Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion - 2020/21 Edition Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What the Habs have is futures, lots of futures. And liquidity, because beer sales aren't lagging. Laine is due $7.5 million this year and if the Jets aren't comfortable making him a top 3 paid player on the team, now might be the time to move him. If the deal starts with Danault, and negotiations with his agent, then the Jets can immediately fill the 2c hole. What I like about Danault is he is a legit #1 PKer, and that could allow the Jets to use Lurch on the PP more, where he might have an impact as well. Brook would be a natural addition, fills a need for us. You can add Montreal's 1st and other draft picks, alot of draft picks, which is what we need to build depth. I'm not sure Caulfield is better value than Vesalainen. They do make sense as a trade partner, a team that needs a sniper. Bergevin could overpay, and those are the deals where Chevy has been good.

Danault is nowhere close to Laine's value. Lurch has been used on the PP before. He didn't help it. Josh Brook doesn't look near as good as Gawanke right now. Is a whole lot of later draft picks what we want? In exchange for a top line winger? Why?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Danault is nowhere close to Laine's value. Lurch has been used on the PP before. He didn't help it. Josh Brook doesn't look near as good as Gawanke right now. Is a whole lot of later draft picks what we want? In exchange for a top line winger? Why?

2nd line winger. 1st line centre. If you follow their usage. But it's ok. I don't want to argue about Laine anymore. Players, prospects, picks are the best return on stars, but you can go your own way about it.

As for Lowry, he did help the PP. Not sure what you saw.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
2nd line winger. 1st line centre. If you follow their usage. But it's ok. I don't want to argue about Laine anymore. Players, prospects, picks are the best return on stars, but you can go your own way about it.

OK
I'll just say too much quantity, not enough quality.

Reactions: roccerfeller

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Wild are shopping Dumba apparently, since they have Suter, Spurgeon and now Brodin to protect in the expansion draft.

It'll never happen, but send Wheeler home.
Id trade for Dumba, trade Pionk for a 2C, re sign demelo

a top 4 consisting of MOrrissey, Pionk, Demelo, Samberg(?). Maybe sign (or trade) for a vet top 4 2LD to a low-term contract while Samberg gets acclimated to the NHL. Dillon perhaps?

that ain't bad.

Dumba QB the PP

Morrissey-Demelo
Dillon-Dumba
Samberg-Poolman

i think this has a good mix of size, off skill, and def skill.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
OK
I'll just say too much quantity, not enough quality.

Depends on what you measure as quality. 60% Corsi for a centre is probably something a good GM would want. If you could get 2 firsts on Laine, that's alot of quality, potentially, one of them could turn out better than Laine, and at a cost that keeps the team together. You could have your future goalie, in Primeau, who is higher rated than Birdman. But concentrate on Brook, I only added him because he's local, and we need RD depth going forward. And of Brook, Juulsen, Fleury, it's a toss up who's better.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Depends on what you measure as quality. 60% Corsi for a centre is probably something a good GM would want. If you could get 2 firsts on Laine, that's alot of quality, potentially, one of them could turn out better than Laine, and at a cost that keeps the team together. You could have your future goalie, in Primeau, who is higher rated than Birdman. But concentrate on Brook, I only added him because he's local, and we need RD depth going forward. And of Brook, Juulsen, Fleury, it's a toss up who's better.

Mid to late firsts? Not the kind of quality we are talking with Laine. Not even close.

Primeau is rated higher by who?

None of those 3 D are better than the ones we have on the Moose now. You are in the wrong part of the depth charts.

Reactions: Math the wild rose

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

The clock doesn't stop Chevy...get busy. Or is the plan to let most of them walk? Interesting times.

Jets RFAs...

Nogier
Suess
Spacek
Niku
Roslovic
Harkins
Appleton

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Mid to late firsts? Not the kind of quality we are talking with Laine. Not even close.

Primeau is rated higher by who?

None of those 3 D are better than the ones we have on the Moose now. You are in the wrong part of the depth charts.

Montreal is not a late first team. Mid first defines their mediocrity. And Laine wouldn't change that. It's a poorly managed team, that spends big money on guys like Alzner and Chiarot. They'd give Laine Matthews type money. Primeau is rated better than Berdin by virtually every scout. 2 NHL games already .931 save %

Here's another way to look at it.

You get your 2c. Problem solved long term. Back to drafting BPA, could be Jarvis or Quinn. You get an extra pick this year. Could be Schneider.

In 2 years you could be looking at

Connor-Scheif-Jarvis/Quinn
Ehlers-Danault-Wheeler
Harkins-Lowry-Roslovic
Vesalainen-Gustafsson-Appleton

Morrissey-Schneider
Samberg-Pionk/De Melo/Hamonic
Heinola-Kovacevic/Gawanke

Hellebuyck
Primeau

That's still a contending team.

And you still would have more draft picks to fill shelves. So you can plug holes with players short term.

Once you stop trading to fill that 2c hole, it's alot easier to build the team. In fact you can start to build assets up to a point where you trade from positions of strength (say Pionk or Berdin). If we keep trying to find guys to fit our star winger power, with a defense that is already depleted, eventually the team will bottom out for lack of having prospects to replace top players. We can disagree, we often do, it's not a big deal to me.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The clock doesn't stop Chevy...get busy. Or is the plan to let most of them walk? Interesting times.

Jets RFAs...

Nogier
Suess
Spacek
Niku
Roslovic
Harkins
Appleton

Really only the bottom 4 need to be qualified but I bet we keep Nogier ans Suess in the fold.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Jets RFAs...

Nogier
Suess
Spacek
Niku
Roslovic
Harkins
Appleton

I remember Garret saying that the Jets weren't sure about re-signing Nogier last year, so he's likely to walk, especially with the development of Kovacevic and Gawanke, and Chisholm can play RD, plus Luke Green is still here.

Spacek is done with the Jets. You don't move a player out of your organization unless you think he is hindering it, and that's exactly what happened with him.

Suess I think gets an offer, he might be in contention for a 13th forward.

The other 4 are guaranteed to be tendered, and it will be a much easier year to sign RFA contracts for Chevy, as none are big ticket players.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Jets RFAs...

Nogier - walk
Suess - qualify
Spacek - walk
Niku - qualify
Roslovic - qualify
Harkins - qualify
Appleton - qualify

Reactions: BatVader

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Jets RFAs...

Nogier
Suess
Spacek
Niku
Roslovic
Harkins
Appleton

We're about 4 weeks out from QO deadline, a little early to speculate on if he's letting guys walk. I don't think any QOs have been submitted by any team yet.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I know who we should get eh @BatVader , the guy chewing in the back with his mouth wide open. :laugh:

Well, in fairness when the mozza sticks to the roof of your mouth, you need that jaw separation to try and tug it back down. Otherwise, you're poking around up there with your free hand and how would that look on camera? :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad