Rumor: Rumours and Proposals V: Russell In, Yak Out, Is Chia Done For Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
And my point is the Hawks won't be as patient with him as the Oilers have been. They're not going to wait for 4 years to hope he finally breaks through, which he hasn't even with the best prospect in a decade. The Hawks can (and probably will) only play him half the season in limited roles because they have many players who are much better than him.

Yak has shown very, very little since his rookie season and it will take more than just going to a better team to get him going.

You don't know that. The Hawks could very well play Yak with Toews and Panarin. If he does well, what's stopping them from playing that line all year? This is the Hawks buying low. Low risk high reward.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
It just speaks to the mind set of these people, and the guy who had the asset tweet. They just rail on **** like this while ignoring the good moves Chiarelli has made, and the fact that he built a Cup winner for Christ's sake. There's nothing wrong with fair criticism, but it's always a predictable, one-sided, **** show. It's annoying.

the hate accross the league is very strong to the oilers. i just ignore it. if you dont it gets too disruptive.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
the hate accross the league is very strong to the oilers. i just ignore it. if you dont it gets too disruptive.

I generally do. I stopped posting on the mains a while ago, and I don't read it very often. I have the last couple of days, and I regret it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yep. I think Chiarelli has done a pretty good job of transforming this team. Is the job done? No. But he's done a fine job so far of trying to pull this giant turd out of the toilet so far.

Compare our roster before Chia was hired to our current roster. I'm pleased with the direction he's taking us in, we have direction and a vision towards an identity at the type of team we want to be. He's trying to build a winner.

Our roster is filling out and we have more depth than we've had in years. Before we would go into seasons with 5-7+ major question marks in terms of personnel. Right now we really only have one major need to fill (another RHD who can be a QB on the PP).

It's a night and day difference. But it all means nothing if we don't see results, I have faith and believe we'll see a better hockey team this year.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
McNeil has game to at center.

Want to take another swing at that or?

Would like either Pokka or TVR. TVR is NHL ready, but upside is maaaybe top 4. Pokka upside a bit higher, but maybe not quite NHL ready. From what I gather... anyone feel free to correct me

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You don't know that. The Hawks could very well play Yak with Toews and Panarin. If he does well, what's stopping them from playing that line all year? This is the Hawks buying low. Low risk high reward.

But Yak is a high maintenance player who would be seeing stiff competition on those lines, something he hasn't been able to handle. There are better players in the Hawks system than Yak. If they buy on him they'll likely shelter him quite a bit.

It's been 5 years and we've seen likely the best the kid has to offer. He's played with good and bad players and still can't score for beans. McDavid is likely better than any Hawks player and even he couldn't make Yakupov score more goals.

The Hawks aren't stupid. They aren't going to put an unknown in their top 6 in the toughest division in hockey.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
But Yak is a high maintenance player who would be seeing stiff competition on those lines, something he hasn't been able to handle. There are better players in the Hawks system than Yak. If they buy on him they'll likely shelter him quite a bit.

It's been 5 years and we've seen likely the best the kid has to offer. He's played with good and bad players and still can't score for beans. McDavid is likely better than any Hawks player and even he couldn't make Yakupov score more goals.

The Hawks aren't stupid. They aren't going to put an unknown in their top 6 in the toughest division in hockey.

Didn't stop them from putting Panarin in the top 6. Say what you want about Yak. If the Hawks are interested, they obviously see something in him that we don't.

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
Yep. I think Chiarelli has done a pretty good job of transforming this team. Is the job done? No. But he's done a fine job so far of trying to pull this giant turd out of the toilet.

I think it'll be telling for the organization as a whole how Yakupov performs after leaving the oilers. Almost an experiment of sorts, considering he hasn't played well for a MacT designed team and now a chia designed team. If he plays well somewhere else we have pretty damning evidence that something is still very rotten in Denmark.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Didn't stop them from putting Panarin in the top 6. Say what you want about Yak. If the Hawks are interested, they obviously see something in him that we don't.

They also saw something in Andrew Ladd.. and Rob Scuderi..

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

And to their credit, he worked. If he didn't he wouldn't have been there. He's also a fresh rookie that the league knew nothing about. Also that Pat Kane guy is a pretty special player.

Yakupov's game has been figured out. He's been in this league 5 years without an ounce of improvement.

What they might see is a cap dump with a player they can ditch next year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think it'll be telling for the organization as a whole how Yakupov performs after leaving the oilers. Almost an experiment of sorts, considering he hasn't played well for a MacT designed team and now a chia designed team. If he plays well somewhere else we have pretty damning evidence that something is still very rotten in Denmark.

He couldn't score with the best prospect on the planet. Pretty safe to say that he's not going to get much better on other teams with lesser players than McDavid.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Honestly for our wings. We are a set

Eberle- clear above
Puljuarvi-better now and the gap will be miles soon
Kassian-Better depth option. Smarter player and a way more physical presence

Yak aint cracking that top 3. Then add in chance Drasaitl plays top 6 RW. Oh and Versteeg outplaying him...oh and Pitlick as well. Hes far down the depth chart

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Want to take another swing at that or?

Would like either Pokka or TVR. TVR is NHL ready, but upside is maaaybe top 4. Pokka upside a bit higher, but maybe not quite NHL ready. From what I gather... anyone feel free to correct me

Today TVR suits this team better since he is the better of the 2 at the moment. Pokka still a gamble but has upside to fit this team better in the future but he still has work to be consistent at this level.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
And to their credit, he worked. If he didn't he wouldn't have been there. He's also a fresh rookie that the league knew nothing about. Also that Pat Kane guy is a pretty special player.

Yakupov's game has been figured out. He's been in this league 5 years without an ounce of improvement.

What they might see is a cap dump with a player they can ditch next year.

Seems like everything is set in stone to you regarding Yak's game. Any other unknowns will do fine in the top 6 just as long as it's not Yak.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Honestly for our wings. We are a set

Eberle- clear above
Puljuarvi-better now and the gap will be miles soon
Kassian-Better depth option. Smarter player and a way more physical presence

Yak aint cracking that top 3. Then add in chance Drasaitl plays top 6 RW. Oh and Versteeg outplaying him...oh and Pitlick as well. Hes far down the depth chart

Puljujarvi has not shown he is better than Yakupov (right now) in the preseason. Kassian is a total waste of a roster spot and a penalty machine liability. It's actually pretty sad how pathetic the right side is on the Oilers.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Today TVR suits this team better since he is the better of the 2 at the moment. Pokka still a gamble but has upside to fit this team better in the future but he still has work to be consistent at this level.

Thanks. TVR safer bet, Pokka potentially pays off more?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Apparently Yakimov has been thrown on the wing in the KHL also, keep your eye on that scenario.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
He couldn't score with the best prospect on the planet. Pretty safe to say that he's not going to get much better on other teams with lesser players than McDavid.

That's ********. A change in scenery could do loads for a player. Especially a player as young as Yak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad