Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion - 2020/21 Edition Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Wild are shopping Dumba apparently, since they have Suter, Spurgeon and now Brodin to protect in the expansion draft.

It'll never happen, but send Wheeler home.
Just what Minny needs another mid 30's forward with a big contract. Can't have enough of those :sarcasm:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I still prefer Cirelli to Danault or just about any other listed 2C option.
Young kid with lots of promise who is already proving himself on one of the best teams in the league.
I think it is a huge fail if Chevy doesn’t OS or trade for him.
After throwing around 1st round picks for rentals the last 3 years, there is zero excuses to not go after a player like Cirelli Who would be a long term fit and solution
Why do you think Cirelli wants to leave TB? Short of offersheeting him for something outrageous way above market value, why does he leave one of the top couple teams in the league, with a great climate and huge tax advantages?

Reactions: voyageur

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder if EDM would be interested in some kind of Laine for Draisaitl deal.

Draisaitl would be a great add, and would be amazing with Ehlers or Connor.

Laine with McDavid.... just damn

But i guess if we’re looking to move Laine due to money we can’t really afford Draisaitl...huh?
Draisaitl is worth way way more than Laine. He has moved into the top 5 centers in the league. Laine is a winger that probably doesn't make most top 20 winger lists.

Nedarb

Feb 19, 2019
What’s everyone’s thoughts on gaudette from Vancouver as a 2C? Had a pretty good 2nd nhl year, Showed he can be offensive. I think he’d be a very cheap addition and could be an upgrade to what we have internally.. just spit balling.

Reactions: JBM

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Wild are shopping Dumba apparently, since they have Suter, Spurgeon and now Brodin to protect in the expansion draft.

It'll never happen, but send Wheeler home.

Interesting. I wonder what Dumba's cost would be, and wonder if trading within the division would be possible. From what I remember, Dumba was a good top pairing D, but I don't know what he's like now.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I think it would've been a much harder sell to the average STH than HFJets, to sell at the deadline last year when the team was first or second in the Central.

The Blues ended up trading Shattenkirk while in a playoff position before he went to UFA and then flipped #1 pick they got for him in a package for Schenn. The rest is history.

Most of the talk was around keeping your own rental (Myers). Lots of risk/reward in the business and you never know how its going to work out.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Draisaitl is worth way way more than Laine. He has moved into the top 5 centers in the league. Laine is a winger that probably doesn't make most top 20 winger lists.

Correct.....Laine value doesn't even approach Draisaitl value. Clearly Drai value is well above Laines.

Reactions: surixon

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The Blues ended up trading Shattenkirk while in a playoff position before he went to UFA and then flipped #1 pick they got for him in a package for Schenn. The rest is history.

Most of the talk was around keeping your own rental (Myers). Lots of risk/reward in the business and you never know how its going to work out.

It may have worked out on the ice, I'm just saying that, from the STHs I know at least, making trades like that when fighting for the division title would've created a LOT of frustration. Hockey is also a money business, you don't want to upset too many of your customers.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Exactly. If the Habs hang onto Danault they could sell him at the TDL (if there is one next season), but then they would not likely get more than a late 1st and a prospect. If Danault is keen on a fresh start and wants a trade, I expect that the Habs will want to trade him this off-season, and get an NHL player and a prospect for him. Roslovic and a prospect or Vesalainen and a player like Appleton or Harkins might be in the ball-park, I think. But time will tell. It's hard to guess values these days.
I wouldn't trade Harkins. He will be your 2c.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Recency bias. Last year StL won, so the mantra becomes get bigger. A few years ago Chicago won so it was get quicker. Next year, everybody will be trying to get older. :laugh:

Don't let a hot streak with a hot goalie fool you into thinking spending a lot of money on old guys is the path to victory.

But to put it into the context of this discussion, long term commitments to older players can be a death sentence for competitiveness. OTOH an occasional very good older player on a short term contract might be a good idea. The thing is that you pick these guys up in FA for 1 year at a time, maybe 2. No long term commitments.
Don't tell Jim Benning that!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It may have worked out on the ice, I'm just saying that, from the STHs I know at least, making trades like that when fighting for the division title would've created a LOT of frustration. Hockey is also a money business, you don't want to upset too many of your customers.

That or your players. The team made some promises to try to contend when Wheeler extended, it woild have looked poor on the organizations part and lilely would have damaged some relationships with key players to sell off those assets at the deadline.

Reactions: Mathil8

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
okay, let’s not put the cart before the horse. Yes, he did decent this season but he is a far cry from being a 2C candidate.
His draft pedigree said 2c. He had mono, got hurt and didn't excel as fast as hoped. I think the organization expects one of him Roslo or Gustafsson to be our 2c. My bet is its Harkins.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
His draft pedigree said 2c. He had mono, got hurt and didn't excel as fast as hoped. I think the organization expects one of him Roslo or Gustafsson to be our 2c. My bet is its Harkins.
No way it's Roslo.
Scheif and Little both out in the playoffs and he doesn't get a sniff.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Bergevin has said he's untouchable.

Makes zero sense for Montreal, and they have a better version of Heinola developing in KHL, Romanov.
Bergevin also said he wasn’t trading Subban... the only person in Montreal who is truly safe is Bergevin

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Bergevin also said he wasn’t trading Subban... the only person in Montreal who is truly safe is Bergevin

Sure he traded Subban, you're still not getting Kotka for Heinola, that's terrible for Montreal.

They've waited ages to have the future C pairing Suzuki- Kotka, they'll understand the value.
If you want a C from Montreal you need to settle for either Domi or Danault.

Reactions: hn777

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
No way it's Roslo.
Scheif and Little both out in the playoffs and he doesn't get a sniff.

That was odd. But the best line we had in the playoffs was Harkins-Lowry-Roslovic. Maurice has said he sees him as a centre, but has used him pretty sparingly. I think you run into the problem where Scheifele is not the ultimate defensive centre, and so your next RH is not particularly a defensive minded centre either or great on the draw. Though Ehlers-Wheeler-Roslovic had some decent metrics.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It seems very unlikely that the Habs would even consider trading Kotkaniemi for Heinola at this point.

Given that defense might be our weakest position now, I can't see the Jets trading their best prospect on D. That's a pretty safe bet.

I think there are alot of centres who might get moved this offseason. Jordan Staal, Derek Stepan, Artem Anisimov, maybe Kyle Turris, then there are the RFAs like the Stromes who might be on the market. Suspect the Jets don't trade any of their prospects, especially on defense. The 1st is probably in play for the right fit, which would be a long term 2c.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think it was more obvious to at least offload Myers at the TDL last year instead of buying Hayes. We gave up our first (irrelevant that we got it back in the Trouba trade, also irrelevant that Heinola looks like he’ll be better than Trouba, it was still a wasted asset) and a nice chippy player in Lemieux (boy, he would’ve been good this year against Calgary) for essentially nothing. The team was very clearly trending down (yes, I know I said we almost got by STL, but there was a clear difference between 2019 and 2018 Jets) and it would’ve been better, IMO, to boot Myers off to a contender and recuperate some assets. If we don’t trade for Hayes, and maybe get a 1st for Myers from a contender, we are in a much better spot. Then Trouba goes to Rangers for Pionk and maybe one of their young centres or this year’s pick (they wouldn’t have known it was Laf at the time, but they wouldn’t have given us the Kakko pick).

So we’d have still had Lemieux and Heinola, but added a late first from Myers (think of grabbing someone like a Kaliyev or Ryan Suzuki) plus a young C prospect (Howden or Andersson) OR the Rangers 2021 pick.

Pretty sure Lemieux asked to be traded. I remember his dad being interviewed and saying something of the sort that he doesn't get to see his son play (4-5 minutes per night).

A team that went into the tank, but probably should have won their division, had Kulikov-Myers often playing bigger minutes than Morrissey-Trouba, with Buff out. Chevy went for it, you can't trade away players when you are a favourite, and the Jets still were. Trouba blew it. Big time. He should have been traded after the WCF run, that would have made a big difference, in terms of what this team looked like.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I understand Draisaitl is way worth more.
But you are short selling Laine.

Laine easily will go in the top 20 wingers list.
No questions. ON ANY LIST

Laine since entering the league sits 39th place for All players in scoring, 39th in the whole league.
All players above him has higher average ice time during that period.
With half of those at least 3 more minutes per game.

And for obvious reason he is the youngest player on the top 50 scorer the last 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad