towards Yakupov's play this preseason. I guess we'll leave it at that.

I'd have to compare rosters but I suspect the Oilers RW is bottom 5 in the league. Could be wrong on that I suppose.

Yak had one good game last game. I will fully admit that. But even at that he was only good because he was showing good hustle and causing some sort of rucus. He was also able to handle the puck somewhat without making the wrong play

We hold Yak to such a low standard that basically if he doesnt trip and fall and slice one of our guys hes had a good game. JP had a weaker game last game and still was better. Atleast with JP you can tell he knows what to do, just adapting to speed. With Yak he has no clue and only noticeable when one of his crazy plays turns out successful

As for RW. Oilers have a top 20 RW in Eberle. Even having 1 top 20 RW puts you in good shape league wide. Kassian is a suitable 4th liner who can handle 3rd line. JP will be a good 2nd liner by game 20. And will develop into a beast. If LD plays RW we could have Eberle-Drasaitl-Puljujarvi-Kassian. Thats a pretty solid RW core

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Messier did it

twice.

thats just off the top of my head too. im sure i can come up with a list

Its not "any" player...its your captain and yes it means alot. Yeah GMS like to not make Crosby, Ovechkin, Tavares, Chara, Getzlaf EXTREMELY HAPPY.

GMS kiss their feet and will do their bidding.

Even Stevie when it comes to things outside of CAP (which is a reality of business) has the coaches cater and adjust their own philosophies to include the requests of Stamkos.
Coaches will also be fired instantly if the C quits on them.

Your point is wrong and asinine. Players rule. Toews rules. Crosby rules. Ovechkin rules. all these men can ruin their coach and GM instantly. the GMs provide for them.
If McD goes to Chia and says...get this done now its a distraction. its over in 24 hours.

Who were the players? Jimmy Carson? Klima?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Riiight. 2 goals in 10 games. McDavid doesn't need Yakupov's help to produce. He could do that on his own. It's Yakupov who needs McDavid and even then he still couldn't put up that many goals.

Best line in the NHL? I wasn't aware Kane and Panarin played for this team.

It's disingenuous to only use goals and not assists.

While they were together they were producing at a higher pace than Kane and Panarin I believe. If not then I guess we could settle for second best line in the NHL.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yak had one good game last game. I will fully admit that. But even at that he was only good because he was showing good hustle and causing some sort of rucus. He was also able to handle the puck somewhat without making the wrong play

We hold Yak to such a low standard that basically if he doesnt trip and fall and slice one of our guys hes had a good game.

JP had a weaker game last game and still was better. Atleast with JP you can tell he knows what to do, just adapting to speed. With Yak he has no clue and only noticeable when one of his crazy plays turns out successful

Like I said, your assessment of these players does not match my own at all. We diverge from there.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Like I said, your assessment of these players does not match my own at all. We diverge from there.

Do you think he had good games before last one? I am one of Yaks biggest supporters and I have fought for the kid in numerous Yak threads on HFOil. But even I was completely turned off by Yak this preseason. Had a great chance but its still lost wondering the desert out there. Its an IQ thing and thatll never be solved

I guess agree to disagree

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's disingenuous to only use goals and not assists.

While they were together they were producing at a higher pace than Kane and Panarin I believe. If not then I guess we could settle for second best line in the NHL.

Assists are nice but that's not what Yak was drafted to do. He was drafted to score 35+ goals a year, not 8. Or 16 as the pace would've been.

Again, Yak needs McDavid a hell of a lot more than the reverse. The Oilers put Maroon on McDavid's other wing and he scored 0.5 GPG.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Do you think he had good games before last one? I am one of Yaks biggest supporters and I have fought for the kid in numerous Yak threads on HFOil. But even I was completely turned off by Yak this preseason. Had a great chance but its still lost wondering the desert out there. Its an IQ thing and thatll never be solved

I guess agree to disagree

I think his game before last was not strong, but then his last game was quite good. Based only on his preseason body of work he is miles ahead of Puljujarvi, who has shown me nothing but that he needs at least a full season in the AHL.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
I can't believe all this garbage trade talk is happening on Nail's birthday. It all seems pretty scummy.

Sorry Nail, happy birthday. Wish you all the best this year.
:hbday:

:shakehead

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Assists are nice but that's not what Yak was drafted to do. He was drafted to score 35+ goals a year, not 8. Or 16 as the pace would've been.

Again, Yak needs McDavid a hell of a lot more than the reverse. The Oilers put Maroon on McDavid's other wing and he scored 0.5 GPG.

Right, So ignore the assists then. Fine, you're allowed to do that if you choose. I won't.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada

We hold Yak to such a low standard that basically if he doesnt trip and fall and slice one of our guys hes had a good game.

JP had a weaker game last game and still was better. Atleast with JP you can tell he knows what to do, just adapting to speed. With Yak he has no clue and only noticeable when one of his crazy plays turns out successful

Yak only played what? 3 games in the pre season? And your assessment seems extremely biased. JP has turned the puck over multiple times this preseason, if that was Yak we would crucify him (rightfully so). It's not just a speed thing, it's the fact that he needs to condition himself to the NA game. Hence why he should be sent down. And I'm not trying to make yak look good, but if you think JP has played better than him then I don't know if I agree with that.

JP needs time in the AHL, Yak needs to go to another team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think his game before last was not strong, but then his last game was quite good. Based only on his preseason body of work he is miles ahead of Puljujarvi, who has shown me nothing but that he needs at least a full season in the AHL.

JP will start 10 games in the AHL if any at all. His only issue is adapting to speed and size of rink. Even just watching JP turning it over you can tell he has an immensly better grasp on the game that a 4 year pro does when hes been relatively safe with the puck. Thats scary for a #1 overall pick

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
JP will start 10 games in the AHL if any at all. His only issue is adapting to speed and size of rink. Even just watching JP turning it over you can tell he has an immensly better grasp on the game that a 4 year pro does when hes been relatively safe with the puck. Thats scary for a #1 overall pick

JP has not impressed me at all. Just my opinion.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Right, So ignore the assists then. Fine, you're allowed to do that if you choose. I won't.

I won't ignore the assists but goals are what the Oilers need. If Yak is scoring 2 goals every 10 games on our top line is that really good enough when lesser players can eclipse that?

He's a freaking first overall pick that scored the same amount of goals as Lauri Korpikoski and somehow this is acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad