Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Ya Lou f'd him over but it could just be a Marner upset at organization as a whole. I've said before that this Marner/Matthews thing will probably be a repeat of Sens Daigle/Yashin. The non 1st overall player consistently out performing the 1st overall player but organization keeps pumping up the latter's tires

I'd hope Marner would not see it as being f'ed over. The ELC I mean, he did agree to it too. And maybe it was a part of what was driving him too, to be able to make up for it down the road. It would be management now trying to f him over if they are not respecting how Marner saved them from a cap penalty next season by giving up his schedule B bonus.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'd hope Marner would not see it as being f'ed over. The ELC I mean, he did agree to it too. And maybe it was a part of what was driving him too, to be able to make up for it down the road. It would be management now trying to f him over if they are not respecting how Marner saved them from a cap penalty next season by giving up his schedule B bonus.

Either way, sounds like hes not exactly enamored with staying long term with the Leafs. And this allegedly [I haven't listened to the podcast yet] from a Leafs homer in Friedman

Reactions: nabob

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fair enough, how long do you plan on giving Holland a break before you stop defending him ? 2 years ? 3 years ?

Dzingel might never have signed here and yes I am a bit edgy with him because it almost appears he thinks the Oiler's are ok with status quo heading into next season.

that's what we get from interviews and direction.

getting paid 3 million to move and shake. Not sit and hope.

It would be nice to see a young GM thinking outside the box to get them out of a tough situation, and he hasn't pulled any strings yet in a positive direction.

If sitting idle waiting for contracts to expire and term to get less is what you consider positive , that comes at a price.. burning off another year of Connor and Leon.

He’s making 5 million.

As you were, though I generally agree that not enough has been done and the team looks terrible right now. Our roster is getting straight up laughed at on the mains. Point projection of 62 and a 0% chance of winning the Cup.

Now, I get he wasn’t left with a lot of room or a lot of time, but didn’t Gretzky lay “great foundations” for deals? Is it not the same group of 30 other GM’s that Holland already was dealing with? He should have a pretty decent idea of what’s available out there.

I sure would have liked to see one clear cut acquisition that I can say - there, see? That guy definitively makes us better than last year. The closest might be Smith with his .898 being better than Talbot’s miserable number and I don’t think Granlund will score zero like Rieder did... but that’s reaching pretty hard for positives.

Oh well. Guess we’ll get good looks at some of the kids. Sorry Connor. This is legitimately all Bob’s fault.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Yes please. we need more mayhem in the NHL. A big Marner offersheet will send some ripples around the league.

I gotta say, I respect Columbus alot the past year for going all in. I think some of the trades are dicey as those short term rentals were not going to return. But Jarmo has some brass balls. I do not know if I would have made those moves, but entertaining to watch
If he gives up 4 firsts for Mariner which I dont think he even has a first next year that will destroy that franchise.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
If he gives up 4 firsts for Mariner which I dont think he even has a first next year that will destroy that franchise.

Columbus has all their 1st's. They're missing next year's 2nd and 3rd rounders and 2nd for 2020-21.

I figured the most likely offer sheet for Marner would come from the Islanders as retribution for snagging Taveras on them.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
He’s making 5 million.

As you were, though I generally agree that not enough has been done and the team looks terrible right now. Our roster is getting straight up laughed at on the mains. Point projection of 62 and a 0% chance of winning the Cup.

Now, I get he wasn’t left with a lot of room or a lot of time, but didn’t Gretzky lay “great foundations” for deals? Is it not the same group of 30 other GM’s that Holland already was dealing with? He should have a pretty decent idea of what’s available out there.

I sure would have liked to see one clear cut acquisition that I can say - there, see? That guy definitively makes us better than last year. The closest might be Smith with his .898 being better than Talbot’s miserable number and I don’t think Granlund will score zero like Rieder did... but that’s reaching pretty hard for positives.

Oh well. Guess we’ll get good looks at some of the kids. Sorry Connor. This is legitimately all Bob’s fault.

I'm not sure who said that, probably Burger Bob? But I think whoever said that was 100% bsing. If Keith Gretzky could've made deals he would have, not sure what kind of foundation he could've had in place.

I would be more understanding of the taking it slow stay the course approach if not for the Sekera buyout. Holland seems to be not really committing to pushing to compete now or rebuilding.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
God damn we suck. I used to be such a big fan but its getting hard. I do have faith, though. Why the hell would I, I must be crazy. But I think the team will now slowly improve. How the hell that ever gets us to a cup with like 27 teams in front of us, im not sure.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
We’re only 1 scoring winger from becoming a team that can battle for a playoff spot. Much more is needed to be contenders but I have to believe Holland is trying hard to make a deal for that winger. Weather anything materializes or not I guess time will tell. If he can secure that winger and with the new acquisitions he has made and the limited cap space we have then I’ll consider this offseason a success.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
We’re only 1 scoring winger from becoming a team that can battle for a playoff spot. Much more is needed to be contenders but I have to believe Holland is trying hard to make a deal for that winger. Weather anything materializes or not I guess time will tell. If he can secure that winger and with the new acquisitions he has made and the limited cap space we have then I’ll consider this offseason a success.

Idk man... I think two scoring wingers.

Drai - McDavid - Kass
Winger1 - Nuge - Winger2
Chaisson - Granlund - Gagner
Lucic - Khaira - Haas

I'd argue we need a 3C and a puck moving 4D as well... But idk.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Idk man... I think two scoring wingers.

Drai - McDavid - Kass
Winger1 - Nuge - Winger2
Chaisson - Granlund - Gagner
Lucic - Khaira - Haas

I'd argue we need a 3C and a puck moving 4D as well... But idk.
I agree it be a lot better with The additional players but I believe with even 1 scoring winger will put us in the battle for a wild card. That’s not saying we would make the playoffs but at least I think we would be in it to the end. Our new acquisitions will outperform the reiders of the team from last year I would hope.nygard and haas one would hope will be better then reider and JP

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Or the Canadian team is actually good.

How long ago was the last dominant Canadian team? Why be an American and play in media crazy, Canadian markets while paying higher taxes when you can play in an American city, go about your day unnoticed while paying less taxes.

Sep 19, 2008
I think it would be more like this...

c8baf2b2f82a76f5f6bbcedbcc576f11--jerry-seinfeld-winter-coats.jpg

It's Gore-Tex!

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I agree it be a lot better with The additional players but I believe with even 1 scoring winger will put us in the battle for a wild card. That’s not saying we would make the playoffs but at least I think we would be in it to the end. Our new acquisitions will outperform the reiders of the team from last year I would hope.nygard and haas one would hope will be better then reider and JP

If Talbot played .500 hockey the last 2 seasons we’d be in a battle for a wild card spot. My personal opinion is that he was a huge part of our teams failure the last 2 seasons. If Koskinen/Smith can be average this season then we got a shot. It’s still a garbage roster but Mcdavid, Draisaitl and RNH dragged this roster 11 points away from a playoff spot which sounds bad but it would have been much worse without them.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I also think that Benson could be that winger. What he did last year in the AHL was impressive for a player his age and puts him in really good company.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm glad players will get more resume hits on indeed.com applying to the all the NHL jobs on there.

K now address top 5 most liveable city list. Being an hour away from the mountains is a perk anyone can enjoy including NHLers. Having a lively and active Downtown is also a perk anyone can enjoy including NHLers. Having a clean looking city is also a perk anyone can enjoy including NHLers.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kadri (a Canadian) just vetoed a trade to them so in a hockey context, you're wrong.

Most Canadian teams will never be desired locations, this isn't exclusive to Edmonton. You could also add Buffalo to that list as well. Probably Detroit and Pittsburgh (the rust belt which is ugly as sin) when they aren't winning anymore although Detroit has that "Original 6" appeal. Columbus as well as we saw in high volume this offseason.
The big U.S. markets (New York area teams, California teams, Boston and Chicago in particular) will always have the advantage over everybody else when it comes to desirability, as well as the sunbelt teams.

This is why it's even more imperative in a market like Edmonton to have a good development system because it seems like lots of players are quite fond of the city once they are here, it's the organization that turns players off. Pronger (Wife) and Visnovsky are the only two prominent names that I can think of off the top of my head that didn't like the city.

One player out of THOUSANDS that have gone through the NHL in the last 3 decades does not prove that Calgary is just an unattractive as a Free Agent Destination than Edmonton. Most Canadian teams? There's attractiveness to places like Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, and Montreal. Maybe Ottawa and Winnipeg are close to the same level as Edmonton at the very BOTTOM of the free agency attractiveness scale.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
How long ago was the last dominant Canadian team? Why be an American and play in media crazy, Canadian markets while paying higher taxes when you can play in an American city, go about your day unnoticed while paying less taxes.

I guess there’s different definitions of “dominate” but the Flames just finished 1st in the west.

Sure they got smoked in the playoffs but their regular season was fantastic

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
If Talbot played .500 hockey the last 2 seasons we’d be in a battle for a wild card spot. My personal opinion is that he was a huge part of our teams failure the last 2 seasons. If Koskinen/Smith can be average this season then we got a shot. It’s still a garbage roster but Mcdavid, Draisaitl and RNH dragged this roster 11 points away from a playoff spot which sounds bad but it would have been much worse without them.
Agreed if we can land 1 more winger and Koskinen and smith can play average goaltending I believe we can push for a playoff spot. And if that winger turns out to be Benson then that’s a nice bonus

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Man if you think the main boards on here are toxic... Calgary puck is a nuclear ****ing wasteland.

Seriously, the f***ing delusion pisses me off as a flames fan; even as a homer, how the f*** can fans become so deluded and ill-informed? You have former crazy hfer okg (GuarenteedEV) going off about how Bennett is a better “primary point producer” than RNH and that he doesn’t get a fair chance (he was much worse here), followed by shit like this:

To CGY

RNH - $6
kassian - $2
Picks/Prospects (maybe includes Poolparty who can slot in as rw)

To Edm

Neal - $6
Frolik - $4
Bennett - FA

Followed by:

Get kassian and give up Bennett? :thumbd:

Know why I never bothered signing up. Jesus f***ing Christ....

Last edited:
Reactions: 780il

Former Referee 68

Aug 18, 2016
Canada
Fair enough, how long do you plan on giving Holland a break before you stop defending him ? 2 years ? 3 years ?

Dzingel might never have signed here and yes I am a bit edgy with him because it almost appears he thinks the Oiler's are ok with status quo heading into next season.

that's what we get from interviews and direction.

getting paid 3 million to move and shake. Not sit and hope.

It would be nice to see a young GM thinking outside the box to get them out of a tough situation, and he hasn't pulled any strings yet in a positive direction.

If sitting idle waiting for contracts to expire and term to get less is what you consider positive , that comes at a price.. burning off another year of Connor and Leon.
Longer then 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln