Rumor: Rumours and Proposals: Part 9 - BOO--Urns Stays with Sharks 8y8M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I have to say I like the idea of going after Green from the Redwings, for a 1st or a player.

But on the downside that might put the brakes on any ambitions of going for Burns. That might be a pipe dream though. Hard to say. I would like us to go for the playoffs ASAP, and Green would help with that. If we missed the playoffs because we just NEEDED Burns, and then he doesn't even come here (which is most likely just by odds), then that's an epic fail.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I have to say I like the idea of going after Green from the Redwings, for a 1st or a player.

But on the downside that might put the brakes on any ambitions of going for Burns. That might be a pipe dream though. Hard to say. I would like us to go for the playoffs ASAP, and Green would help with that. If we missed the playoffs because we just NEEDED Burns, and then he doesn't even come here (which is most likely just by odds), then that's an epic fail.

Green for Fayne+ 1st

I dont think banking on Burns would be a smart idea.. there is less than 50% chance he hits the free agency and less than 10% chance afterwards that he picks Edmonton. (assuming more than 10 teams will be interested in his services)

Green also has only 1 year @ 6M left after this season so in theory we could keep Green AND go after Burns without making it hurt the McDavid resigning.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Trouba getting signed just increases chance of trade. If he gets to Dec 1 deadline he cant play so hes likely not getting dealt. Plus a bridge deal opens flexibility to deal him wherever

They can move him to a desperate team not in his preferred US area for a boat load and pass of buck (hell probably do same thing in 2 years) or can deal him to his US location

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Green for Fayne+ 1st

I dont think banking on Burns would be a smart idea.. there is less than 50% chance he hits the free agency and less than 10% chance afterwards that he picks Edmonton. (assuming more than 10 teams will be interested in his services)

Green also has only 1 year @ 6M left after this season so in theory we could keep Green AND go after Burns without making it hurt the McDavid resigning.

If Burns hits UFA, which I also believe is unlikely, I would think the Oilers would be a serious contender. They are obviously moving in a direction that is getting notice and Burns knows McLellan. The Oilers can also offer him both money and term as well as the right role for him given his skill set. Having Klefbom, Larson and Sekera signed for just under $14M is a huge plus. They could give him a front loaded deal and have a very good top 4 at a little over $20M. That is a bargain in today's NHL.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I doubt Trouba even steps foot on the ice for the Jets.

You might be right, and the reason he signed so cheap is because the team acquiring him might have limited cap space but will have money available in 2 years.

Maybe the Islanders make sense with Hamonic and Pulock injured. De Haan and a 1st?

Namtsua

Apr 4, 2011
BC
With Nashville's slow start, could they be open to trade someone like Ellis?

He would instantly be our PP guy :D

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
With Nashville slow start, could they be open to trade someone like Ellis?

He would instantly be our PP guy :D

Man what the hell is up with Nashville. They are pure garbage and they arent exactly losing to great teams.

Id love to poach Ellis from them. Imagine Ellis + cap dump for Eberle

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Instead of Hanzal why don't the Oilers make a play for the other 6' 6" 220 pound center that actually shoots right, is 5 years younger, less injury prone, and signed long term? I'm talking 'bout "thick" Nick Bjugstad. Any chance the Panthers would move him?

Eberle for Bjugstad

Also, could the RNH+ for Faulk rumour become re-activated with the Canes rough start?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Instead of Hanzal why don't the Oilers make a play for the other 6' 6" 220 pound center that actually shoots right, is 5 years younger, less injury prone, and signed long term? I'm talking 'bout "thick" Nick Bjugstad. Any chance the Panthers would move him?

Eberle for Bjugstad

Also, could the RNH+ for Faulk rumour become re-activated with the Canes rough start?

This has me salivating. It also frees up 2M of cap space to sign a guy like Burns

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If we had a shot on the PP we can sustain this record.. That's the missing piece IMO.

Also need to stay healthy.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Eberle for Bjugstad

that rumour came from us and ourside

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I don't think Florida would do that trade, although I would love it.

RNH for Bjugstad and Petrovic might work then. Wasn't it reported at the draft in 2011 that Tallon was hot for RNH? Regardless, I think they are probably very happy with the mix of Barkov, Trochek, and Bjugstad at center.

Maybe the Avs (Barrie) might get antsy and do something stupid.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
You'd be hard pressed to find a better fit for our needs than Burns. You'd have an equally hard time finding a better situation for a player like Burns in FA than the Oilers.

The problem is, all of the things we can offer Burns as a free agent (dollars, term, role, competitiveness), he can also get from the Sharks. And the Sharks have the added benefit of being his home for the past 6 years and also being in California.

If he did decide to move on, I'd have to think our chances of getting him would be good (how about that...3 years in a row where arguably the top UFA on the market chooses us).

Cap wouldn't be a problem either. With Burns coming on board, Russel would be less likely to return, meaning $3.1M of Burns' salary would be covered. You'd also have to think that either via buyout, trade, or expansion claim (in descending order of likeliness), Fayne would be gone as well. That's $6.725M of cap space cleared up to give directly to Burns. That would make him the team's highest paid player and comparable to the deal Seabrook got, and only about $1M less than Byfuglien's.

I'm guessing Pouliot is the guy we lose to expansion. Between him and Hendricks, we've got $5.8M to give new contracts to Draisaitl, Lander, Pitlick, and Kassian (or their replacements). That's also not including the existing cap room we already have.

Of course, it still leaves us looking for an extra $5M or so to re-up McDavid the following year. Does the cap go up $5M over the next 2 years? Worry about that 2 years from now, I say.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Cheveldayoff calls Trouba rumors a farce, says Trouba never disliked playing in WPG or Canada, and also hopes he plays soon.

Looking like Trouba stays. Still makes no sense...why the holdout?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Cheveldayoff calls Trouba rumors a farce, says Trouba never disliked playing in WPG or Canada, and also hopes he plays soon.

Looking like Trouba stays. Still makes no sense...why the holdout?

Trouba has a Douchbag Agent. Chevy is probably just trying to smooth the waters here.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
they offered him one, he said no. So a bridge makes zero sense for WPG when he walks in 2 years.

My guess he is gonna be in a DET uni in 2 weeks

I don't see it. What LHD does Detroit have that gets the conversation started? Rangers or Isles are my best guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig