Rumor: Rumours and Proposals: Part 9 - BOO--Urns Stays with Sharks 8y8M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Is it though?

We can all agree that they've played a lot better this year and that they still have holes, but I think we can also agree that we didn't expect them to be 1st in the division right now.

I don't think it's time to panic yet.

This month they played the Yotes twice (worse team in the league), the Stars twice (they are not good), The Leafs twice (again, not good), the Avs (Not good) and the Isles (worse team in the East).

That's 8 games, there's 15 in the month, that puts you over .500 by itself.

I'm happy they had such a great start, and they've really shown me some things, but if you're not significantly concerned about going sub .500 in November and the back to back loses to the Yotes, what's it going to take?

They need to look at all of this Very seriously, because they are a "usual" December away from being irrelevant in February (or even January)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I would look at the Habs, make deal there, Gallagher has had a slow start.

To MTL: Eberle and Reinhart

To EDM: Gallagher and Desharnais

Then Trade Pouliot to the Panthers for McIlrath.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I would look at the Habs, make deal there, Gallagher has had a slow start.

To MTL: Eberle and Reinhart

To EDM: Gallagher and Desharnais

Then Trade Pouliot to the Panthers for McIlrath.

There's no way that Montreal does that deal IMO.

As frustrated as I was about the last 2 games, it's nowhere near time to panic yet.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
There's no way that Montreal does that deal IMO.

As frustrated as I was about the last 2 games, it's nowhere near time to panic yet.

It's not panic, until they lose to the Leafs, but it's time for a shake up. Don't waste this start, don't waste this season. That's what November seems to have an exercise in trying to accomplish that.

And I would think Montreal would think about it, again, we all discount what Eberle is, but he's a top-line RWer, other teams would see him as such.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
RNH+Ebs+Reinhart for Henrique+Severson+Parenteau. Sign Tkachev. This team needs to get rid of all the baggage and build a new identity.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's not panic, until they lose to the Leafs, but it's time for a shake up. Don't waste this start, don't waste this season. That's what November seems to have an exercise in trying to accomplish that.

And I would think Montreal would think about it, again, we all discount what Eberle is, but he's a top-line RWer, other teams would see him as such.

Gallagher is a better overall player on a better contract, a coaches' dream. Therrien would hate Eberle, he prefers 2 way gritty types.

I don't think the Oilers need a big shake up. They just need to keep their focus for longer periods. The Rangers, Pens and both Coyotes games were all blown late in the 3rd because of mental lapses so they aren't too far off from being a good team.

What they need to do is bench the floaters. Pouliot shouldn't see a game again until Pitlick or Slepyshev play their way off the roster. Maybe bench Eberle for a game to send a message. Enough of handing guys spots due to contract status. Hendricks as much as I love him as a character guy just doesn't have it anymore. The Oilers need more speed in that spot.

A few tweaks here and there and they should be in the mix for a playoff spot near the end. Wait until they get close to the trade deadline and assess from there.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Gallagher is a better overall player on a better contract, a coaches' dream. Therrien would hate Eberle, he prefers 2 way gritty types..

I agree, on the team that punted Subban and signed Radulov, I can see them looking at it.

I don't think the Oilers need a big shake up. They just need to keep their focus for longer periods. The Rangers, Pens and both Coyotes games were all blown late in the 3rd because of mental lapses so they aren't too far off from being a good team.
There is a VERY significant difference between blowing a game against the Rangers or getting a bad bounce against the Pens, and what they just did with the Yotes. The Rangers and Pens are good teams, the Yotes are terrible.

What they need to do is bench the floaters. Pouliot shouldn't see a game again until Pitlick or Slepyshev play their way off the roster. Maybe bench Eberle for a game to send a message. Enough of handing guys spots due to contract status. Hendricks as much as I love him as a character guy just doesn't have it anymore. The Oilers need more speed in that spot.
I could not agree more, but I think it needs to be more then that. I would bench both Eberle and Pouliot next game, but I wonder if it will stick. Watching Pouliot on Friday, it looked like he took his benching as a sign the team didn't understand how valuable he was, and I swear he looked like he was playing like he was pouting. A trade truly changes things, and might wake some guys up.

A few tweaks here and there and they should be in the mix for a playoff spot near the end. Wait until they get close to the trade deadline and assess from there
I think they will stay in the mix as well, but they need to find a consistent game. Because as inspiring as the Hawks and Wings games were, the last 2 Yotes games were even more alarming.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
This month they played the Yotes twice (worse team in the league), the Stars twice (they are not good), The Leafs twice (again, not good), the Avs (Not good) and the Isles (worse team in the East).

That's 8 games, there's 15 in the month, that puts you over .500 by itself.

I'm happy they had such a great start, and they've really shown me some things, but if you're not significantly concerned about going sub .500 in November and the back to back loses to the Yotes, what's it going to take?

They need to look at all of this Very seriously, because they are a "usual" December away from being irrelevant in February (or even January)

I agree that they need to take things seriously, I'm just saying that they don't need to blow it up or make a major move to change up the team at this time.

I'm frustrated with Eberle as much as anyone, but I don't think it's time to dump him for whatever's available.

It's up to the coaches to teach and motivate guys like Eberle and Pouliot right now.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I agree that they need to take things seriously, I'm just saying that they don't need to blow it up or make a major move to change up the team at this time.

I'm frustrated with Eberle as much as anyone, but I don't think it's time to dump him for whatever's available.

It's up to the coaches to teach and motivate guys like Eberle and Pouliot right now.

It's not dumping Eberle, it's making a large move to make a significant statement to the team.

Honestly, I would take Pouliot just being punted. I was of the mind "maybe keep him, he's a veteran, maybe he could help down the stretch", I was completely wrong, I would get him off the team immediately.

Edit: Just punting Pouliot would hopefully send the message "Pick it up or GTFO"

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
It's not dumping Eberle, it's making a large move to make a significant statement to the team.

Honestly, I would take Pouliot just being punted. I was of the mind "maybe keep him, he's a veteran, maybe he could help down the stretch", I was completely wrong, I would get him off the team immediately.

Edit: Just punting Pouliot would hopefully send the message "Pick it up or GTFO"

Yeah, fair enough.

Pouliot has had his time in the pressbox. I'd be shopping him at the moment for sure. I feel more comfortable with Slepyshev in the lineup.

Eberle needs a good talking to from the coaches. Maybe he needs to work on conditioning, I don't know. He needs to be told that floating for points is unacceptable as a top 6 forward and an assistant captain. A healthy scratch might just send the right message. I don't think he has any attitude issues, I think he's just used to losing going back to his days in Regina.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Pouliot and a fourth for Duclair? Don't get me wrong, I wasn't impressed by Duclair over the two games we played them, I thought he was preeeetty soft, but he also showed signs of working on his game. Pouliot is a analytics darling, the type Chayka likes.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not true, I think you could get Dylan McIlrath for him.

4 million dollars this year and the next two.

That contract makes Pouliot immovable for anything more than another teams cap dump with similar term and dollars.

With this and the Fayne thread you seem to have forgotten that there is a cap in this league. The majority of the league literally could not take Pouliot for free. The ones who could (the Rangers are not one of those teams) are not going to handcuff themselves to a 2nd/3rd line tweener making too much money signed for too long.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Pouliot and a fourth for Duclair? Don't get me wrong, I wasn't impressed by Duclair over the two games we played them, I thought he was preeeetty soft, but he also showed signs of working on his game. Pouliot is a analytics darling, the type Chayka likes.

Hopefully no one from the main boards sees this, would never happen

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

That contract makes Pouliot immovable for anything more than another teams cap dump with similar term and dollars.

With this and the Fayne thread you seem to have forgotten that there is a cap in this league. The majority of the league literally could not take Pouliot for free. The ones who could (the Rangers are not one of those teams) are not going to handcuff themselves to a 2nd/3rd line tweener making too much money signed for too long.

I guess, or they see him as a veteran top-9 forward with skill, can kill penalties and can put 15+ goals.

I think Pouliot is part of the problem, but around the league, how these guys are "viewed" always seems to be a lot different. It's why guys like Roman Polak get a contract or why a 32 year old David Backes gets $30M over 5 years.

If he were on waivers someone would claim him and you can trade him, he just has minimal value.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yeah, fair enough.

Pouliot has had his time in the pressbox. I'd be shopping him at the moment for sure. I feel more comfortable with Slepyshev in the lineup.

Eberle needs a good talking to from the coaches. Maybe he needs to work on conditioning, I don't know. He needs to be told that floating for points is unacceptable as a top 6 forward and an assistant captain. A healthy scratch might just send the right message. I don't think he has any attitude issues, I think he's just used to losing going back to his days in Regina.

Eberle had a couple of terrible plays last night for sure. In particular he watched as his D pinched and instead of hustling to cover at the blueline he coasted and it led directly to an odd-man rush. (this from memory). RNH did the EXACT same thing on MacKinnon's goal the game before... it happens.

But in general, I've seen Eberle back checking way more than is normal (for him). He even broke up sure goal last night with his stick at the edge of the crease.

If you could find a way to get him to keep his feet moving all the time he'd be a fantastic two-way player. He has the smarts... I just don't think he realizes how much every little coast costs you on D. When you coast your teammates don't know if you are engaged in D or not... it causes confusion and then people can't make the right decisions to cover for their teammates.

He needs to keep moving his feet and *mostly* he's been doing that this year, so... baby steps.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

McIlrath isn't Rangers property anymore so I'm not sure why you'd bring them up. The team he does play for now (Florida) has over 10 million in cap space, so they could take on Pouliot's contract. Personally I feel that would be a terrible return for Pouliot.

He's going through a tough stretch but this is a player who has put up 1st line offense at even strength since he joined the Oilers. You don't just throw away a player like that. That's what loser teams do.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
McIlrath isn't Rangers property anymore so I'm not sure why you'd bring them up. The team he does play for now (Florida) has over 10 million in cap space, so they could take on Pouliot's contract. Personally I feel that would be a terrible return for Pouliot.

He's going through a tough stretch but this is a player who has put up 1st line offense at even strength since he joined the Oilers. You don't just throw away a player like that. That's what loser teams do.

I strongly disagree with you. Pouliot is part of the problem. He gets a couple games in the PB and he comes back, Friday, and plays like he's pouting, like he's upset the team doesn't see the value in him.

He should be part of this team going forward, striving for success, instead he's clearly not engaged and playing very poorly. He looks disinterested. He needs to be move, get that out of the locker room.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
There are posters who want Pouliot, Eberle and Nuge gone. Regardless of where we are in the standings

They just dropped 2 in a row to the worst team in the league, they will go under .500 for November and look like they are trying to show everyone that October was the exception not the rule for this team.

There should be concern and change should be seriously looked at.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I strongly disagree with you. Pouliot is part of the problem. He gets a couple games in the PB and he comes back, Friday, and plays like he's pouting, like he's upset the team doesn't see the value in him.

He should be part of this team going forward, striving for success, instead he's clearly not engaged and playing very poorly. He looks disinterested. He needs to be move, get that out of the locker room.

How was he pouting? He certainly wasn't a world beater on the weekend but he drew a penalty and made a few plays offensively and on the PK. Something is not right with his game right now, yes, but having a knee-jerk reaction and dealing him for a player who might not ever help your NHL team would be asinine. Pouliot can be a major contributor when he's on his game.

Points per 60 minutes played at 5 vs 5 since he joined the Oilers= 1.85. 70th best production amongst all NHL forwards in that time span, which includes his dreadful start this year by the way. Here's some forwards below Pouliot's level of offensive production 5vs5- Larkin, Voracek, Kessel, Landeskog, Bergeron, MacKinnon, Lucic, Neal, Toews, RNH.

And you want to throw that away for no return because of a month of porous play? That would be beyond stupid. I'm not saying I wouldn't trade Pouliot either, but it would have to actually be a deal that gives the Oilers something tangible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad