Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
we are the 29th team overall--you are aware of that, right?

Before we add a single player--we have 5mill to spend--for the 29th team that is a lot
we need to move out some dead weight and move some players that are redundant

Fayne, pouliot and one of Nuge or Eberle--that makes 13.5mill right there

and say we win the lotto--Matthews comes in at 3.75 next year--meaning we are 1.25 from the cap(more or less) for the 29th team--how long before McDavid is on 8mill a year? if not more?

when adding player X we need to remove player Y that is on the same or even a little more

if we spend to the cap when we are the 29th team--when we start getting good we wont have the space to address the "win now mode" that we all want--

so everyone who wants us to spend to the cap now? I will start taking names and when The Pizza man stands before the mics and says "We just do not have the space to add players" none of you guys will be able to complain about the fact we have no space to add when we need to add

we already have one of the highest cap hits in the league and this does not concern some people?

I'm just confused what you think the alternative to spending to the cap is?

Besides, it would make sense to assume that if in a trade the Oilers are bringing salary in, there is also salary going back out, either in that trade or in another one.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Eberle @5M or Yak + 2016 2nd + Reinhart for Barrie RFA rights

Hall for Hamonic + Nelson

Lander/Slepshyev/Musil/Oesterle + 3rd for Shaw

Sign Eriksson
Sign Chimera cheap

Maroon - McD - Eriksson
Laine - Draisaitl - Nelson
Poo - RNH - Shaw
Chimera - Letestu - Hendricks

Klef - Barrie
Sekera - Hamonic
Davidson - Fayne

Have great depth at C, and lots of options in the top 9.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
With the young star forwards, can the Oilers afford a 9M dman? I don't think they can.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I mean past McDavid's entry level deal. He'll make 10M.

That's 2 years from now. I don't think it should prevent us for shopping for a big name dman. 9M is a lot, but in 2 years rnh might be expendable. Faynes contract will be done. Who knows what other options will be available?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just over reading the main board trade forum. Am I the only one who thinks Justin Faulk is a tad overrated? The way he's talked about, you'd think he was one of the top 10 d-men in the league. Fun fact, he's had the worst +/- of Carolina's d-core every year but once since he entered the league. He started off this season red hot, but went ice cold at the end of December all the way through January and early February before getting hurt and missing a bunch of games to end the season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome him with open arms here, but he's not an elite #1. Seems to have the offense down, but his ability to keep the puck out of the net seems to be lacking. And then you hear asks of Hall+ or the 1st overall+... I just don't buy that he's that good. The argument is always used against guys like Hall/RNH that their value is lower because the Oilers haven't been able to win anything with them. Well the Canes haven't made the playoffs in nearly as long, and not once in Faulk's career.
~rant~

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
we are the 29th team overall--you are aware of that, right?

Before we add a single player--we have 5mill to spend--for the 29th team that is a lot
we need to move out some dead weight and move some players that are redundant

Fayne, pouliot and one of Nuge or Eberle--that makes 13.5mill right there

and say we win the lotto--Matthews comes in at 3.75 next year--meaning we are 1.25 from the cap(more or less) for the 29th team--how long before McDavid is on 8mill a year? if not more?

when adding player X we need to remove player Y that is on the same or even a little more

if we spend to the cap when we are the 29th team--when we start getting good we wont have the space to address the "win now mode" that we all want--

so everyone who wants us to spend to the cap now? I will start taking names and when The Pizza man stands before the mics and says "We just do not have the space to add players" none of you guys will be able to complain about the fact we have no space to add when we need to add

we already have one of the highest cap hits in the league and this does not concern some people?

Where are you getting your numbers from???

As of right now the Oilers have $59.5 committed on 21 players. This excludes bonuses for Leon and McDavid, as well as Nurse and Reinhart. I'd write McDavid's bonuses in in stone so that is $2.8M added taking you up to $62.3M. The chances that Leon hits his schedule B bonuses are quite slim. To do so he has to pretty much finish top 10 in scoring, assists or goals. If he does that you smile and gladly write him the cheque. But even if he does that takes you to $64.6M.

The only way either Nurse or Reinhart hit their bonuses is if it is another disastrous year as neither put up points so the only way to hit bonuses for them is to play 42 games and be top 4 in ice time or be top 3 in plus minus with a minimum of 42 games. Realistically one of them could earn $212-450K at most. At best that takes you to $65M with the much more realistic number being $63M or less.

The numbers above does include Ference at $3.25M who will either be bought out if healthy or be on LTIR, freeing up at least $2M more space leaving you sitting at $61M. Sign Kassian, Pakarinen and one of Gryba or Pardy and you have about $65.5 committed with the bonuses included on a full 23 man roster.

