Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Two Days Before the Day After Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Honka could be had for peaunuts. Is he worth the flyer? Had decent ahl numbers, still under 25 years old.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Word was Kadri declined the trade to Calgary because he wanted to stay with the Leafs.

Players are allowed to say what they want so they do. The future of Toronto looks somewhat better than the future of Calgary, that could be said about a few other teams along with Toronto.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Players are allowed to say what they want so they do. The future of Toronto looks somewhat better than the future of Calgary, that could be said about a few other teams along with Toronto.
That's a fair point. Taken at face value though, Kadri has a 10-team NTC and from the sound of it Calgary was on it but not Colorado.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I live in Calgary and you cherry picked the one month it was actually cold here this "winter". Winter didn't even start here until the end of January this year. Weather is much milder (but less stable) in Calgary.

The bolded is right on the mark. As I said the chinooks arent factored into the average temps because they are too hard to predict.
So the average temps simply do not tell the whole story....pointless to post them really

Also...Edmonton gets as much as 3 times the snowfall as Calgary and because of the Chinooks in Calgary it has much more melting of snow in the winter.
Edmonton is much more likely to get snow and have it hang around for the entire winter.

I dont care for that...I like the variability that Calgarys winters have. I enjoy having a few mini spring thaws for the winter months.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I'm guessing that person has never heard of Stephen Ave, 10th, 17th, or eau claire/east village (if they wanted to do something outside.)

If 17th is downtown so is Whyte Ave, Eau Claire market is sad, east village still only has like three restaurants worth going to, Stephen Ave is worse than Jasper/103rd in Edmonton now. Anything else?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The bolded is right on the mark. As I said the chinooks arent factored into the average temps because they are too hard to predict.
So the average temps simply do not tell the whole story....pointless to post them really

Also...Edmonton gets as much as 3 times the snowfall as Calgary and because of the Chinooks in Calgary it has much more melting of snow in the winter.
Edmonton is much more likely to get snow and have it hang around for the entire winter.

I dont care for that...I like the variability that Calgarys winters have. I enjoy having a few mini spring thaws for the winter months.

Getting to preferences, I hate Chinooks lol. I much prefer stable weather, even if it's cold as balls.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
So the UFA market is now bone dry.

Anyone trust Ken Holland to make a trade between now and October?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If 17th is downtown so is Whyte Ave, Eau Claire market is sad, east village still only has like three restaurants worth going to, Stephen Ave is worse than Jasper/103rd in Edmonton now. Anything else?

Ah....no. Been to both and I dont agree with that at all.

Reactions: nabob

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
ANYWAYS sorry for contributing to the OT.

I really doubt Calgary trades Bennett to us. Bennett, while disappointing for his draft position, is currently trending up after a good playoffs and he's a cheap serviceable NHL player. They need those. Plus we're Edmonton.

I'd be curious about Honka but do we really need to spend more assets on young d prospects?

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Only reason Bennett is even on my radar is Stauffer's new love affair for him that seems to have come out of nowhere.

Still not really expecting it to happen, though.

Reactions: Aerrol

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
odd thing to say
Eh, just trying to illustrate part of why the flames aren't as big as the Oilers. Most of my co-workers are from India, so it's a very available example to me. Makes it easy to live in Calgary as an Oilers fan. :thumbu: I could have just as easily mentioned the flames don't have the same kind of storied franchise history, or as large of a geographical area that predominantly cheers for their team.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Ah....no. Been to both and I dont agree with that at all.

Like you said, personal preference. I don't enjoy pretty much any of the restaurants there and I've tried over half of them. It's almost all the same style of overpriced and sanitized food ala Earls/Cactus Club/National/Barcelona. Some decent patios there though. Edmonton's core is a lot less concentrated but has been getting a lot more unique restaurants and bars that at least try something different. I only ever make an effort to go the Stephen Ave for corporate events and for Rosso and Wise and Wright.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Brassard really needs to step up and show he's still a middle sixer. His last two stops were not impressive. I could see him ending up in a Maroon/Chiasson situation where he's shocked that he's not getting signed and ends up stuck with a PTO or a one year 1 mill deal.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
He's more like a poor mans Kadri but tougher. He'll likely never live up to his pre-draft potential but he'd be a great bottom 6 option and if we can't add anyone for the top 6 we could try him there this season and maybe he'd surprise us?
Would love to get Bennett. No chance they trade him to us.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Like you said, personal preference. I don't enjoy pretty much any of the restaurants there and I've tried over half of them. It's almost all the same style of overpriced and sanitized food ala Earls/Cactus Club/National/Barcelona. Some decent patios ther though. Edmonton's core is a lot less concentrated but has been getting a lot more unique restaurants and bars that at least try something different. I only ever make an effort to go the Stephen Ave for corporate events and for Rosso and Wise and Wright.

Alright then.
I think you are using some hyperbole here but to each their own...lol
Cheers.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Eau Claire (region, not mall) and East Village along with Prince's Island Park are awesome for outdoor activities. Charbar and river cafe are better than any comparable options to Edmonton.

Stephen ave is still far better than Jasper/104, unless Hudson's, Mercer and the Pint are fine dining establishments.

17th was mentioned due to its proximity to the arena.

10th/11th ave are a couple blocks from the core and offer far better options than anything downtown Edmonton. Then when you come to the edge of the downtown core, you have bridgeland and kensington. Shiki Menya and Hayden Block are better restaurants than Meat and Prairie noodle house.

Trust me man, I spend a ton of time in both cities and you really can't compare the two for options near the downtown core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad