Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Or atleast had help with those harder minutes.

Either way, Faulk is a excellent puck mover, if the Oilers could pry him out of Carolina, for a reasonable price, that would be a significant upgrade for them on the whole.

Oh I agree, but Barrie could fill the same role, has better stats and Avs fans don't ask for the moon. Same can be applied to Vatanen (not quite the same level of offense but still a comparable option).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
A guy I wonder about is Fedor Tyutin. I know he's a LHD, but he's been a solid top-4 guy for a long time, he has 2 more years at $4.5M which is quite reasonable, and still only 32. I don't know what he might cost, but worth a look as an upgrade.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Oh I agree, but Barrie could fill the same role, has better stats and Avs fans don't ask for the moon. Same can be applied to Vatanen (not quite the same level of offense but still a comparable option).

I will say, from what I've seen of the players, Faulk is better then Barrie, and they are both much better then Vatanen, imo.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
A guy I wonder about is Fedor Tyutin. I know he's a LHD, but he's been a solid top-4 guy for a long time, he has 2 more years at $4.5M which is quite reasonable, and still only 32. I don't know what he might cost, but worth a look as an upgrade.

He's a bottom pairing d-man now who has lost any offense he ever had. Be like getting Nikitin for two more years

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

I never want to pick up an overpaid and struggling defender from CBJ again.
This would literally be Nikitin 2.0

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I will say, from what I've seen of the players, Faulk is better then Barrie, and they are both much better then Vatanen, imo.

I prefer Barrie over Faulk. Cost less to acquire. I think Faulk is overrated and he's going to cost us Matthews.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Interesting. What about exemptions for age etc?

Yeah unfortunately that article just confirms what everyone has been speculating for months now. I'm much more interested to see what the rules are regarding exempt players, NMC/NTCs, and minimum salary/experience that each team has to expose.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
I think people need to step back from the whole cap will be an issue. If PC believes he is building a competitive team he won't worry about the cap. This is how the good teams operate. You worry about the cap when it's an issue. There are far too many variables in professional sports to worry about long-term potential issues.

I'd happily take Chicago-like cap headaches over the next 5-6 years if the results are similar.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He shouldn't he's not that good.

With the proposals I see people posting on here. 1st pick for Faulk. That scares me :laugh:

I for one think there are other ways to fix the defense without having to give up who could possibly becomes Oilers second best player. I mean McDavid, Matthews/Laine, Drai for the next 15 years. Sign me up

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
With the proposals I see people posting on here. 1st pick for Faulk. That scares me :laugh:

I for one think there are other ways to fix the defense without having to give up who could possibly becomes Oilers second best player. I mean McDavid, Matthews/Laine, Drai for the next 15 years. Sign me up

Part of me still wonders, if Chiarelli has it in mind, depending on how the lottery balls fall, to give McDavid 2 Finnish towers for each wing, make a deal so he can land both Laine and Puljivarvii(sp), which would blow my mind, if the deals were right.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Part of me still wonders, if Chiarelli has it in mind, depending on how the lottery balls fall, to give McDavid 2 Finnish towers for each wing, make a deal so he can land both Laine and Puljivarvii(sp), which would blow my mind, if the deals were right.

That would make no sense though. They already have a number of good wingers, why shift them around just to bring in two rookies.

If they're moving out forwards, it has to be for defence, not another high pick.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

I was thinking the same a few days ago. Or completely cleaning slate.

Draft Matthews
Trade Hall+ for Laine+
Trade the 2nd for Shaw
RNH+Ebs+Yak+Reinhart for defense
That frees up 22M of cap space
Use the cap space to sign 2 of Backes/Ladd/Eriksson/Lucic

We might be a younger and inexperienced team, but we have the proper veterans to insulate the younger guys now. The losing culture is also gone. Our window of opportunity is also bigger

Pouliot-Backes-Eriksson
Maroon-McDavid-Laine
Matthews-Drai-Shaw
x-x-x

One can dream

ivanthebad*

Chiarelli already said that we have an abundance of forwards and fixing the d through trade is the most likely way. He didn't seem that keen on trading the pick but he said sure, it is a possible route, but then followed it up by we will end up with a very good player ala draft.

Also, nobody seems to be inserting any vet presence with their proposals when that is not only one of the most glaring needs for this team, it's a proven model for success.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That would make no sense though. They already have a number of good wingers, why shift them around just to bring in two rookies.

If they're moving out forwards, it has to be for defence, not another high pick.

They are cheaper and both have a lot of size. Obviously they need defense, I'm just speculating.

Say Ottawa sits at #3, you trade Hall there for #3 and Ceci maybe? Again, I understand the NEED for defense, just wondering if Chiarelli has more planned then just simple "Need Defense"

Jun 9, 2011
That's 2 years from now. I don't think it should prevent us for shopping for a big name dman. 9M is a lot, but in 2 years rnh might be expendable. Faynes contract will be done. Who knows what other options will be available?
Trades are already getting less frequent as GM's catch on to the salary cap.

I think people need to step back from the whole cap will be an issue. If PC believes he is building a competitive team he won't worry about the cap. This is how the good teams operate. You worry about the cap when it's an issue. There are far too many variables in professional sports to worry about long-term potential issues.
Just in the last few years teams had a much different climate to work in, it took GMs a while to flip some value from wiley vets to prospects. I would like to keep some wiggle room. What if we wanted to get into the playoffs but couldn't make a trade or take advantage of someone else tight against the cap because we were maxed out?

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016

So... Ference needs to be bought out?

also, who the **** gives a 34 yr old depth-defenseman a NMC?!?

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Wouldn't the expansion draft occur AFTER next season, so Ference would be off-contract anyway?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Although its embarassing to see Oilers win another lotto. Oilers winning the lotto is actually probably best for NHL. I mean Chiarelli is the GM most likely to deal it. And trading that pick would be absolutely massive. Itd really shake up the league and probably start a chain reaction of other trades that would see new life blood pumped into NHL. If any other team wins it, theyll forsure keep Matthews. But if Chia wins it, you could see Matthews on a pretty good team if dealt

ivanthebad*

They are cheaper and both have a lot of size. Obviously they need defense, I'm just speculating.

Say Ottawa sits at #3, you trade Hall there for #3 and Ceci maybe? Again, I understand the NEED for defense, just wondering if Chiarelli has more planned then just simple "Need Defense"

As awesome as that would be lol, if Chiarelli has "more" planned, it's definitely not to get younger, skip development and play his players above their depth. His track record should be a good indicator.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Wouldn't the expansion draft occur AFTER next season, so Ference would be off-contract anyway?

I'm pretty sure last time expiring contracts still counted in the draft.

Oh man, check out these sketchy players that have to be protected:

Foligno
M. Staal
Clarkson (hahahah)
Phaneuf
Callahan
Pominville
Filpulla
Clowe
Hartnell
Bieksa
Tyutin

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Radulov has confirmed he is returning to NHL next year. Doubt he comes to Edmonton but could be a huge addition allowing us to move a Hall for a top flight defenceman.

Radulov + Subban > Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad