Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
he only has a limited nmc, no? at least before July 1?

No. His NMC was extended to cover this season when he signed his new contract. Don't know how that works. Never heard of it before. But apparently that's what was done.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Funny aside: I went back to look at the 1999 draft year to see if the Canucks would have been better off drafting at #1 and #4 and passing on the Sedins as a package. What a horrid first round!!! Oustide the Sedins, only 2 players made an allstar team, Boynton and Havlat. :eek:

The late 90's and early 2000's had some made drafts. They had some great talents but not much depth at all from most of them.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
No. His NMC was extended to cover this season when he signed his new contract. Don't know how that works. Never heard of it before. But apparently that's what was done.

The same thing happened with Buff when he signed his deal. It's fairly common.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wish you were more agreeable. :laugh: I think i'm just thinking about making our draft more interesting. We're down a first after all.

I think the left side of D is more interesting next year than the right. Kuli, Chiapet, Niku....who gets 4LHD? Do we move on someone external? If we trade Myers, Poolman steps in. It's nice we have another year on Nogier too. I think he has a strong year with the Moose.

Poolman is OK on the 3rd pair. Just OK though, and no higher than 3RD. Then there is no one after him, at least not yet.

What happens if Trouba goes through with arbitration? IMO that would be a clear signal that he intends to go straight to UFA as quickly as possible. I would start shopping him before the ink dried. I don't mean that I would take the first offer that comes along but I would put the word out that he is available and start looking for the right trading partner.

With Myers gone we could find ourselves with Buff, Kuli, Poolman on the right side. Sign Trouba long term and I am fine with trading Myers but Trouba has to come first, IMO.

Yes, draft day will be a good time to watch Beverly Hillbillies reruns all day if Chevy doesn't get us some picks. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't remember hearing of it with Buff. Or anybody else for that matter. Not saying it doesn't happen but it never seems to be talked about. As a general rule they are not allowed to change the existing contract, just replace it with a new one that can't start until the existing one expires. This is an exception to that but the legal mechanism isn't obvious.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I don't remember hearing of it with Buff. Or anybody else for that matter. Not saying it doesn't happen but it never seems to be talked about. As a general rule they are not allowed to change the existing contract, just replace it with a new one that can't start until the existing one expires. This is an exception to that but the legal mechanism isn't obvious.

the retro NMC when Brandon Sutter signed his extension with the Canucks after being traded for Nick Bonino was a pretty big story

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

It is commonly used now but of note is that it is relatively new addition to the CBA. It was added into the 2013 CBA by players request as many players were getting traded just before big "extensions" with NMC/NTC were getting traded. Lubomir Visnovsky, for example, was traded less than a week before a NMC for 5 years was to kick that sent him from what would go on to be over that span to be a cup contender in LA to a loser in Edmonton.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Little has a full NMC.

There is very little difference between Little and Stastny other than Stastny being a better fit with Ehlers and Laine. Small sample of a hot Stastny compared to a slumping Little. Oh, also Stastny is 2 years older so term is even riskier.

I'm not interested in swapping Little for Stastny. Not really. I want both.
*serves you another slice of cake*

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Poolman is OK on the 3rd pair. Just OK though, and no higher than 3RD. Then there is no one after him, at least not yet.

What happens if Trouba goes through with arbitration? IMO that would be a clear signal that he intends to go straight to UFA as quickly as possible. I would start shopping him before the ink dried. I don't mean that I would take the first offer that comes along but I would put the word out that he is available and start looking for the right trading partner.

With Myers gone we could find ourselves with Buff, Kuli, Poolman on the right side. Sign Trouba long term and I am fine with trading Myers but Trouba has to come first, IMO.

Yes, draft day will be a good time to watch Beverly Hillbillies reruns all day if Chevy doesn't get us some picks. :laugh:

I agree a lot depends on Trouba. I'd say he'll be here or in Florida next year. It is interesting with Tampa getting McDonough whether that cools their interest or whether they'll use him as a chip. But when I think about it, I don't want to give Myers his next contract, so we should trade him in the offseason either way.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
*serves you another slice of cake*

Thanks, I'll eat it while I have the rest. :laugh:

Seriously, that's the point. If we have to move Little to keep Stastny I don't see the gain. But I like this depth and strength down the middle.:)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Thanks, I'll eat it while I have the rest. :laugh:

Seriously, that's the point. If we have to move Little to keep Stastny I don't see the gain. But I like this depth and strength down the middle.:)

i guess you look at the whole picture, including the cap.
are Little and Stastny similar players?
if they are, do they yield similar results with the players that they are surrounded with? if yes, stay with Little. If no, chose one and move on from the other.
Jets used to be deep at centre. they're still pretty good, but the pipeline isn't that hot. Appleton? Petan?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It is commonly used now but of note is that it is relatively new addition to the CBA. It was added into the 2013 CBA by players request as many players were getting traded just before big "extensions" with NMC/NTC were getting traded. Lubomir Visnovsky, for example, was traded less than a week before a NMC for 5 years was to kick that sent him from what would go on to be over that span to be a cup contender in LA to a loser in Edmonton.

It is not allowed for an extension before a player would normally be eligible (7 years or age 27) though. So a player can still be traded just prior to one kicking in ALA PK Subban

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I still doubt it, unless Trouba signs long term before the draft. By the time Trouba's arb date comes up the trade market will have largely dried up. I think that trading Myers before Trouba is settled would be reckless. After that, there is another window a few weeks into the season. If he is not traded then, I don't see it happening.

I could see Chevy extending him as a more likely possibility. OTOH I think that if Trouba signs long term right after the season Myers would be gone pretty quickly. I certainly hope we would get better value for him than a handful of later picks though. If we can't get a mid to late 1st I would rather get a prospect of some kind. Alternatively, bundle him with some other assets to get something better.

I suspect you are just trying to move his cap hit and are willing to settle for a small return. I don't see the cap hit as being that important. It is only for the 1 year. We can carry it.
I think they keep Myers even if Trouba signs. He is a passable 4/5 defenseman and certainly is a really good 3rd pairing guy behind Trouba and Buff. IMO they use him as their own rental next season and try to re-sign him at an amount that fits into a really tight cap the following season. If he moves on they promote from within or go get a 3rd pairing RHD at what they can afford under the cap. The Jets have moved into their contention window and every season is an opportunity at the cup. IMO they ride that for all it is worth season by season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I still have an incredibly hard time fitting Myers in next year unless we can pawn Mason off on someone and then go with a cheap backup. I do agree that the Trouba situation will need to be resolved first, and we all know what his agents MO is.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I still have an incredibly hard time fitting Myers in next year unless we can pawn Mason off on someone and then go with a cheap backup. I do agree that the Trouba situation will need to be resolved first, and we all know what his agents MO is.
Yeah I think they will try really hard to move Mason. I also think the Jets will also look at some bridge deals for players other than Laine to keep the gang together over the next few years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I think they will try really hard to move Mason. I also think the Jets will also look at some bridge deals for players other than Laine to keep the gang together over the next few years.

They may look for bridge deals but really only one player applies in that regard next season in JoMo and even bridging him doesn't save you enough (5 mill on a long term vrs. 3 million on a bridge) I personally have no issue letting Myers go, he's mediocre for what he's paid but he's the type that GMs will pay a premium for. I would really like to capitalize on that value to restock the future a bit.

I would have liked to see Poolman play more games this season as I haven't seen enough to know how well he would be able to replace Myers. He started strong, then was very underwhelming for a while prior to having his best game in a long time the other night.

I guess Toby is the other wild card, if he leaves and Niku takes his place then we save 5 million there. I personally would rather keep Toby short term though, superior first pass and retrieval and is substantially better defensively.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They may look for bridge deals but really only one player applies in that regard next season in JoMo and even bridging him doesn't save you enough (5 mill on a long term vrs. 3 million on a bridge) I personally have no issue letting Myers go, he's mediocre for what he's paid but he's the type that GMs will pay a premium for. I would really like to capitalize on that value to restock the future a bit.

I would have liked to see Poolman play more games this season as I haven't seen enough to know how well he would be able to replace Myers. He started strong, then was very underwhelming for a while prior to having his best game in a long time the other night.

I guess Toby is the other wild card, if he leaves and Niku takes his place then we save 5 million there. I personally would rather keep Toby short term though, superior first pass and retrieval and is substantially better defensively.
If they can get JoMo at $5 M long term I think they do it, but I think he would cost at least $6 M. Also think a bridge comes in a little lower than $3 M but I could be wrong. I do think that Toby might be the guy moved out if they think Niku is ready to come in with his ELC to keep costs down.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If they can get JoMo at $5 M long term I think they do it, but I think he would cost at least $6 M. Also think a bridge comes in a little lower than $3 M but I could be wrong. I do think that Toby might be the guy moved out if they think Niku is ready to come in with his ELC to keep costs down.

I'm not sure how his camp could ask for that. All his comps are within 4.8 and 5.5 million per year. His point production hasn't been high enough to justify big dollars (Not his fault as Moe wont play him on the PP). I think he signs the Lindholm deal myself as that imo is his closest comparable.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not sure how his camp could ask for that. All his comps are within 4.8 and 5.5 million per year. His point production hasn't been high enough to justify big dollars (Not his fault as Moe wont play him on the PP). I think he signs the Lindholm deal myself as that imo is his closest comparable.
I hope you are right. I'm all for Chevy squeezing out every last cent he can. We have a chance to be a really special team over the next few years but it will need to be managed very carefully.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thank you. We should probably stop talking about resigning Stastny then. Unless we're trading Lowry.

Trading Lowry doesn't free up enough cap space. I think it would require at least 2 mid cost players. Something like Lowry and Perreault - just for example.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Funny aside: I went back to look at the 1999 draft year to see if the Canucks would have been better off drafting at #1 and #4 and passing on the Sedins as a package. What a horrid first round!!! Oustide the Sedins, only 2 players made an allstar team, Boynton and Havlat. :eek:

So ...... brilliant trade!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Close, I think. Maybe a little more to get 2 more years?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i guess you look at the whole picture, including the cap.
are Little and Stastny similar players?
if they are, do they yield similar results with the players that they are surrounded with? if yes, stay with Little. If no, chose one and move on from the other.
Jets used to be deep at centre. they're still pretty good, but the pipeline isn't that hot. Appleton? Petan?

I haven't given up hope for Roslo at C but I'm not counting on it either. After him it looks like Spacek. If the others can't play C in the A then they certainly aren't going to in the NHL. That's about it.

Jets are still not in bad shape though. We have Lowry and Copp in the bottom 6. I think both are very good in those roles and Fefe is still young.

We need a Little replacement in the system somewhere though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad