Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion - 2020/21 Edition Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The last five posts in the other thread:

Drysdale is far and away the highest ranked RHD and he is unlikely to be available at #10.

I meant after Drysadale as I don't expect him to be available after pick 5.

Find a center who can hang around the crease tip in errant shots or bang in rebounds, and our Pply will improve on production immensely.
How about Sean Monahan in CGY? He has soured as a play-driving #1C there. He is a scorer, not a set-up guy and gets more goals from the crease outer area and rebounds or crossing the middle redirection. Not sure of the cost but maybe something around C-Adam Lowry, prospect Vesalainen and RD Tucker Poolman? Probably not enough for their side? Maybe throw in Perreault and Maurice too? Yucka, yucka!

Put them all, Huddy and Tank-early Flattery too in a " free Monday city of Wpg lawn pickup" day bag. Then start over from scratch. Scheff's and Wheels can man the roster until new coaches figure out where to park and find the entrance corridors to Mts Bell whatever it's name Center arena. Or, watch the coaches creativity and adjusting skills fail again.

If you go by what fans on HF want, Monahan would cost #10 + Roslovic + Copp/Pionk.
Which I would easily do for him in a heartbeat. IMO he’s exactly what we need at 2C.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Would Laine + Roslovic be an overpay for Eichel? Who would say no?
Eichel wants out and the Jets need a C.
Laine would become their best forward and Roslovic would be in their top 6 maybe as their 2C.
Eichel makes 10M, so Laine probably saves them a bit of cash for his next contract. A deal would have to be in place for the trade to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Eichel would be a steal for Laine and Roslovic.
Ok then....Laine + ? for Eichel.
In theory, Buffalo isn't in a strong negotiating position if Eichel has said he wants out, and there can't be a ton of teams who could offer someone as good as Laine as part of a deal.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Eichel would be a steal for Laine and Roslovic.

There's just no way True North would make Scheifele a #2 centre.

If we trade with Buffalo I think it would be for one of their 4 RH defensemen. I know alot of people here were high on Colin Miller. Buffalo is going to move one of Miller, Montour or Ristolainen this offseason you would have to believe. Amazing that they had Bogo too this year.

Roslovic for Ristolainen still makes alot of sense for me. Roslovic could play with Eichel. Risto could be our PP QB, and it's hard to argue that Dylan De Melo is a better hockey player than Ristolainen. If would be up to our coaches though to get him playing the right way. But I think he suits our style of play, and tempo.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Ok then....Laine + ? for Eichel.
In theory, Buffalo isn't in a strong negotiating position if Eichel has said he wants out, and there can't be a ton of teams who could offer someone as good as Laine as part of a deal.
I don't know if it is possible, as Chevy would need a significant add to Laine, but Scheifele and Eichel up the middle is a thing of dreams. While we are at it lets throw in a Piet UFA signing and go on a handful of cup runs.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Buffalo is trying to look for a 2C. I don't think they'd be willing to give up their 1C (or at least I assume Eichel is their 1C...)

But it's a fun thing to dream about!

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There's just no way True North would make Scheifele a #2 centre.

If we trade with Buffalo I think it would be for one of their 4 RH defensemen. I know alot of people here were high on Colin Miller. Buffalo is going to move one of Miller, Montour or Ristolainen this offseason you would have to believe. Amazing that they had Bogo too this year.
I don't think TNSE cares who is 1A or 1B. Crosby and Malkin coexist quite nicely in Pittsburgh.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think TNSE cares who is 1A or 1B. Crosby and Malkin coexist quite nicely in Pittsburgh.

That's Pittsburgh. Mario needed that 2c to win, so he built it the same way. I think this is Scheifele's team. That would change things, unless you planned on playing Eichel on the wing, with Connor. I think an Eichel trade would ruffle some feathers honestly. I'd be asking the price for Dylan Cozens. If Buffalo wanted 2 players from this draft, say Sanderson and Askarov, maybe we could get them to trade, with Roslovic as the incentive.

Reactions: Jetsetter

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That's Pittsburgh. Mario needed that 2c to win, so he built it the same way. I think this is Scheifele's team. That would change things, unless you planned on playing Eichel on the wing, with Connor. I think an Eichel trade would ruffle some feathers honestly. I'd be asking the price for Dylan Cozens. If Buffalo wanted 2 players from this draft, say Sanderson and Askarov, maybe we could get them to trade, with Roslovic as the incentive.

I don't think Buffalo is interested in anything on our roster outside of Schiefele.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if they have a much quieter off season and try smaller moves or seemingly smaller moves. I think they take their shot at Pietrangelo if he doesn't resign in St.Loo. Maybe look at guys like Dillon or Edmundson in UFA. Maybe move for a guy like Stepan. Plug some holes with youth. Take another year to do anything really drastic and try to wait out Covid and its impact on the economics of sport

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if they have a much quieter off season and try smaller moves or seemingly smaller moves. I think they take their shot at Pietrangelo if he doesn't resign in St.Loo. Maybe look at guys like Dillon or Edmundson in UFA. Maybe move for a guy like Stepan. Plug some holes with youth. Take another year to do anything really drastic and try to wait out Covid and its impact on the economics of sport
Isn’t that what Chevy does every year? It’s clear some bigger moves are needed to get this team to move forward.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Well that’s no fun. Prudent perhaps, but definitely no fun.

Reactions: robertocarlos

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

It’s something to consider they may be taking a serious beating cash flow wise and may not be able to afford being a cap team next season.

Who knows?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It’s something to consider they may be taking a serious beating cash flow wise and may not be able to afford being a cap team next season.

Who knows?

I believe Chevy said the team would be competitive next year, but he refused to discuss an internal salary cap. I would be surprised if the Jets spent over Little's LTIR unless there is a confirmation that he is out for the season. If that cap is $76 million excluding Little's salary, that would only allow around $15 million for 8-9 players. The RFA salaries won't be like last year, they will be filling out roles behind the stars, so there is room for a mid-level free agent or two.

The one thing about last season is the Jets paid more in salaries with front loaded contracts for Wheeler, Little, Connor. Wheeler goes down to 6.5 million this year. And then back to $10 million next year. Ehlers and Helly are earning under $5 million this year.

The 3 top salaries for 2020-21 are Morrissey and Connor at $8 million and Laine at 7.5 million.

The Jets can save some money if they convince players re-signing to defer salaries in multi year deals.

Thomson is still rich, and a hockey enthusiast. Chipman's equity is probably suffering more, but I'm optimistic our ownership is stable. I think there are owners who won't want to cover the losses this season, because they don't have lateral investments related to hockey, or government support to lean on, which puts the Jets in an opportunistic situation.

Reactions: Jetsetter

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sometimes I wonder if teams leak these players being available to the media to soften the blow a little bit. Just seems odd that Servelli would throw this out there out of the blue.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Sometimes I wonder if teams leak these players being available to the media to soften the blow a little bit. Just seems odd that Servelli would throw this out there out of the blue.
Almost like Chevy’s usual trade partners weren’t biting so he’s ringing the dinner bell, as if to say, come on down and make me an offer I can’t refuse! I think media are used like this more than we think.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
both friedman and lebrun have stated they haven't heard his name being shopped and that it would only make sense if they feel they can't get him signed long term. 22 year old 40 goal scorers are never available if his name was out there they would have heard it.
https://illegalcurve.com/elliotte-f...to-talk-about-the-winnipeg-jets-patrik-laine/
Trade Bait: Winnipeg Jets sniper Patrik Laine on the board - TSN.ca

Of course it makes sense if Laine won't sign long term at a fair price........you can't allow an asset as valuable as Laine walk himself to UFA via CBA & arbitration rights and lose him as a UFA or a one year rental. If Chevy doesn't already know Laine's intention, Laine will likely be given one more chance this offseason to sign long term at a fair rate or bye bye Laine.......which is perfectly logical & the best thing for Winnipeg if it unfolded that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad