Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

Meh, at least you'd have a legit #1. As for your last part, who the hell knows. You shouldn't even be thinking about trading Subban in the first place, but it's Montreal so...

That and it's not like PC is so busy watching the Oilers in the playoffs right now.

Klefbom-Subban
Trade/Davidson-Demers
Nurse-Trade
Thats a solid D core. And I think everyone is naive if they think Nurse is playing 1 second of time in the AHL next year. They didnt send him down in the worst of the season when he was at his worst. They are probably not sending him down to AHL next year barring a disaster camp. He is going to have a full offseason to bulk up, a full offseason to break down film and watch everything he did wrong, and a full offseason to get better. What well see at camp is not likely what we saw this year. Hell even in junior he started out super slow but then gradually got to an elite CHL D

Assets going into the offseason

Eberle
Yak
RNH (maybe)
Poliout
2016 1st (could be extremely valueable, or still really good)
2017 1st, 2nd
2016 2nd
Jones
Bear
Paigin
cap space (big thing actually)

I think you could do damage with those assets. One Leddy trade, one big trade

Subban's cap hit at $9M is an issue though. With McDavid and Leon's deals pending in two years budgeting any more than about $26M for the defense means you have issues up front. With Subban that leaves you with $17M to fill in 6 slots. Assuming Sekera was the guy traded rather than Klefbom, which I think is unlikely you now have $12.8M to fill out your bottom 4 and a spare. In a world where Jeff Petry costs $5.5M don't expect to do this by signing FA's.

My guess is that with less in the way of truly high end assets and about the same cap or less space you get Hamonic and one of Barrie or Vatanen. Barrie would be more expensive of course but no where near the cost of Subban, Still he would provide a similar offensive dynamic and Hamonic makes you much tougher defensively.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Sekera is like only a handful of d. He can play the right or left side comfortably. He can PK and pp to some degree. He can rover on all lines and is usually the stronger of the pairings. Sekera was not brought in for points contrary to expectations. He was brought in to anchor the d and bring stability, and to be able to adjust in case of injury.. That's exactly what he has done. The minute the Oil fill their holes and needs on defense and play Sekera properly, his signing will start making a whole lot more sense.

I can agree with this. But its not like Sekera is irreplaceable. You could go to market and find a replacement in Demers/Goiglski/Yandle hell even Russell maybe. Or you could trade for one. I mean Kevin Klien likely doesnt cost alot. He could replace Sekera and costs only a 2nd probably

If Subban is even 0.1% available to focus all assets within reason at him. Then after you get him you spend a some assets in filling gaps you created. Sekera could be replaced pretty easily IMO. Well much, much easier than finding a D liek Subban

Subban sets you up for a possible dynasty. He would be remembered like Pronger (but would actually stay here). Sekera is a replacement level guy wed forget about in 5 years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
@ 4thlineforlife: Do not even joke about scouting for the 2017 draft.

I can't take another bottom feeding year. I just can't do it. :laugh:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The Ducks have soooo many good pieces thatd work great on Oilers. Vat, Lindholm, Fowler, Silverberg, Andersen, Cogs (again)

Please blow it up Anahiem. Rebuilds are so, so fun. Youll really like it. Just trade off all your assets first. Nolan Patrick is legit, hell help you

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
my offseason thoughts
Nuge + pou + fayne (ret33%) + Osterlee for Savard + Hartnell +Jenner
Lander 2nd for shaw
sign demers 5 x 4.5
sign C. Johnson 1mil

Hall Drai Yak/shaw 9.875
Mar McD Ebs 8.375
Har Jenner Shaw/Yak 10.15
Hend Let Kas = 5.4
Kor pak 3.5

Kelf Demers 8.7
Sekera Savard 9.75
Davidson Reinhardt 2.5
Gryba or Pardy 1.5

Talbot 4.16
Johnson 1
total cap 64.91 + fayne ret 1.2 =66.11
room for Bonuses about 5 mil if we can unload korpse for 5 we gain another 1.5 in space

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
my offseason thoughts
Nuge + pou + fayne (ret33%) + Osterlee for Savard + Hartnell +Jenner
Lander 2nd for shaw
sign demers 5 x 4.5
sign C. Johnson 1mil

Hall Drai Yak/shaw 9.875
Mar McD Ebs 8.375
Har Jenner Shaw/Yak 10.15
Hend Let Kas = 5.4
Kor pak 3.5

Kelf Demers 8.7
Sekera Savard 9.75
Davidson Reinhardt 2.5
Gryba or Pardy 1.5

Talbot 4.16
Johnson 1
total cap 64.91 + fayne ret 1.2 =66.11
room for Bonuses about 5 mil if we can unload korpse for 5 we gain another 1.5 in space

If we're trading Nuge we better be getting a defenceman that's better than Savard

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Ducks won't trade Lindholm, he is already there #1 dman. I would definitely trade Eberle for Vatanen if that is even possible.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
If we're going to troll Habs fans with the title, can we at least make it worthwhile? I'm suggesting something like:

Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban for spare parts and picks
or

Rumours and Proposals Thread: Anyone interested in a slightly used Subban?
or

Rumours and Proposals Thread: Fishing for a 9M Dman.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
If we're going to troll Habs fans with the title, can we at least make it worthwhile? I'm suggesting something like:

Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban for spare parts and picks
or

Rumours and Proposals Thread: Anyone interested in a slightly used Subban?
or

Rumours and Proposals Thread: Fishing for a 9M top 40 Dman.

I had to make a minor tweak to the last one :laugh:.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'm just glad that last thread is done with. The far fetched idea that we could ever acquire a talent like Montoya was just playing with my heartstrings every time I opened it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ducks won't trade Lindholm, he is already there #1 dman. I would definitely trade Eberle for Vatanen if that is even possible.

1356324077511853.jpg

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Hall-Draisaitl-Perry
Maroon-McDavid-RNH
Helm-Shaw-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen

Klefbom-Fowler
Getzlaf-Sekera
Nurse-Davidson

Gibson
Kesler

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
we do not have as much cap as some want to believe--I know I am a broken record on this subject. Both McDavid and Leon will tap out their Bonus's next year and we can talk about it as much as we like, but until we move RNH, Eberle, Fayne or Pouliot--we need to factor their contracts into the cap we have. Even with the cap being 71 mill--we are about 5mill from the cap--we should not be spending to the cap at this point in time--too many other holes to fill

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
we do not have as much cap as some want to believe--I know I am a broken record on this subject. Both McDavid and Leon will tap out their Bonus's next year and we can talk about it as much as we like, but until we move RNH, Eberle, Fayne or Pouliot--we need to factor their contracts into the cap we have. Even with the cap being 71 mill--we are about 5mill from the cap--we should not be spending to the cap at this point in time--too many other holes to fill

We shouldn't spend to the cap (presumably to fill holes) because we need to save cap space to fill holes?

What?

Isn't the off-season the time to fill those holes?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

No reason to really be worried at all. We have no bad long term deals

Here is cap coming off the books soon

Ference (3.25, maybe LTIR for rest of career)
Nikitin (4.5)
Schultz (1.95)
Hendrick (1.85)
Korpse (2.5)
Pardy (1M)

Theres 15.5 in next 3 years. 8 before McDabid, LD are up

Potential trades
Fayne (3.5)
Letesu (1.8)
Sekera (5.5)
Pouliot (4)

14.8 in players that could be moved. Fayne and Letesu wouldnt hurt. Sekera maybe replacement end of next season

So 29.3 in space in either moved off the books by expiring contracts or could be made through trades (ie Fayne for 7th).

Factor in Talbot raise ( up 3M), Klefbom raise (up around 3.5 mil). Theres 6.5 of cap hit.

Lets say LD is 6M (Barkov was 5.9 Hall is 6), Nurse is 4.5M (highest hell go likely if he breaks out), McDavid is 9. Thats 19.5. Add in 6.5 from Klef/Talbot and you are at 26. So still less than 29.3 you could free up

Also, guys like RNH/Eberle could be dealt for cheaper D too (hamonic 3.5, Vat around 5 etc). Or at worst, Eberle is dealt for picks/prospects if things get hairy

I see no cap issues in 3-4-5 years if we play it smart. Ofcourse by time Hall and cos deals end, the core will inevitably be broken up as it has to be

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We shouldn't spend to the cap (presumably to fill holes) because we need to save cap space to fill holes?

What?

Isn't the off-season the time to fill those holes?

we are the 29th team overall--you are aware of that, right?

Before we add a single player--we have 5mill to spend--for the 29th team that is a lot
we need to move out some dead weight and move some players that are redundant

Fayne, pouliot and one of Nuge or Eberle--that makes 13.5mill right there

and say we win the lotto--Matthews comes in at 3.75 next year--meaning we are 1.25 from the cap(more or less) for the 29th team--how long before McDavid is on 8mill a year? if not more?

when adding player X we need to remove player Y that is on the same or even a little more

if we spend to the cap when we are the 29th team--when we start getting good we wont have the space to address the "win now mode" that we all want--

so everyone who wants us to spend to the cap now? I will start taking names and when The Pizza man stands before the mics and says "We just do not have the space to add players" none of you guys will be able to complain about the fact we have no space to add when we need to add

we already have one of the highest cap hits in the league and this does not concern some people?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
we already have one of the highest cap hits in the league and this does not concern some people?

Its embarassing we cant ice a good team yes, but not concerning. Alot of money in scrubs that are coming off books this year and next year. Almost nobody is overpaid on a 3+ year deal and noone on this team with a 2+ year deal is untradeable

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
we are the 29th team overall--you are aware of that, right?

Before we add a single player--we have 5mill to spend--for the 29th team that is a lot
we need to move out some dead weight and move some players that are redundant

Fayne, pouliot and one of Nuge or Eberle--that makes 13.5mill right there

and say we win the lotto--Matthews comes in at 3.75 next year--meaning we are 1.25 from the cap(more or less) for the 29th team--how long before McDavid is on 8mill a year? if not more?

when adding player X we need to remove player Y that is on the same or even a little more

if we spend to the cap when we are the 29th team--when we start getting good we wont have the space to address the "win now mode" that we all want--

so everyone who wants us to spend to the cap now? I will start taking names and when The Pizza man stands before the mics and says "We just do not have the space to add players" none of you guys will be able to complain about the fact we have no space to add when we need to add

It isn't that much of a concern because the Oilers don't have many long term deals. Fayne is done in 2 years. Ference is probably bought out this summer. That's almost 7 million in cap right there.

If you get Matthews that's like 3.75 mill in, but it also likely means one of Eberle or RNH are pretty much gone, so that's 6 mill out.

We're at about 58 mill in salary for next year, but that doesn't factor in a Ference buy-out, so more like 56 mill lets say ... if the cap is about 73-74 mill, we have plenty of space.

Still have two years before McDavid's extension is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad