Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I'm all about improving the defense as well. But when the expansion comes around, the assets we gave up only got us a top 4 D and not a true top pairing D. You have to ask yourself, is it that top 4 D worth the assets + losing one of Klef/Davidson? We are talking about these guys are also top 4 D's. That's throwing away assets

If we are already going to spend assets, we might as well go for the #1/#2D

I understand, but Hall is the only asset that can get you a true #1 or #2 and you'd probably have to add something to that.

I'm a big Davidson fan too, but I just don't see a consistent top 4 guy. I see a good #5. I'd really hate to go into next season with the mindset that you better not improve your defence because you MAY lose Davidson the following summer.

I know that I'm in the minority, but I think that losing Davidson probably wouldn't be the end of the world with Nurse, Reinhart, Simpson, Oesterle, etc. kicking around the organization.

Also, if everyone on D absolutely KILL it next year, couldn't you trade one of them before the expansion draft? Then that teams protects said player and the Oilers get assets.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Fayne is unfortunately around for a while unless Chia pulls something magical off. Going with your Brodin/Vatanen pickups here's what I'm thinking. Start Nurse off on the farm for some seasoning:

Klefa-Brodin
Sekera-Vatanen
Davidson-Gryba
Oesterle

If the Oilers are willing to retain $ on Fayne he shouldn't be an issue to move. A right handed veteran #4 dman at (up to) 1.8M would be valuable to lots of teams.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Who PLAYS with RYAN SUTER.

You can't just write off a dman because they play with Suter. Yes there should be concerns if a player can duplicate their effectiveness here without having that anchor but I think there's also a positive in that situation from a young player developing and learning from playing with a top dmen.

Your same stance was echoed by many here who thought a player like Josi away from Weber was not worth trading Eberle for a couple years ago. It really comes down to our scouts doing their homework and getting it right with all the information they have.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
We can draft Dubios if a trade doesn't open up. It gives us options to move out other players. We could probably move Reinhart and Yakupov with some picks to get a few "less desired" top pairing guys.

Hall-Draisaitl-Maroon
Pouliot-McDavid-Dubois
Kassian-RNH-Eberle
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpi

Klefbom-Brodin
Sekera-Vatanen
Nurse-Gryba
Davidson

That's what you called "settling". Aim higher. And Vatanen is not going to be an easy acquisition by an means.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's what you called "settling". Aim higher. And Vatanen is not going to be an easy acquisition by an means.

Offer sheet him. Anaheim will be very hard pressed to match with an internal cap. I think most Ducks fans are resigned to Vatanen being a goner.

Vatanen is going to be this year's Dougie Hamilton ... he's going to go for picks because of salary issues. Maybe not the only d-man this summer in that category either.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Methot + Lazar + 12 OAP

for

4th OAP

Sound fair Edmonton fans?

I like it a lot. At 12 we could still likely grab one of the big 3 dmen, Methot is a good 2nd pair dman and Lazar could be our 3C replacement if we trade Nuge for a dman. It's not sexy but it works for us imo

Samsens

Jan 20, 2015
Fredericton, NB
I like it a lot. At 12 we could still likely grab one of the big 3 dmen, Methot is a good 2nd pair dman and Lazar could be our 3C replacement if we trade Nuge for a dman. It's not sexy but it works for us imo

I agree, as a Sens fan it would suck to see both players go. But we need top 6 help. One of the best things I have learned on here is "If it doesn't hurt you, then it isn't a fair trade"

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
1) Sign Eric Staal (3 years at 4 million)
- Before you all critisize this move realize that Staal will be playing 3rd line minutes, be relatively cheap, and adds a much needed veteran presence to the team. Also a great leader.
2) Pick 32 + Nurse for Trouba
3) Pick 4 + Eberle + Reinhart for Subban
4) Trade a 5th for rights to Boedker (5x5)
5) Fayne to FLA for a 5th
6) Sign a cheap backup

Hall - RNH - Draisaitl (16)
Boedker - McDavid - Maroon (10)
Pouliot - Staal - Yakupov (10.5)
Hendo - Letestu - pak/Korpi (5)

Sekera - Subban (14)
Klefbom - Trouba (9)
Davidson - Oesterle (3)
Pardy

Talbot (4)

Rough cap estimates. From my mental math this team is a little below cap.
Tried to do something different than the usual.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
Offer sheet him. Anaheim will be very hard pressed to match with an internal cap. I think most Ducks fans are resigned to Vatanen being a goner.

Vatanen is going to be this year's Dougie Hamilton ... he's going to go for picks because of salary issues. Maybe not the only d-man this summer in that category either.

I think after the Maroon trade you're not turning around and sticking it to the ducks. There is more to that trade to come, my 2 cents anyway.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
- Before you all critisize this move realize that Staal will be playing 3rd line minutes, be relatively cheap, and adds a much needed veteran presence to the team. Also a great leader.
6) Sign a cheap backup

Sekera - Subban (14)
Klefbom - Trouba (9)
Davidson - Oesterle (3)
Pardy

Talbot (4)

Yakupov won't be here so maybe switch him out with Shaw (after a trade involving those 2). Other than that though I'd be very happy with that lineup.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

12 is too far to drop.

Dubois could be the next Jamie Benn or David Backes on the lower end and we're talking about 3rd line centers ... bleh.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I understand, but Hall is the only asset that can get you a true #1 or #2 and you'd probably have to add something to that.

I'm a big Davidson fan too, but I just don't see a consistent top 4 guy. I see a good #5. I'd really hate to go into next season with the mindset that you better not improve your defence because you MAY lose Davidson the following summer.

I know that I'm in the minority, but I think that losing Davidson probably wouldn't be the end of the world with Nurse, Reinhart, Simpson, Oesterle, etc. kicking around the organization.

Also, if everyone on D absolutely KILL it next year, couldn't you trade one of them before the expansion draft? Then that teams protects said player and the Oilers get assets.
in general I want us to fix the team. We can worry about expansion issues after. I also agree that losing Davidson wouldn't be the end of the world. He won't be the best player poached from a team if that happens. We csn make mid season trades as well

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
12 is too far to drop.

Dubois could be the next Jamie Benn or David Backes on the lower end and we're talking about 3rd line centers ... bleh.

If it makes you feel better at 12 we could likely get one of Keller, Bellows or Jost. Also one of Chychrun, Juolevi and Sergachev will likely be there too. Food for thought.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Yakupov won't be here so maybe switch him out with Shaw (after a trade involving those 2). Other than that though I'd be very happy with that lineup.

I think if we bring in a good vet (like Staal) Yakupov would really benefit similar to when Roy was brought in. Unless we get fair value I hang onto Yak and see what happens.
Thanks for the response!

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
6) Sign a cheap backup

Sekera - Subban (14)
Klefbom - Trouba (9)
Davidson - Oesterle (3)
Pardy

Talbot (4)

Yikes.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
6) Sign a cheap backup

Sekera - Subban (14)
Klefbom - Trouba (9)
Davidson - Oesterle (3)
Pardy

Talbot (4)

a great leader doesn't smoke bomb his way out of the playoffs, and Staal barely plays C anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad