Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Calgary has better restos and bars for the most part but it's a nightmare to get around in. It's also full of Calgarians.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Eau Claire (region, not mall) and East Village along with Prince's Island Park are awesome for outdoor activities. Charbar and river cafe are better than any comparable options to Edmonton.

Stephen ave is still far better than Jasper/104, unless Hudson's, Mercer and the Pint are fine dining establishments.

17th was mentioned due to its proximity to the arena.

10th/11th ave are a couple blocks from the core and offer far better options than anything downtown Edmonton. Then when you come to the edge of the downtown core, you have bridgeland and kensington. Shiki Menya and Hayden Block are better restaurants than Meat and Prairie noodle house.

Trust me man, I spend a ton of time in both cities and you really can't compare the two for options near the downtown core.

I agree. :nod:

Although its a shame whats happened to Eau Claire Market. Too many vendors have left.
Looking forward to the new development there,
That said there is nothing even close in downtown Edmonton to a place like Princes Island Park.
Just a gem in the heart of the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Has Stauffer said anything about who calgary might be interested in? Puljujarvi? Russell? Other?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
That's a fair point. Taken at face value though, Kadri has a 10-team NTC and from the sound of it Calgary was on it but not Colorado.

Oh I see, well can't blame him going off the board with 10 teams to begin with, especially with the Avs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Has Stauffer said anything about who calgary might be interested in? Puljujarvi? Russell? Other?

I havent heard anything but if Bennett is actually available then IMO Holland better jump on it.

I think he has 2nd line potential for sure.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Eric Duhatschek (The Athletic) proposes a Lucic for Neal swap based on:

- both struggling on their current team
- the Oilers' need for a RW
- the Flames' need/want for a tougher forward (they tried getting Reaves last summer)
- Lucic only being owed $16M compared to Neal's $23M

He also mentioned that Mike Smith helped recruit Neal to Calgary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soli

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Stauffer answering a question about a Bennett acquisition:

"I'd say it's a long shot"

Go back to your summer.

Reactions: Aerrol

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Go back to your summer.

He is actually the worst.

I hate these guys who are “insiders” but never clarify what’s useful and what’s them throwing shit at a wall.

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005

Go back to your summer.

Baffling to me why anyone listens to a thing Bob says. He's as reliable as Eklund and everyone else of that ilk. It's his job to get people talking; doesn't mean he has any insider knowledge of anything. With Holland making more and more changes on the hockey ops side, I'd say its more and more likely that Bob knows even less than he knew before.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Eau Claire (region, not mall) and East Village along with Prince's Island Park are awesome for outdoor activities. Charbar and river cafe are better than any comparable options to Edmonton.

Stephen ave is still far better than Jasper/104, unless Hudson's, Mercer and the Pint are fine dining establishments.

17th was mentioned due to its proximity to the arena.

10th/11th ave are a couple blocks from the core and offer far better options than anything downtown Edmonton. Then when you come to the edge of the downtown core, you have bridgeland and kensington. Shiki Menya and Hayden Block are better restaurants than Meat and Prairie noodle house.

Trust me man, I spend a ton of time in both cities and you really can't compare the two for options near the downtown core.

Alright, we are miles from on topic here, so I promise this is my last post. But in order of your posts:

Outdoor spaces, sure, I'll give Calgary's downtown core the edge. Even then, there's the River Valley and the Leg Grounds right there. Less public space for chilling in parks and the like though for sure.

Stephen Ave vs Jasper Ave/104 St: I'm sticking to my guns here. I can see the appeal of Stephen Ave, particularly the very high density of stuff. But if you're going to mock Jasper/104 for the Pint, Hudson's and Mercer...

Stephen Ave: Cactus Club, Earl's, Barcelona, National, State and Main, and Cucina (the only place I kind of like). Did I miss anything notable?
Jasper Ave/104 (Sorry, and also 103 - still a block or two walking away): Corso32, Uccellino, Bar Brico, Sabor, DOSC, and Bundok all right there. Of the two lists I'm much more interested in the Edmonton ones.

Charbar and Hayden Block are overrated, plus I received the most racist treatment by a server I've ever had at Hayden Block, lol. I'll pass on going back there.

Calgary definitely has Edmonton beat for ramen with Shikimenya, Jinya, Menyatai and some gems out in the burbs. But Edmonton IMO has the better viet, thai and Chinese food IMHO, and Tokiwa was pretty damn good ramen too.

Your understanding of "near the downtown core" is also an issue here in terms of the debate, as you are now going into Kensington, the Beltline, and Bridgeland. In my view, those places are all far enough away that they're practically the same distance (in terms of me grabbing something quickly for lunch) as Whyte Ave is. At a certain point, they're all just '10-15 min drives' to me, and given the worse congestion leading to access these areas, they're pretty much the same feel as driving from downtown Edmonton to the south side (34th Ave has some good food options) or towards the west of the downtown like 124th St. But yes, I will concede that if we take a very broad view of "core", Calgary has definitely more stuff concentrated in the inner city than Edmonton. I believe I even said that, my first point was that once you get out of the inner core in Calgary everything is frustratingly far to get to with lots of neighbourhoods lacking access to stores or restaurants.

Ultimately, my point isn't even that one city is way better than the other, just that in my view they are very, very comparable cities within the confines of the city themselves. Calgary certainly has more mountain access though.

Reactions: Little Fury

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Calgary has better restos and bars for the most part but it's a nightmare to get around in. It's also full of Calgarians.

See my response to Ramrod. I don't even understand how you can possibly say Calgary has significantly better restaurants and bars, lol. I have gone out a ton in both cities and I really don't a significant difference at all.

Reactions: VainGretzky

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
See my response to Ramrod. I don't even understand how you can possibly say Calgary has significantly better restaurants and bars, lol. I have gone out a ton in both cities and I really don't a significant difference at all.

Interesting.
You have multiple people suggesting this and yet you still push back.

Maybe you just dont know where to go? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad