Rumor: Rumours and Proposals: Part 9 - BOO--Urns Stays with Sharks 8y8M

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That wasn't a valid rebuttal ten games into the season and is even less of one at the quarter mark. A good portion of RNH's value is tied up in his ability to produce points. That's a fundamental task of a player being paid first-line money.

To frame this another way, let me ask a simple question: if RNH doesn't score another point this year, would you consider his contract a) even value b) overpayment c) underpayment?

Again, this wasn't true last month and is not today. He's 45th among forwards in GA/60, with centers like Victor Rask (23, $4M/per) JG Pageau (24, $900K) Eric Staal ($3.5M), Artem Anisimov ($4.55M) and Matt Stajan ($3.125M) all either younger, cheaper and/or as effective offensively this season. All of those players also top him in on-ice Sv%, Sv% RelTM and CF60. To put it simply, he's not performing like either a shutdown center or a scoring center. He's simply middle-of-the-road, and that's not acceptable at his current salary.

Once more, not true. His performance today affects his value today- and, thus, tomorrow. Chia will not be able to trade him for less or even equal salary if he continues to be a sub-40 point player. RNH's performance may impress you, but it's not something likely to wow an NHL GM- not when the salary cap was a concern even when it came to Taylor Hall's contract, as Ray Shero indicated it was following the Larsson trade. You're living in a fantasy world if you believe his intangible contributions- whatever they happen to be, as no numbers are able to shine a light on what, exactly, they are- translate into portability as an asset.

He's no longer the first or even second option for PP time, is the first or second draw for opposing top lines, and has seen his shooting percentage go into the toilet. How is that a recipe for offensive success?

To the bolded, if anything his low shooting % is an indication that things will pick up. He's not going to be shooting at 6% under his career average forever. A big part of his lack of production has been his line mates. Pouliot has been completely ineffective, and his right wing has consisted of Puljujarvi when he was playing quite poorly, Slepyshev when he was playing quite poorly, Kassian who is not a top 6er, and Eberle who has struggled immensely this year at hitting the net. If you've watched the last 4 games with Maroon-Nuge-Eberle as a line and don't think that line is on the verge of exploding then I don't know what to tell you. Nuge finally has line mates who are actually creating scoring chances this year. Once the 3 of them get a little puck luck and snap out of their funk (in Eberle and Nuge's case) I don't think its any stretch to think that Nuge could put up 35-40 points in the final 60 games.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That wasn't a valid rebuttal ten games into the season and is even less of one at the quarter mark. A good portion of RNH's value is tied up in his ability to produce points. That's a fundamental task of a player being paid first-line money.

To frame this another way, let me ask a simple question: if RNH doesn't score another point this year, would you consider his contract a) even value b) overpayment c) underpayment?

Again, this wasn't true last month and is not today. He's 45th among forwards in GA/60, with centers like Victor Rask (23, $4M/per) JG Pageau (24, $900K) Eric Staal ($3.5M), Artem Anisimov ($4.55M) and Matt Stajan ($3.125M) all either younger, cheaper and/or as effective offensively this season. All of those players also top him in on-ice Sv%, Sv% RelTM and CF60. To put it simply, he's not performing like either a shutdown center or a scoring center. He's simply middle-of-the-road, and that's not acceptable at his current salary.

None of these guys face competition even close to what RNH has through this season, which severely discredits those stats. Context is extremely important when you're talking about Corsi and the like.

And outside of maybe Artem Anisimov, if you replace him with any of these players it is a significantly noticeable downgrade and the team suffers because of it. And not just because of what shows up on the stat sheet.

I agree the production is an issue, which is likely going to stabilize itself if he continues to play with Jordan Eberle, but your argument lies solely in his point production, which is tunnel-visioned.

Once more, not true. His performance today affects his value today- and, thus, tomorrow. Chia will not be able to trade him for less or even equal salary if he continues to be a sub-40 point player. RNH's performance may impress you, but it's not something likely to wow an NHL GM- not when the salary cap was a concern even when it came to Taylor Hall's contract, as Ray Shero indicated it was following the Larsson trade. You're living in a fantasy world if you believe his intangible contributions- whatever they happen to be, as no numbers are able to shine a light on what, exactly, they are- translate into portability as an asset.

He's no longer the first or even second option for PP time, is the first or second draw for opposing top lines, and has seen his shooting percentage go into the toilet. How is that a recipe for offensive success?

So you're essentially saying Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is bordering on salary dump?

One of our HFOil's more articulate posters posted this the other day. Perhaps you have an opposing opinion.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=124804563&postcount=481

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I have yet to hear anyone complain about the face-off percentages of any of the top 7 highest point producing centers on the season:

McDavid 22 GP 28 Pts 42.8% FOW%
Scheifele 23 GP 23 Pts 43.2% FOW%
Galchenyuk 22 GP 22 Pts 39.2% FOW%
Seguin 22 GP 21 Pts 51.8% FOW%
Malkin 22 GP 21 Pts 44.9% FOW%
Sidney Crosby 16 GP 20 Pts 47.2% FOW%
Artem Anisimov 22 GP 20 Pts 42.1% FOW%

RNH has a 46.1% FOW%

People have this mindset where you get a bunch of points any other issues in your game are forgiven. Then if you don't get points to a high extent it's either all about the defensive game or being big and hitting things, but most people don't really understand what good defense is so they look for faceoff winning percentage cause that's what people on TV praise good defensive centers for when there is far more to it then that.

Regardless of what the points say when you look at the player as the sum of his parts, RNH is presently the 2nd best forward on our team.

The FO% argument is far overblown as your post suggests. But for those who care Nuge's ES FW% is actually up a fair bit this year. He is at 48.1% compared with his 44.5% total going back to 2014-2015. One reason the overall total has not improved as much is that he is now taking more SH draws and fewer PP draws. Given the man power advantage it is typical that a player's PP% will exceed his SH%. In fact for Nuge it has been the SH% that has weighed him down somewhat. And this is really the main area where his FO% has an impact. But his SH% has typically been much higher than it is this year so sample size may be the issue.

Of course the bottom line is still that FO% is a nearly meaningless stat for about 95% of the players in the NHL. Aside from a small handful of the very best the difference of 40-50 spots in the rankings can mean very little. If Nuge's ES FO% was 53% instead of 48.1% statistically over the course of the season that would mean a difference of somewhere around two goals.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Do you know who Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl are? There are your expensive players. Add in at least one more bridge and one more heavy salary on D in the form of a puck-mover, and you suddenly have no room for the $6 million man.
In his first three years Nugent-Hopkins had 132 points in 182 games. If Draisaitl plays 82 games this year he will have played 191 NHL games and he would need to put up 56 points in his last 60 games this year to match Nuge's production up to the end of his ECL.

This year Draisaitl has exactly 1 more ES point than Nuge despite having easier opposition to play against and far less defensive responsibility. So I am curious why people think that he will deserve so much more than a guy like Nuge. Would it surprise me to see him get $6M on a long term deal. No. But I don't see a case for more.

Right now the Oilers cap structure looks very good going forward. The key really is the long term deals for Klefbom and Larsson,. Having your top pairing make a little over $8M is absolutely huge. Add in the fact that it looks like they will be able to replace guys like Hendricks and Letestu internally with cheap players and they have a lot of flexibility. If they need to shed a contract up front the primary candidate would be Pouliot.

If you exclude the one year where we had a major financial crisis the NHL's organic growth rate has exceeded 5% each year. The dollar has more or less stabilized so assuming a roughly 5% growth rate the cap in 2018-2019 would be about $81M. (This may be conservative since you will have had two new arenas come online during that period which together could easily bump up the cap by $1-1.5M annually). Here is a possible roster based on what they have now.

Maroon (3.8M) McDavid (10M) Puljujarvi (.925M)
Lucic (6M) Nuge (6M) Eberle (6M)
Caggiula (1.75M) Draisaitl (6M) Pitlick (1.3M)
Slepyshev (1M) Khaira (.95M) Kassian (1.5M)
Lander (1M) Pakarinen (.9M)

Kelfbom (4.167M) Larsson (4.167M)
Sekera (5.5M) Russell (4.2M)
Nurse (3.8M) Davidson (2.25M)
Benning (1.25M)

Talbot (4.167M)
Brossoit (.9M)

Total = $77.425M
Space=$3.675M

You have the space to upgrade the defense.
Lesser pieces like draft picks? Perhaps. But there are centers who are paid less that are out-performing him defensively, and even offensively.

Also, it's worth noting the more ice-time RNH gets, the worse Edmonton does; of the eight games he has played 18+ minutes in this year, the team is 3-5.

This last stat is simply bad use of numbers. Typically when a team is behind or playing badly they shorten the bench. Nuge also tends to play more when the opposition is very strong because he is the guy the coach trusts most on the ice against top players.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I have yet to hear anyone complain about the face-off percentages of any of the top 7 highest point producing centers on the season:

McDavid 22 GP 28 Pts 42.8% FOW%
Scheifele 23 GP 23 Pts 43.2% FOW%
Galchenyuk 22 GP 22 Pts 39.2% FOW%
Seguin 22 GP 21 Pts 51.8% FOW%
Malkin 22 GP 21 Pts 44.9% FOW%
Sidney Crosby 16 GP 20 Pts 47.2% FOW%
Artem Anisimov 22 GP 20 Pts 42.1% FOW%

RNH has a 46.1% FOW%

People have this mindset where you get a bunch of points any other issues in your game are forgiven. Then if you don't get points to a high extent it's either all about the defensive game or being big and hitting things, but most people don't really understand what good defense is so they look for faceoff winning percentage cause that's what people on TV praise good defensive centers for when there is far more to it then that.

Regardless of what the points say when you look at the player as the sum of his parts, RNH is presently the 2nd best forward on our team.

The difference between 42.8% and 50% face off percentage is like 1-2 extra face off wins per game....such an overrated stat.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The difference between 42.8% and 50% face off percentage is like 1-2 extra face off wins per game....such an overrated stat.

Imagine all 4 of your centers win 1-2 more faceoffs a game? Gaining possession on average 6 more times a game wouldn't be over-rated at all.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Also, it's worth noting the more ice-time RNH gets, the worse Edmonton does; of the eight games he has played 18+ minutes in this year, the team is 3-5.

So going off the Oilers site RNH had 3 points in those 8 games, was -2 and averaged 3.375 shots per game. My recollection is RNH was playing great and Draisaitl and McDavid weren't producing as much during the losing streak which is why RNH was playing more. So i looked at the stats. McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH each had 2 points in those 5 losses. RNH wasn't producing any worse in those games and in some cases was a main reason they were still in those games. As an example, if RNH isn't playing awesome do they even have a chance to lose it late like they did in New York against the Rangers?

I'm not saying they have cap space for all 3 centre's past next year but using a stat of what a team's record is when a player gets a certain ice time can be very misleading when not used in context.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

You just made my point for me. He's shooting at an unsustainably bad percentage. If/when he gets it back to normal, look out, especially since he seems to miss the net a lot less than the other highly paid guys (Ebs and Looch).

Edit: Also, what does that first point have to do with anything? The argument of a player not scoring a single point the rest of the season is 1)illogical and 2)can be made for any player.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I don't understand this at all.

Well I'm of the opinion that in a cap league, his salary as well as everyone's salary is VERY important. At this point I don't think he's as good as Kadri or Stajan or a load of mid talented guys. He's a freaking first overall pick and is paid a ton. My point was that if they could get a rock solid asset and move him, then excellent. Keep him and in a couple years the Oil is giving him a raise or watching him walk. Until then, his salary - and Eberle's - is a boat anchor slowing them down, limiting extensions for McD and Drai and whomever, limiting other FA's being signed. Say what you want about him being "the second best forward", I don't like his game, and I don't like his compete level as it relates to his salary and draft position. He was BETTER as a rookie and his second year, got paid, and has regressed since then...

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Faceoffs are a weird stat to try to get any real info from for the center himself. Most faceoffs are team efforts. It would be nice if they tracked "clean wins" (or just wins where only the C's were involved in the faceoff) because if they did, there would be a chasm between guys like Nuge and guys like Bergeron, like multiple tens of percentage points. But, when you factor in the team wins/losses of faceoffs, you only get a difference of a handful of faceoffs per game.

That said, no team has a guy like Nuge taking key faceoffs. The reason faceoff stats have so much parity is because every team is doing their best to try to win key faceoffs. The best guys are out there and it's usually close to a 50/50 battle for the big faceoffs. If some new Eakins (like someone that decides that protecting the slot is not important because you can get better Corsi % by focusing on eliminating low quality shot attempts) came along and decided he doesn't care about faceoffs and start to give Nuge and McDavid all the faceoffs Letestu takes, then you would get to see how valuable faceoffs really are and Nuge and McDavid would probably drop into the 30's. But, I doubt we'll ever see a coach that dumb come along.

Last edited:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
People have this mindset where you get a bunch of points any other issues in your game are forgiven.

Better than scoring few points and still having issues in your game, i.e. RNH.

Then if you don't get points to a high extent it's either all about the defensive game or being big and hitting things, but most people don't really understand what good defense is so they look for faceoff winning percentage cause that's what people on TV praise good defensive centers for when there is far more to it then that.

RNH is neither bad nor great when it comes to his defensive acumen; faceoffs are just one part of the picture, but for being deployed in the role he is you'd hope he would be better at that particular facet of the game.

Let's pretend this is true; why, then, do you not have a problem with one of the team's highest-paid players and 2nd best forward being deployed as a shutdown center? Surely that's not the best use of either that money or his talent?

To the bolded, if anything his low shooting % is an indication that things will pick up. He's not going to be shooting at 6% under his career average forever.

You just made my point for me. He's shooting at an unsustainably bad percentage. If/when he gets it back to normal, look out, especially since he seems to miss the net a lot less than the other highly paid guys (Ebs and Looch).

Addressing these together, since they hit on the same point- even if you doubled his shooting percentage, he'd have a whopping three more goals/points. That's still a sub-50 point pace over 82 games, which RNH won't play anyway as he never has.

A big part of his lack of production has been his line mates. Pouliot has been completely ineffective, and his right wing has consisted of Puljujarvi when he was playing quite poorly, Slepyshev when he was playing quite poorly, Kassian who is not a top 6er, and Eberle who has struggled immensely this year at hitting the net

If RNH has to be carried around by his linemates at this stage of his career, we have much bigger problems than just his salary.

If you've watched the last 4 games with Maroon-Nuge-Eberle as a line and don't think that line is on the verge of exploding then I don't know what to tell you.

Exploding in the sense of one game and then disappearing for another 20, or sustained success?

Nuge finally has line mates who are actually creating scoring chances this year. Once the 3 of them get a little puck luck and snap out of their funk (in Eberle and Nuge's case) I don't think its any stretch to think that Nuge could put up 35-40 points in the final 60 games.

So you don't think it's a stretch RNH reaches less than his career high, and a number just above his career low over 50+ games... oi.

None of these guys face competition even close to what RNH has through this season, which severely discredits those stats. Context is extremely important when you're talking about Corsi and the like.

Err, Staal, Anisimov and Stajan all have higher CF%RelTM than RNH. Hell, by that metric, Nic Dowd is also an equally effective player- same points, same CF%RelTM- at literally a tenth the price.

And outside of maybe Artem Anisimov, if you replace him with any of these players it is a significantly noticeable downgrade and the team suffers because of it. And not just because of what shows up on the stat sheet.

You keep talking about these magical things RNH does that happen off the stat sheet, but no level of advanced analytics can highlight what, exactly, they are. If you can't quantify it, it's pretty hard to argue it exists.

I agree the production is an issue, which is likely going to stabilize itself if he continues to play with Jordan Eberle, but your argument lies solely in his point production, which is tunnel-visioned.

What part of my continued analysis of his performance on BOTH sides of the puck would tell you I'm obsessed only with his offense? Maybe you keep missing it, but here is it again: my problem with him is not that he's disappeared offensively; it's that he's done so while also not being anywhere close to elite defensively. If that's now his bread and butter, he needs to actually deliver. He's not.

So you're essentially saying Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is bordering on salary dump?

If his name was John Smith and he had back-to-back < 40 point seasons making $6M playing in a market like Florida or Phoenix, what would you consider him to be?

One of our HFOil's more articulate posters posted this the other day. Perhaps you have an opposing opinion.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=124804563&postcount=481

One can be articulate as all hell and still be incorrect. If we've stooped to the point that we're trying to hold RNH up against Couturier- a player who makes nowhere close to $6M as a power matchup center, just saying- and only just coming out even if not out-right losing in that comparison, we're in a worse place than I thought.

When considering pay, age, production, etc. etc. 10/10 times I would take Couturier as a defensive/top line matchup center over RNH.

In his first three years Nugent-Hopkins had 132 points in 182 games. If Draisaitl plays 82 games this year he will have played 191 NHL games and he would need to put up 56 points in his last 60 games this year to match Nuge's production up to the end of his ECL.

And that's not exactly out of the question for Draisaitl. He's shown himself to be a streaky offensive player before, and I'd argue even with his respectable start we've still not seen the best of him. However...

This year Draisaitl has exactly 1 more ES point than Nuge despite having easier opposition to play against and far less defensive responsibility. So I am curious why people think that he will deserve so much more than a guy like Nuge. Would it surprise me to see him get $6M on a long term deal. No. But I don't see a case for more.

You have to remember that the cap was $64M when RNH signed that seven-year extension. It's now $10M higher. Inflation alone will count for Draisaitl reaching $6M. After that? It's a matter of what he does the rest of this year. Should he go off and maintain a near-PPG pace you can bet he's going to be a tough sign.

Right now the Oilers cap structure looks very good going forward. The key really is the long term deals for Klefbom and Larsson,. Having your top pairing make a little over $8M is absolutely huge.

But the top four isn't done. A puckmover/offensive catalyst on the back end is still very much a requirement, and they aren't cheap- either in assets or real dollars. Look at what Burns just fetched.

Add in the fact that it looks like they will be able to replace guys like Hendricks and Letestu internally with cheap players and they have a lot of flexibility. If they need to shed a contract up front the primary candidate would be Pouliot.

Any dollars we save in a Pouliot will be eaten up in raises to those cheap (for now) internal players you mention. Pitlick won't make $725K forever- and, in fact, he's an RFA next summer.

Here is a possible roster based on what they have now.

Maroon (3.8M) McDavid (10M) Puljujarvi (.925M)
Lucic (6M) Nuge (6M) Eberle (6M)
Caggiula (1.75M) Draisaitl (6M) Pitlick (1.3M)
Slepyshev (1M) Khaira (.95M) Kassian (1.5M)
Lander (1M) Pakarinen (.9M)

Kelfbom (4.167M) Larsson (4.167M)
Sekera (5.5M) Russell (4.2M)
Nurse (3.8M) Davidson (2.25M)
Benning (1.25M)

Talbot (4.167M)
Brossoit (.9M)

Total = $77.425M
Space=$3.675M

You have the space to upgrade the defense.

For starters, I'm not sure why you think McDavid will be an easy sign at $10M. If he wins the Art Ross this year, which looks increasingly likely, that may very well be his low end.

In addition, that team still doesn't have a puckmover- and still has one whole right-handed shot on the back end.

So, let's say you spend the $3M to upgrade on Russell... well, you're not done. Being that this is the 2018-19 season, you then need money at year-end to:

-Extend Puljujarvi
-Extend Eberle (or sign a replacement, who will cost more than $6M in an $81M cap world)
-Extend Talbot

And no, another $3M boost in the cap would not do it.

You have also made some generous approximations about the bottom six in assuming that all of Caggiula, Slepyshev, Pitlick, Khaira, Pakarinen and Lander are or remain NHL players, but do so just adequately enough that none of them break $2M in salary. There's a reason even fourth line guys like Hendricks get, for example, $1.85M; cheaper options are rarely worth the few dollars saved, even in such a limited role.

At the end of the day, that no other team rolls with three $6M centers should tell you something. It's not done because it's a daft idea, and cripples a club's cap position.

This last stat is simply bad use of numbers. Typically when a team is behind or playing badly they shorten the bench. Nuge also tends to play more when the opposition is very strong because he is the guy the coach trusts most on the ice against top players.

And yet the team loses when he's leaned on more. That's kind of my point.

So going off the Oilers site RNH had 3 points in those 8 games, was -2 and averaged 3.375 shots per game. My recollection is RNH was playing great and Draisaitl and McDavid weren't producing as much during the losing streak which is why RNH was playing more. So i looked at the stats. McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH each had 2 points in those 5 losses. RNH wasn't producing any worse in those games and in some cases was a main reason they were still in those games.

RNH should be producing more than the guys he's playing more than, don't you think? If he's not, that's absolutely another red flag.

As an example, if RNH isn't playing awesome do they even have a chance to lose it late like they did in New York against the Rangers?

Again, if our best argument in favor of RNH is "Well we needed him to lose that game close", I'm not seeing the advantage here.

I'm not saying they have cap space for all 3 centre's past next year but using a stat of what a team's record is when a player gets a certain ice time can be very misleading when not used in context.

It is what it is- there's no context or explaining needed. The team seems to do worse when he plays more, which is not something you want (or expect) from this seemingly beastly two-way center.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Err, Staal, Anisimov and Stajan all have higher CF%RelTM than RNH. Hell, by that metric, Nic Dowd is also an equally effective player- same points, same CF%RelTM- at literally a tenth the price.

TM stands for teammates. Corsi relative to teammates. This has absolutely nothing to do with quality of competition. Nic Dowd does not play the same players Ryan Nugent-Hopkins does and he probably never will.

Jun 9, 2011
Here's hoping rnh wins someone a millions bucks with 5 goals.
What the hell. Does anyone remember when we had NO centres?
And what's this talk about bringing in Iginla. That is purely a nostalgic move. Don't need to do that.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If the nucks trade Virtanen and pick for Kane I will hurt myself laughing

Laughing at who?

Kane seems to be a bit of a headcase, but when he's playing well he has far more upside than Virtanen will have in this league.

I suppose you could laugh at the Canucks for picking Virtanen in the first place.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Laughing at who?

Kane seems to be a bit of a headcase, but when he's playing well he has far more upside than Virtanen will have in this league.

I suppose you could laugh at the Canucks for picking Virtanen in the first place.

It's really a question as to whether Kane ever will play well again. His off-ice issues and overall attitude seem to have me leaning towards 'no'.

Virtanen isn't a world beater either though, so I agree.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

Right now the Oilers cap structure looks very good going forward. The key really is the long term deals for Klefbom and Larsson,. Having your top pairing make a little over $8M is absolutely huge. Add in the fact that it looks like they will be able to replace guys like Hendricks and Letestu internally with cheap players and they have a lot of flexibility. If they need to shed a contract up front the primary candidate would be Pouliot.

If you exclude the one year where we had a major financial crisis the NHL's organic growth rate has exceeded 5% each year. The dollar has more or less stabilized so assuming a roughly 5% growth rate the cap in 2018-2019 would be about $81M. (This may be conservative since you will have had two new arenas come online during that period which together could easily bump up the cap by $1-1.5M annually). Here is a possible roster based on what they have now.

NOT BAD AT ALL for a kid left to rot on the 4th line for 50 games.

Drai obviously is far superior. I dont remember Nuge having to fight in the roster for a top line spot EVER.

Great argurment to show how much Drais is contributing despite basically being in his second year of proper coaching and usage.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

RNH is neither bad nor great when it comes to his defensive acumen; faceoffs are just one part of the picture, but for being deployed in the role he is you'd hope he would be better at that particular facet of the game.

RNH's issues are overblown by people who look for flash over substance (big hits and slick dekes over proper defensive positioning, closing off passing lanes, or a nice poke check) or over-emphasize a particular stat like faceoffs which is significantly less important then they think it is in the grand scheme of things.

I would categorize RNH's defensive acumen as very good and trending upwards, but still a ways off of the elite two-way guys and having watched the NHL for a reasonably long period of time, I know that players of RNH's type generally take longer to develop and it's generally a slow gradual build. Visually I see RNH's defensive game and attention to detail as continually getting better bit by bit, I see junior elements of his game which add unnecessary risk just for the sake of offense as being nearly completely gone, and his shot metrics aside from his prior injury plagued season have seen year over year improvement, which in almost every case tends to lend itself to improved offensive production and possession metrics over the long haul with a little patience.

EdmontonExpress said:
Let's pretend this is true; why, then, do you not have a problem with one of the team's highest-paid players and 2nd best forward being deployed as a shutdown center? Surely that's not the best use of either that money or his talent?
Shutdown center is not a dirty word to me like it appears to be for you. I highly value a quality shutdown center, preventing the other team from scoring is every bit as valuable as scoring yourself, it's all about the differential at the end of the game, you just have to have more goals than the other guy, if he can square off against the other teams top line and hold them to even and let McDavid tapdance on the face of the other teams 2nd best line, we will be all the better for it. Like Jacques Lemaire used to call Wes Walz his "50 goal scorer", score 15 goals and prevent 35 goals and despite his snooze inducing style his teams employed, he had a lot of success with talent deprived squads through prioritizing and aggrandizing those defensive core players that a large segment of HFOil collectively turns their snouts up at. I do believe shutdown center is generally one of those places where you can generally speaking save money at, where those players value to team generally outstrips their proportional cap-hit, but it seems to increasingly be less and less the case, as strong defensive play is more rewarded financially than was previously the case, ultimately if we are cost cutting (which we totally don't have to do right now), there are other places I'd look first (Fayne, Pouliot, Eberle, & Lucic). I would characterize Patrice Bergeron and ROR as the best two players on their respective teams largely for their shutdown capacities, and I'd consider Kopitar to be the 2nd best player on his team and Toews the 3rd best player on his team and consider them all to be highly valuable and all are very well compensated. RNH doesn't belong with that tier, but in that 2nd tier with players like Stepan, Zajac, Plekanec, Dubinsky, Brassard, J. Staal. & Nielsen, though RNH I'd consider to be pretty much the cream of the crop in that 2nd grouping.

EdmontonExpress said:
If RNH has to be carried around by his linemates at this stage of his career, we have much bigger problems than just his salary.
RNH definitely is not an offensive driver and I do believe his results would be better when paired with one, so long as that player was atleast slightly above average in the defensive aspects of the game in addition to being able to drive offensive sorties. Two-way centers often will have a driver on their line e.g. Marchand for Bergeron. Though in the context of him being a $6M guy I will concede that I would like him to be a bit more offensively capable when going in by himself or when paired with second rate talents.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
You overrate the crap out of nuges defensive game. He's not in the same tier as Zajac and Staal defensively. Certainly not the cream of the crop of that group. You'd have to be a massive homer to suggest that.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Bergeron was putting up points long before Marchand was on his line, I'd say Bergeron is the driver and about 100x the player nuge is

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Addressing these together, since they hit on the same point- even if you doubled his shooting percentage, he'd have a whopping three more goals/points. That's still a sub-50 point pace over 82 games, which RNH won't play anyway as he never has.
Exploding in the sense of one game and then disappearing for another 20, or sustained success?
So you don't think it's a stretch RNH reaches less than his career high, and a number just above his career low over 50+ games... oi.
You keep talking about these magical things RNH does that happen off the stat sheet, but no level of advanced analytics can highlight what, exactly, they are. If you can't quantify it, it's pretty hard to argue it exists.
What part of my continued analysis of his performance on BOTH sides of the puck would tell you I'm obsessed only with his offense? Maybe you keep missing it, but here is it again: my problem with him is not that he's disappeared offensively; it's that he's done so while also not being anywhere close to elite defensively. If that's now his bread and butter, he needs to actually deliver. He's not.
If his name was John Smith and he had back-to-back < 40 point seasons making $6M playing in a market like Florida or Phoenix, what would you consider him to be?
One can be articulate as all hell and still be incorrect. If we've stooped to the point that we're trying to hold RNH up against Couturier- a player who makes nowhere close to $6M as a power matchup center, just saying- and only just coming out even if not out-right losing in that comparison, we're in a worse place than I thought.
When considering pay, age, production, etc. etc. 10/10 times I would take Couturier as a defensive/top line matchup center over RNH.
And that's not exactly out of the question for Draisaitl. He's shown himself to be a streaky offensive player before, and I'd argue even with his respectable start we've still not seen the best of him. However...
You have to remember that the cap was $64M when RNH signed that seven-year extension. It's now $10M higher. Inflation alone will count for Draisaitl reaching $6M. After that? It's a matter of what he does the rest of this year. Should he go off and maintain a near-PPG pace you can bet he's going to be a tough sign.
But the top four isn't done. A puckmover/offensive catalyst on the back end is still very much a requirement, and they aren't cheap- either in assets or real dollars. Look at what Burns just fetched.
Any dollars we save in a Pouliot will be eaten up in raises to those cheap (for now) internal players you mention. Pitlick won't make $725K forever- and, in fact, he's an RFA next summer.
For starters, I'm not sure why you think McDavid will be an easy sign at $10M. If he wins the Art Ross this year, which looks increasingly likely, that may very well be his low end.
In addition, that team still doesn't have a puckmover- and still has one whole right-handed shot on the back end.
So, let's say you spend the $3M to upgrade on Russell... well, you're not done. Being that this is the 2018-19 season, you then need money at year-end to:
-Extend Puljujarvi
-Extend Eberle (or sign a replacement, who will cost more than $6M in an $81M cap world)
-Extend Talbot
And no, another $3M boost in the cap would not do it.
You have also made some generous approximations about the bottom six in assuming that all of Caggiula, Slepyshev, Pitlick, Khaira, Pakarinen and Lander are or remain NHL players, but do so just adequately enough that none of them break $2M in salary. There's a reason even fourth line guys like Hendricks get, for example, $1.85M; cheaper options are rarely worth the few dollars saved, even in such a limited role.
At the end of the day, that no other team rolls with three $6M centers should tell you something. It's not done because it's a daft idea, and cripples a club's cap position.
And yet the team loses when he's leaned on more. That's kind of my point.
RNH should be producing more than the guys he's playing more than, don't you think? If he's not, that's absolutely another red flag.
Again, if our best argument in favor of RNH is "Well we needed him to lose that game close", I'm not seeing the advantage here.
It is what it is- there's no context or explaining needed. The team seems to do worse when he plays more, which is not something you want (or expect) from this seemingly beastly two-way center.

Still think we should put one of RNH or Draisaitl on the wing.
I also see Tyler Benson being a cheap yet effective option on his ELC by that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad