Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
not giving more than 20lbs of weight to fan buzz, I promise. that's not a lot by any measure.

OK, but what are you basing your assessment on then? You did mention 'buzz'.

When we had Hamonic requesting a trade and were discussing prices I thought Myers (maybe + small add) for Hamonic was the right value. Some people wanted to give them Trouba! :eek: That was before Hamonic's play fell off. Also before Myers rediscovered his offense.

Of course, Flames overpaid for him at the time so a 1st + two 2nds isn't necessarily the starting point for Myers. Also, it depends on whose 1st we are talking about. Myers is certainly not worth a top 10 pick.

I think this discussion is all academic anyway. I would not be willing to part with Myers until Trouba's status is settled. That isn't likely to happen until well after the draft.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
OK, but what are you basing your assessment on then? You did mention 'buzz'.

When we had Hamonic requesting a trade and were discussing prices I thought Myers (maybe + small add) for Hamonic was the right value. Some people wanted to give them Trouba! :eek: That was before Hamonic's play fell off. Also before Myers rediscovered his offense.

Of course, Flames overpaid for him at the time so a 1st + two 2nds isn't necessarily the starting point for Myers. Also, it depends on whose 1st we are talking about. Myers is certainly not worth a top 10 pick.

I think this discussion is all academic anyway. I would not be willing to part with Myers until Trouba's status is settled. That isn't likely to happen until well after the draft.

My assessment is based on what I see from their play and what I've seen over the years on their metrics. I think Hamonic was a better player when traded than Myers is now. I later offered media buzz as additional support: he seems more highly regarded than Myers. I think it's fairly straightforward. You've even admitted you agree with me.

(as an aside: I was also suggesting Myers for Hamonic at the time...I thought that would have been a good deal for the Jets and as much as I was willing to offer)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My assessment is based on what I see from their play and what I've seen over the years on their metrics. I think Hamonic was a better player when traded than Myers is now. I later offered media buzz as additional support: he seems more highly regarded than Myers. I think it's fairly straightforward. You've even admitted you agree with me.

(as an aside: I was also suggesting Myers for Hamonic at the time...I thought that would have been a good deal for the Jets and as much as I was willing to offer)

I haven't agreed that all we get for Myers is a 2nd. I do agree that Hamonic has, or at least had a better rep than Myers. I think that the perception of Myers has risen this year while the perception of Hamonic has fallen. IDK if that would apply to the scouts and GM's or not.

If all we could get in return was a 2nd I would keep him as an 'own rental' and he would walk after next season.

Edit: WWCD? With Trouba undecided while we wait for the arb date does Chevy extend Myers in July?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hamonic was better a couple of seasons ago. He's dropped off somewhat from his best years. I think he was seen as solidly 2nd pairing. Is Myers rep that high? The guy gets a lot of minutes and GMs get pretty hot about that long stick of his. He's not very physical though (UGH GM CHIA NO LIKE!) and he's not great in his own zone...? I think he's more borderline 2nd pair - if he's got a steady complementary partner.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Hamonic was better a couple of seasons ago. He's dropped off somewhat from his best years. I think he was seen as solidly 2nd pairing. Is Myers rep that high? The guy gets a lot of minutes and GMs get pretty hot about that long stick of his. He's not very physical though (UGH GM CHIA NO LIKE!) and he's not great in his own zone...? I think he's more borderline 2nd pair - if he's got a steady complementary partner.

Yeah it's odd that a 6'7 defenseman has value driven mostly from his scoring but that's him.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Wasn't sure. :)
You bravely picked up Aavco's arguments but I don't think you and I are as far apart on this one. :laugh:

Bottom line...my original point was I think he could be moved in the offseason. Maybe a late first, more likely, in my very humble (some may argue) opinion, a combination of other picks.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Myers has levelled off as a 4-5 D. He can play 2nd pairing minutes with a partner who can carry him but Myers can’t lead a 2nd pairing. He’s alright at 3rd pairing matchups/minutes. I can’t imagine trading him for much at one year at a $5.5 cap hit.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Myers has levelled off as a 4-5 D. He can play 2nd pairing minutes with a partner who can carry him but Myers can’t lead a 2nd pairing. He’s alright at 3rd pairing matchups/minutes. I can’t imagine trading him for much at one year at a $5.5 cap hit.

Only $3.0m salary though.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Problem is that just about any number would be more than Jets can afford.

More and more though he looks like just what we need. There are ways it could be done. I am beginning to lean toward thinking that Chevy should take the steps necessary to be able to make him a real offer. I'd still be wary of giving him too much term and I know it would require moving a player I really don't want to move. But he has been a real difference maker.
Move Little to the Leafs. Or to Calgary. that opens some room.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You bravely picked up Aavco's arguments but I don't think you and I are as far apart on this one. :laugh:

Bottom line...my original point was I think he could be moved in the offseason. Maybe a late first, more likely, in my very humble (some may argue) opinion, a combination of other picks.

I still doubt it, unless Trouba signs long term before the draft. By the time Trouba's arb date comes up the trade market will have largely dried up. I think that trading Myers before Trouba is settled would be reckless. After that, there is another window a few weeks into the season. If he is not traded then, I don't see it happening.

I could see Chevy extending him as a more likely possibility. OTOH I think that if Trouba signs long term right after the season Myers would be gone pretty quickly. I certainly hope we would get better value for him than a handful of later picks though. If we can't get a mid to late 1st I would rather get a prospect of some kind. Alternatively, bundle him with some other assets to get something better.

I suspect you are just trying to move his cap hit and are willing to settle for a small return. I don't see the cap hit as being that important. It is only for the 1 year. We can carry it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Move Little to the Leafs. Or to Calgary. that opens some room.

Little has a full NMC.

There is very little difference between Little and Stastny other than Stastny being a better fit with Ehlers and Laine. Small sample of a hot Stastny compared to a slumping Little. Oh, also Stastny is 2 years older so term is even riskier.

I'm not interested in swapping Little for Stastny. Not really. I want both.

Reactions: HannuJ and larmex99

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Little has a full NMC.

There is very little difference between Little and Stastny other than Stastny being a better fit with Ehlers and Laine. Small sample of a hot Stastny compared to a slumping Little. Oh, also Stastny is 2 years older so term is even riskier.

I'm not interested in swapping Little for Stastny. Not really. I want both.

he only has a limited nmc, no? at least before July 1?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I still doubt it, unless Trouba signs long term before the draft. By the time Trouba's arb date comes up the trade market will have largely dried up. I think that trading Myers before Trouba is settled would be reckless. After that, there is another window a few weeks into the season. If he is not traded then, I don't see it happening.

I could see Chevy extending him as a more likely possibility. OTOH I think that if Trouba signs long term right after the season Myers would be gone pretty quickly. I certainly hope we would get better value for him than a handful of later picks though. If we can't get a mid to late 1st I would rather get a prospect of some kind. Alternatively, bundle him with some other assets to get something better.

I suspect you are just trying to move his cap hit and are willing to settle for a small return. I don't see the cap hit as being that important. It is only for the 1 year. We can carry it.

I wish you were more agreeable. :laugh: I think i'm just thinking about making our draft more interesting. We're down a first after all.

I think the left side of D is more interesting next year than the right. Kuli, Chiapet, Niku....who gets 4LHD? Do we move on someone external? If we trade Myers, Poolman steps in. It's nice we have another year on Nogier too. I think he has a strong year with the Moose.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I wish you were more agreeable. :laugh: I think i'm just thinking about making our draft more interesting. We're down a first after all.

I think the left side of D is more interesting next year than the right. Kuli, Chiapet, Niku....who gets 4LHD? Do we move on someone external? If we trade Myers, Poolman steps in. It's nice we have another year on Nogier too. I think he has a strong year with the Moose.

Morrisey?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
There not going to move Little

I would say there is little to no chance Stastny signs back here even if we had room. He will get a sweet heart deal, probably with Colorado for next season

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I didn't know you could do that. I thought an extension just followed the existing contract. Interesting.

CBA

(b) A no-Trade clause or a no-move clause that is negotiated as part of an extension of an SPC entered into pursuant to Section 50.5(f) may become effective immediately upon registration of, but prior to the effective date of, such SPC extension, provided: (i) the Player would otherwise have been eligible as of the immediately preceding July 1 prior to signing the SPC extension to have a no-Trade or no-move clause pursuant to Section 11.8; and (ii) the Club and the Player, who are parties to such SPC extension, agree that the no-Trade or no-move clause is effective immediately upon execution of the SPC extension (or at some later date agreed to by the Club and the Player) and evidence such agreement in writing in the SPC

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
CBA

(b) A no-Trade clause or a no-move clause that is negotiated as part of an extension of an SPC entered into pursuant to Section 50.5(f) may become effective immediately upon registration of, but prior to the effective date of, such SPC extension, provided: (i) the Player would otherwise have been eligible as of the immediately preceding July 1 prior to signing the SPC extension to have a no-Trade or no-move clause pursuant to Section 11.8; and (ii) the Club and the Player, who are parties to such SPC extension, agree that the no-Trade or no-move clause is effective immediately upon execution of the SPC extension (or at some later date agreed to by the Club and the Player) and evidence such agreement in writing in the SPC

Thank you. We should probably stop talking about resigning Stastny then. Unless we're trading Lowry.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
We should just send everyone to our farm team....the Canucks.

Canucks have a real beauty coming out of Sweden though.

Funny aside: I went back to look at the 1999 draft year to see if the Canucks would have been better off drafting at #1 and #4 and passing on the Sedins as a package. What a horrid first round!!! Oustide the Sedins, only 2 players made an allstar team, Boynton and Havlat. :eek:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad