Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Eau Claire (region, not mall) and East Village along with Prince's Island Park are awesome for outdoor activities. Charbar and river cafe are better than any comparable options to Edmonton.

Stephen ave is still far better than Jasper/104, unless Hudson's, Mercer and the Pint are fine dining establishments.

17th was mentioned due to its proximity to the arena.

10th/11th ave are a couple blocks from the core and offer far better options than anything downtown Edmonton. Then when you come to the edge of the downtown core, you have bridgeland and kensington. Shiki Menya and Hayden Block are better restaurants than Meat and Prairie noodle house.

Trust me man, I spend a ton of time in both cities and you really can't compare the two for options near the downtown core.
giphy.gif

Reactions: g6grim

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Interesting.
You have multiple people suggesting this and yet you still push back.

Maybe you just dont know where to go? ;)

I'm all ears. I have a nice long post there comparing restaurants.

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Interesting.
You have multiple people suggesting this and yet you still push back.

Maybe you just dont know where to go? ;)

He used Edmonton's worst as an example and yet used Calgary's supposed best. Hardly a well conceived apples to apples argument

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Have you spent any time in downtown Edmonton since the new arena opened? The feel is totally different. Tonnes of options to walk to after a game or confert, and far closer than the Saddledome.

Ultimately you're right that it's all preference. This all started with a response to the tired old argument that we can't sign or trade anyone because Edmonton sucks. I stand by the fact that it's much much more related to team performance than the city.

I took in a couple of games over Christmas, was my first Edmonton winter since I moved away 11 years ago, and honestly, it was just too cold to bother finding nearby establishments. Which is the entire issue.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I’d have time for Bennett in a Pulijaarvi + 3rd type of deal. Wouldn’t give up much for him though. He’s a 3rd line winger. Doesn’t really fill a hole. We need a top 6 guy and a 3C Bennett is neither.

PinSeeker

Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I took in a couple of games over Christmas, was my first Edmonton winter since I moved away 11 years ago, and honestly, it was just too cold to bother finding nearby establishments. Which is the entire issue.
This is at least a completely fair argument. It is awful to walk around downtown in -31 plus windchill, no debating that.

Reactions: Aerrol

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Mangiapane would be a good add to the forward group at the cost of a 3rd liner, had realy solidd production for what was exclusively 4th line usage

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Stephen Ave vs Jasper Ave/104 St: I'm sticking to my guns here. I can see the appeal of Stephen Ave, particularly the very high density of stuff. But if you're going to mock Jasper/104 for the Pint, Hudson's and Mercer...

Stephen Ave: Cactus Club, Earl's, Barcelona, National, State and Main, and Cucina (the only place I kind of like). Did I miss anything notable?
The National rooftop is absolutely amazing, tough to compare that to the Pint and Hudsons... All of the Calgary options have better food than the above 3 as well, not to mention Edmonton has a Cactus Club, and Earls on Jasper ave as well... But yes, you are missing Murietta's, Saltlik, Hy's if you are looking for decent food as well as a good drink selection.

Jasper Ave/104 (Sorry, and also 103 - still a block or two walking away): Corso32, Uccellino, Bar Brico, Sabor, DOSC, and Bundok all right there. Of the two lists I'm much more interested in the Edmonton ones.
Well, Beltline the same distance to Stephen ave as 104 is to Jasper... So if you want to go that far, you're looking at Vintage, Ten foot henry, Native tongues, Two penny, even Last Best has good food. And yes, I do walk those 3 blocks to grab lunch from time to time.

Charbar and Hayden Block are overrated, plus I received the most racist treatment by a server I've ever had at Hayden Block, lol. I'll pass on going back there.
That's a shame, nobody deserves that and I can definitely see how that would sour you on that place. With that said, their food is delicious and their scotch selection is great.

Your understanding of "near the downtown core" is also an issue here in terms of the debate, as you are now going into Kensington, the Beltline, and Bridgeland. In my view, those places are all far enough away that they're practically the same distance (in terms of me grabbing something quickly for lunch) as Whyte Ave is. At a certain point, they're all just '10-15 min drives' to me, and given the worse congestion leading to access these areas, they're pretty much the same feel as driving from downtown Edmonton to the south side (34th Ave has some good food options) or towards the west of the downtown like 124th St.
As I said before, Beltline from Stephen Ave is the same distance as 104 from Jasper, so is that really outside of the core? Bridgeland and Kensington aren't really "10-15 min drives" in any sense of the word. It's less than 5 minutes in a Car2Go, not 65 blocks away like 34th avenue.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The National rooftop is absolutely amazing, tough to compare that to the Pint and Hudsons... All of the Calgary options have better food than the above 3 as well, not to mention Edmonton has a Cactus Club, and Earls on Jasper ave as well... But yes, you are missing Murietta's, Saltlik, Hy's if you are looking for decent food as well as a good drink selection.

Well, Beltline the same distance to Stephen ave as 104 is to Jasper... So if you want to go that far, you're looking at Vintage, Ten foot henry, Native tongues, Two penny, even Last Best has good food. And yes, I do walk those 3 blocks to grab lunch from time to time.

That's a shame, nobody deserves that and I can definitely see how that would sour you on that place. With that said, their food is delicious and their scotch selection is great.

As I said before, Beltline from Stephen Ave is the same distance as 104 from Jasper, so is that really outside of the core? Bridgeland and Kensington aren't really "10-15 min drives" in any sense of the word. It's less than 5 minutes in a Car2Go, not 65 blocks away like 34th avenue.

I don't think I appreciate restaurant steaks as much as some - I'd rather just grill a steak at home. But OK, fair, with Vintage, Saltlik and Hy's all downtown, advantage Calgary for good steakhouses in addition to ramen for sure.

I haven't tried Murietta's yet - I'll have to stop by and give it a shot.

Disagree about travel times to Bridgeland and Kensington though, the traffic is brutal. I just got caught in Kensington this morning for a good 15 minutes trying to get into downtown.

In any event, I will drop it here, I think we've both made our points and it's an argument about personal preference which is nigh impossible to quantify or change in another person. I still think the options in the two cities are very comparable. Let me know if you have any other restaurant suggestions though, I'm always curious to try new places.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I’d have time for Bennett in a Pulijaarvi + 3rd type of deal. Wouldn’t give up much for him though. He’s a 3rd line winger. Doesn’t really fill a hole. We need a top 6 guy and a 3C Bennett is neither.

Why would they go for this though? Is there some rumour that Bennett wants out/contract issues? Otherwise it's just trading Bennett for...a crappier version of him and a third?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
meh, chalk it all to typical Calgarian arrogance IMO...it's like they're stunned not all of us are enamored with their supposed "amazing city"
it's a nice city with flaws...no different than Edmonton

Calgary is just as much of a shithole as Edmonton. The only thing it has going for it is that it's closer to the mountains. This thread is now two fan bases arguing over which shithole is nicer.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Apparently the Jackets are at forefront of a Marner Offersheet, after their offseason that would be a very bold move.

Yes please. we need more mayhem in the NHL. A big Marner offersheet will send some ripples around the league.

I gotta say, I respect Columbus alot the past year for going all in. I think some of the trades are dicey as those short term rentals were not going to return. But Jarmo has some brass balls. I do not know if I would have made those moves, but entertaining to watch

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Yes please. we need more mayhem in the NHL. A big Marner offersheet will send some ripples around the league.

I gotta say, I respect Columbus alot the past year for going all in. I think some of the trades are dicey as those short term rentals were not going to return. But Jarmo has some brass balls. I do not know if I would have made those moves, but entertaining to watch

Yeah I was somewhat rooting for the Jackets just in the hopes it'd spark similar movement around the NHL lol.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I saw in a Twitter thread apparently recapping the 31 thoughts podcast where Friedman said Marner is contemplating 12.5 x 7 from NYI but he's afraid Leafs might match.

Wouldn't that imply he DOESNT want to be in Toronto? Sounds like he's okay long term elsewhere but not with the Leaves

Reactions: KYams17

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I saw in a Twitter thread apparently recapping the 31 thoughts podcast where Friedman said Marner is contemplating 12.5 x 7 from NYI but he's afraid Leafs might match.

Wouldn't that imply he DOESNT want to be in Toronto? Sounds like he's okay long term elsewhere but not with the Leaves

Money talks always has always will

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
See my response to Ramrod. I don't even understand how you can possibly say Calgary has significantly better restaurants and bars, lol. I have gone out a ton in both cities and I really don't a significant difference at all.

I didn't say "significantly better." I said "for the most part." For non-chain, mid-range offerings, Calgary simply has more options and a slight edge in quality. That said, I haven't had anything in Calgary that can touch Bar Bricco/Corso 32/Uccellino.

Calgary's microbrew scene also blows Edmonton's clear out of the water, it's flat out ridiculous.

Reactions: Aerrol

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Money talks always has always will

Apparently the thread had said Marner was 'okay' with shorter term but definitely not 7 years so I dont know if it's simply a money issue. This is the same team that shafted his entry level bonuses, propped up Matthews as head and shoulders above him while Marner consistently outperformed him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00