It is unlikely that the cap stays at $71M because the NHLPA will almost for sure exercise the escalator. But even if they don't that leaves you with $5.5M simply for upgrades, which is a ton of room. And that includes guys like Korpikoski and Fayne who together eat up over $6M in space.

The much more likely scenario however is that the players do exercise the escalator as they virtually always have and the cap rises to somewhere between $74-75M. The low end of that range would leave them with about $9M in space even with bonuses factored in.

It is still the case I agree that the Oilers need to think about what happens when McDavid's ELC is up. But right now they have plenty of room to maneuver without compromising the ability to pay him.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
I don't know why cap space matters that much. The smartest thing Katz could do would be to set a payroll budget 10-15 % below the cap. The Oilers struggles can be traced to when they started spending to the max and neglecting scouting and bargain shopping. They were quite good from 1997 through 2006 at finding undervalued assets. Since then, they've opened the wallet to "solve" problems. Souray, Khabibulin, Nikitin, Fayne, Ference, etc etc.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Just over reading the main board trade forum. Am I the only one who thinks Justin Faulk is a tad overrated? The way he's talked about, you'd think he was one of the top 10 d-men in the league. Fun fact, he's had the worst +/- of Carolina's d-core every year but once since he entered the league. He started off this season red hot, but went ice cold at the end of December all the way through January and early February before getting hurt and missing a bunch of games to end the season.

Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome him with open arms here, but he's not an elite #1. Seems to have the offense down, but his ability to keep the puck out of the net seems to be lacking. And then you hear asks of Hall+ or the 1st overall+... I just don't buy that he's that good. The argument is always used against guys like Hall/RNH that their value is lower because the Oilers haven't been able to win anything with them. Well the Canes haven't made the playoffs in nearly as long, and not once in Faulk's career.
~rant~

I agree with you 100%, he is their best player and only real star in Carolina so to them his value is of a #1 D because they use him as such and all their offense goes through him.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Here's my game plan, assuming we draft #2.

Draft Laine
Trade for Hamonic and Lee (Eberle, Letestu, Fayne, picks/prospects)
Trade for Vatanen and cap dump like Bieksa or whoever (Pouliot, Yakupov)
Trade for Andrew Shaw (2nd round pick)
Sign Brouwer (needs to be a RH shot in my opinion)

Maroon-McDavid-Laine
Hall-Draisaitl-Brouwer
Lee-RNH-Shaw
Hendricks-Khaira-Kassian
Pakarinen

Klefbom-Hamonic
Sekera-Vatanen
Davidson-Bieksa
Gryba

Tried to keep it realistic. Obviously we don't want RNH on the 3rd line and Draisaitl could move to the wing but I'd prefer we trade one of RNH/Draisaitl + pieces to acquire a big #1 defenceman. Seems unlikely so I kept it out of my proposal.

Basically I am trying to add right handed shots with skill. Laine, Brouwer, Shaw, Hamonic, Vatanen, Bieksa all shoot right handed which is something we severely lack. It's often debated just how important handedness is, but I like the idea of having right handed shots play RW in most cases.

Laine replaces Eberle on way less salary and way younger age to grow with McDavid. The part I like about this lineup is we have a lot of versatile players. Shaw, Lee, Brouwer, Draisaitl, Hendricks, and Kassian can all play numerous positions up and down the lineup. You can't put Eberle, Yakupov, Letestu, or Pouliot in any scenario except the one they are good at. We have seen Shaw find success on Chicago's 1st and 3rd lines at centre and the wing. We've seen Lee do the same on the Island.

We are adding size, grit, and skill. Veteran presence on the backend and guys with playoff experience up front. Our kids don't know what it is like to win in this league and I am hoping the guys we bring in who do have experience in the playoffs will lead the way.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I agree with you 100%, he is their best player and only real star in Carolina so to them his value is of a #1 D because they use him as such and all their offense goes through him.

He's also the right age, if you're trying to get your #1 option for the next 10 years.

How much better would he be on a better team?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think people need to step back from the whole cap will be an issue. If PC believes he is building a competitive team he won't worry about the cap. This is how the good teams operate. You worry about the cap when it's an issue. There are far too many variables in professional sports to worry about long-term potential issues.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
He's also the right age, if you're trying to get your #1 option for the next 10 years.

How much better would he be on a better team?

Well we aren't a better team. I think hes miscast as a #1 and would probably be better if someone else took the harder minutes.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well we aren't a better team. I think hes miscast as a #1 and would probably be better if someone else took the harder minutes.

Or atleast had help with those harder minutes.

Either way, Faulk is a excellent puck mover, if the Oilers could pry him out of Carolina, for a reasonable price, that would be a significant upgrade for them on the whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad