Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I haven't given up hope for Roslo at C but I'm not counting on it either. After him it looks like Spacek. If the others can't play C in the A then they certainly aren't going to in the NHL. That's about it.

Jets are still not in bad shape though. We have Lowry and Copp in the bottom 6. I think both are very good in those roles and Fefe is still young.

We need a Little replacement in the system somewhere though.
I'm counting on Roslo to become a centre after his great game last game at centre.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Josh Morrissey says "hi".
He's a great passer and VERY smart. He also plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and isn't afraid to go after someone bigger. I also like the way he sticks up for his goalie and doesn't back down from any of the "stars" of the game that he plays against all the time. He is also a very fluid skater that makes it look like it is effortless. I just think Buff is a better and smarter passer. I think that Buff sees the game as well as anyone on the team and has the best anticipation? of any player I have seen in a Jets uni since Carlyle.
Love our D once everyone is healthy and everyone is playing in their proper pairings.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He's a great passer and VERY smart. He also plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and isn't afraid to go after someone bigger. I also like the way he sticks up for his goalie and doesn't back down from any of the "stars" of the game that he plays against all the time. He is also a very fluid skater that makes it look like it is effortless. I just think Buff is a better and smarter passer. I think that Buff sees the game as well as anyone on the team and has the best anticipation? of any player I have seen in a Jets uni since Carlyle.
Love our D once everyone is healthy and everyone is playing in their proper pairings.
You are definitely entitled to your opinion but I see Morrissey as the smarter of the two. I think he thinks the game better. I think morrissey has less of an ego and doesn't look for his own offence as much. I also think Mo gets the puck off his stick much faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah I think they will try really hard to move Mason. I also think the Jets will also look at some bridge deals for players other than Laine to keep the gang together over the next few years.

Moving Mason will be very difficult. Coming of poor performance and injury why would anyone want to pay him that much?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I haven't given up hope for Roslo at C but I'm not counting on it either. After him it looks like Spacek. If the others can't play C in the A then they certainly aren't going to in the NHL. That's about it.

Jets are still not in bad shape though. We have Lowry and Copp in the bottom 6. I think both are very good in those roles and Fefe is still young.

We need a Little replacement in the system somewhere though.
that's how we'll utilize this year's 1st round pi....oh, wait...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Price of doing business if you are going to bring in a guy like Stastny for a cup run. He is proving to be a very big add. Once (if) we get healthy up front we will have close to or very possibly the best forward group in the league. Few teams are stronger down the middle than we are with:

Scheifele
Stastny
Little
Lowry

Reactions: YWGinYYZ and jgimp

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Price of doing business if you are going to bring in a guy like Stastny for a cup run. He is proving to be a very big add. Once (if) we get healthy up front we will have close to or very possibly the best forward group in the league. Few teams are stronger down the middle than we are with:

Scheifele
Stastny
Little
Lowry

Yeah only teams that can compete with our center depth are in the east. I just really hope we can have everyone healthy and ready to go for playoffs.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Scheifele
Stastny
Little
Lowry

I don't think he was complaining about losing the 1st for Stas. Just noting the situation.

I hope our pick is going to be late enough that it likely wouldn't have done that job anyway.

I still think that we are going to have to accept the loss of one of our top young players sooner rather than later. We will need that C and we will need cap relief. We don't need a C who is already in the NHL. We need one whose ELC will start in another year or two. As you pointed out above, you have to give to get.

Reactions: HannuJ

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Lowry centering 4th line in practice.
Trade Myers and bridge Morrissey.

That doesn't do it. Not even close. It might make enough room for next year but we would be way over the cap the year after.

If you want to sign somebody you have to trade someone who will be with us beyond the '19 season. That means someone other than Myers or Mason.

Then, another year later, Morrissey's bridge expires and he costs us 7 instead of 5.5.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Moving Mason will be very difficult. Coming of poor performance and injury why would anyone want to pay him that much?

They must have some kind of contingency. It's kind of funny to hear Chevy in that ESPN article talk about how much faith they had in Helle given the Mason signing. The second year of that deal always had a potential to be a poison pill. Maybe they just eat the cap hit next year, maybe they deal him with some retained. Buyout saves about $2.7 million on next year cap, but costs about $1.4 million on 19-20 cap.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wonder if you trade Ehlers and keep Connor if you are right up by the cap. After all, you would get a lot in return, Connor would be slightly cheaper and it pushes cap issues back a year.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I wonder if you trade Ehlers and keep Connor if you are right up by the cap. After all, you would get a lot in return, Connor would be slightly cheaper and it pushes cap issues back a year.

Wouldn't the return cost more against the cap? The Jets really don't have any holes to fill. If you want to win anytime soon you aren't trading for futures and nobody is parting with elite guys on ELC's.

Guys that are going to be moved/not re-signed/re-signed at a bargain for cap space are guys like Perreault, Enstrom, Myers, Mason.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They must have some kind of contingency. It's kind of funny to hear Chevy in that ESPN article talk about how much faith they had in Helle given the Mason signing. The second year of that deal always had a potential to be a poison pill. Maybe they just eat the cap hit next year, maybe they deal him with some retained. Buyout saves about $2.7 million on next year cap, but costs about $1.4 million on 19-20 cap.

I think they just eat it, one way or another. Trade with retention doesn't make much sense. By the time they pay a backup goalie there is hardly any saving. I'm skeptical that they could trade him even with max retention. Who is going to want to pay Mason 2.05 mil after this season? Buyout is worse. They will need that cap in '20.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
mason will be tradeable next season when a starter is injured elsewhere. lots of teams desperate for a starter a couple of months back.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
Ehlers contract could be a steal of a deal in a couple years, just for this reason is why he shouldn’t be moved. Also there is no reason to trade either of these players as they are at the core age of this team.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
It would not be easy but as a condition in order to make a bigger deal work. Jets have that ability. As I have continually said, the cap is of course an issue but there are options.

Those that automatically dismiss a scenario because the Jets are tight against the cap aren't looking clearly at all the different ways to accommodate a player they want.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It would not be easy but as a condition in order to make a bigger deal work. Jets have that ability. As I have continually said, the cap is of course an issue but there are options.

Those that automatically dismiss a scenario because the Jets are tight against the cap aren't looking clearly at all the different ways to accommodate a player they want.

In other words, pay someone to take him off our hands. Of course that is possible but with him being under contract for only 1 more year it isn't very likely to be worth the cost.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
In other words, pay someone to take him off our hands. Of course that is possible but with him being under contract for only 1 more year it isn't very likely to be worth the cost.
No but the Jets have assets and if a team is actively pursuing or wanting one of those then including Mason could be an option.

There are many avenues available, doesn't mean it's easy street but dismissing possibilities just because "the cap" is inherently lazy.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No but the Jets have assets and if a team is actively pursuing or wanting one of those then including Mason could be an option.

There are many avenues available, doesn't mean it's easy street but dismissing possibilities just because "the cap" is inherently lazy.

When have I dismissed a possibility? I'm talking about things that appear likely. Possible and impossible don't enter into it.

And speaking of inherently lazy, what is lazier than just saying that everything is possible? You have been pounding away at this theme for some time but are too 'lazy' to even come up with reasonably likely hypotheticals.

Including Mason as you suggest reduces the value of the return. So it is paying someone to take him off our hands. He will be gone in 1 year anyway.

Dumping his cap 1 year earlier doesn't enable much for us. For example, we could come up with a scenario whereby getting rid of that 3 mil (after getting a replacement backup) allows us to fit Stastny under the cap. Obviously more than just moving Mason is required but lets assume the rest is in place. That doesn't help with Stastny's salary the year after next because Mason was going to be gone then anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->