Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread III: Insert clever title here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-...uk-makes-oilers-top-draft-pick-hot-commodity/

We have an interesting position where people might actually OVERPAY if they value Tkachuk that much. I'm kind of glad we moved to 4th if that's the case :D

All it takes is for one GM to go crazy for Tkachuk to get insane value for him. Theres always one GM who goes nutty for a prospect

Who knows, maybe Arizonas new 28 year old analytics GM is looking to make a name for himself, isnt enamoured with OEL advanced stats and makes a huge splash by dealing OEL for 4th overall+ :dunno:

Maybe not that exact trade per se, but one GM just going hard for him

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
4th is a good spot to be in. It's the first pick that isn't set in stone and a bunch of GMs might want it to get "their guy".

I don't see Chia as a guy that would trade down for a bunch of lesser picks and prospects, honestly. I think a team would have to offer something pretty significant.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Interesting that there is so much hype from other GMs over Tkachuk. I guess it makes sense that he seems like a throw back forward. Tough, in your face, hits like a truck. That seems like itd be really appealing to some older school GMs

Probably said this trade 100 times but 4th + Reinhart for Barrie + 10th is a trade I can feel in my bones. Roy swaps a small offensive D for a meat and potatoes shut down D, gets a PWF prospect in either Dubios (Q connection) or Tkachuk (Roy dream player) and gives up a 10th overall in which a smaller forward prospect in Keller is probably BPA

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I don't see Chia as a guy that would trade down for a bunch of lesser picks and prospects, honestly. I think a team would have to offer something pretty significant.

I agree. More picks and prospects aren't going to solve anything. The Oilers would need an NHL D to tempt them to not pick in the 4th spot.

On another note, the Oilers have today and tomorrow to decide if they are giving their 2nd this season or next to Boston. If they haven't let the Bruins know by June 1st that the 2016 2nd is theirs, the oilers 2017 2nd is automatically given to Boston, effectively killing any chance the Oilers have of making an offersheet this summer. Unless the Oilers can somehow get that pick back at the draft. God I hate that rule. The NHL is led by such clowns. How do they word a rule so badly that teams have to pay compensation for people FIRED by their old team? Bunch of morons.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
Interesting that there is so much hype from other GMs over Tkachuk. I guess it makes sense that he seems like a throw back forward. Tough, in your face, hits like a truck. That seems like itd be really appealing to some older school GMs

Probably said this trade 100 times but 4th + Reinhart for Barrie + 10th is a trade I can feel in my bones. Roy swaps a small offensive D for a meat and potatoes shut down D, gets a PWF prospect in either Dubios (Q connection) or Tkachuk (Roy dream player) and gives up a 10th overall in which a smaller forward prospect in Keller is probably BPA

I'd do this in a heartbeat... Which probably means Colorado wouldn't...

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I agree. More picks and prospects aren't going to solve anything. The Oilers would need an NHL D to tempt them to not pick in the 4th spot.

On another note, the Oilers have today and tomorrow to decide if they are giving their 2nd this season or next to Boston. If they haven't let the Bruins know by June 1st that the 2016 2nd is theirs, the oilers 2017 2nd is automatically given to Boston, effectively killing any chance the Oilers have of making an offersheet this summer. Unless the Oilers can somehow get that pick back at the draft. God I hate that rule. The NHL is led by such clowns. How do they word a rule so badly that teams have to pay compensation for people FIRED by their old team? Bunch of morons.

Just curious why we don't get a pick for Chop Wood, Carry H20?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Apparently the PA filed a grievance against that rule and we can still offer sheet this summer. If it involves a 2nd the pick going to Boston will be deferred to 2018. And there's also the chance that Chia can negotiate something with them closer to the draft, as was done with SJ last year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I thought it came out that Edmonton could still offersheet and give Boston 2018 2nd?

heres the link

http://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2016/5/21/11730094/Boston-Bruins-Oilers-Offer-sheets-NHL-Free-Agency-Chiarelli-NHLPA

The NHLPA filed a grievance against the NHL claiming that by forcing teams to give up compensation for coaches hired away from other teams, it would impact teams abilities to use offer sheets. The NHL now will allow the compensation to be pushed back ANOTHER year if a team (in the Bruins case, the Oilers) offer sheet someone like Seth Jones, and the offer sheet is not matched. Given the proclivity of teams to throw offer sheets around, it is highly unlikely that it happens, but anything is possible

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
In this morning's mainboards ridiculousness, there are Arizona posters saying they wouldn't trade Connor Murphy straight up for 4th overall. :laugh:

Can you imagine the reaction if we said we wouldn't trade Davidson for 7th overall?

I don't see how they are comparable. Connor Murphy is several levels above Davidson. I don't see why Arizona would trade him for a draft pick.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Chia has said he's open to doing exactly that.

If he does that one year after handing two top 32 picks for friggin Reinhart he is another in a long list of clowns that can't succeed in making moves and thus falls back on the all your picks r belong to us.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't see how they are comparable. Connor Murphy is several levels above Davidson. I don't see why Arizona would trade him for a draft pick.

I don't agree with this.

Davidson has shown a high peaker than even Klef, Petry and Sekera ever did. Unless you are comfortable saying Murphy is already better than the 3

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
do we even have to trade for Barrie? couldnt we just offersheet him and trade for another dman or sign Demers?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
do we even have to trade for Barrie? couldnt we just offersheet him and trade for another dman or sign Demers?

Get his rights and you can sign him for significantly less than an offersheet and also have option to sign for 8 years if need be. Plus you dont run risk of pissing off other GMs (which I think is a very, very small thing). But getting a better contract is a big thing

Oct 15, 2008
I don't agree with this.

Davidson has shown a high peaker than even Klef, Petry and Sekera ever did. Unless you are comfortable saying Murphy is already better than the 3

He clearly is better than all those players. The only one of those who may be better would be Sekera, but not for much longer. Murphy is what we want Nurse to become.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Incorrect. He said he'd move down. He didn't say for what.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/o...calls-already-coming-for-fourth-overall-pick/

“I’ve had four or five teams call me already,†Chiarelli told CHED’s Bob Stauffer. “I’ve made it known that we’ll look to trade down if the right deal is there, in the context of a pure trade down or a trade down of giving up the draft numbers and getting a draft pick and an NHL player. So we went through a lot of scenarios at the amateur meetings…but there’s some real stuff that could come across our desks in the next few weeks.â€

Chia is more than willing to trade down, even if just to add more picks.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

There was an grievance by the NHLPA concerning the impact that these compensatory picks have on offer sheets. The decision was that while the pick would still have to be surrendered a team could still make an offer sheet by using a pick from another year. Unfortunately I can't find the reference for this.

(NVM: I see that was already stated.)

Oct 15, 2008
I'm entitled to my opinion just like you are to yours. I don't have to go out and poll the internet to justify my thought process just to please you. :laugh:

You were stating it like it was incontrovertible fact. You called it "ridiculousness" to think another way even. No chance you were presenting that as merely your opinion.

In any event, faux fact or opinion, it is nonsense nonetheless.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/o...calls-already-coming-for-fourth-overall-pick/

Chia is more than willing to trade down, even if just to add more picks.

I think the "if the right deal is there" will be the thing. Lots of GMs wag their tongues about trading up or down leading up to the draft, but almost always balk come draft day once they see that other GMs aren't so willing to give up actual high end NHLers for nothing but a draft pick.

Not saying it can't happen, the Dougie Hamilton trade last year is proof positive that it can...but I certainly don't think Chia's going to trade that pick come hell or high water, especially not outright straight across for a player. The trade down scenario is definitely more feasible though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad