Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion - 2020/21 Edition (OP Warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Nonsense. The Jets have more than enough cap space to re-sign Laine. That doesn't mean they think he will be worth what he demands.

Yup, a bridge was signed due to the fact neither agreed on a long term deal.

Laine was given a 2 year window to prove that he is worth what he is asking for.

Year one was a good bounce back year where he got back to producing at a greater then 70 point pace and was pacing for 35 goals.

We will have to see what he can do next year. If he can get back to being roughly possession neutral, getting back to being in the top 10 in the league in goals and exhibiting a more well rounded offensive and all around game I doubt the org will have any issuing paying him.

Reactions: roccerfeller

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Add little to that line up and watch the numbers drastically reverse.

That’s like helly going down and saying Maurice gave brossiott a real shot. Ignoring facts to make subjective points

Spin it anyway you want and leave out any facts you want Laine knows why he played with Scheif.

That is just how Maurice rolls. He uses injuries to give kids opportunities. It happened with Scheifele, Conner, Morrissey etc. I dont agree with it myself but it appears to be his method of giving opportunities without rocking the boat with the vets.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Curious...
Would Wennberg + Anderson/Bjorkstrand be too much to ask for Laine?
Would Columbus even consider it?
Would we even be interested?

Would give us a 25 yr old 2C and a 26/25 yr old RW replacement for Laine.
Then we use our #10 to pick an RHD.
I’m assuming Columbus wouldn’t have any interest in moving PLD.

Reactions: Easternbull

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
That is just how Maurice rolls. He uses injuries to give kids opportunities. It happened with Scheifele, Conner, Morrissey etc. I dont agree with it myself but it appears to be his method of giving opportunities without rocking the boat with the vets.

I can agree with this. Good point.

Personally I think there’s more too it with Laine. He had the potential to make by far the most on this roster. I know I’m pretty much alone on this but they are marginalizing him

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Curious...
Would Wennberg + Anderson/Bjorkstrand be too much to ask for Laine?
Would Columbus even consider it?
Would we even be interested?

Would give us a 25 yr old 2C and a 26/25 yr old RW replacement for Laine.
Then we use our #10 to pick an RHD.
I’m assuming Columbus wouldn’t have any interest in moving PLD.

Wennberg hasn't been a top 6 center in Columbus for a couple of years now. They run Dubois and Jenner as their top 2 centers.

Wennberg hasn't scored more then 8 goals and 35 points in three years now. No way does he even get the conversation started.

Bjorkstrand is a middling second line winger that will get you 20 goals. Not reallt appealing to me for Laine either.

The Jackets don't have anything of interest outside Jones/Dubois/Werenski and I doubt any of the three is on the table.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Wennberg hasn't been a top 6 center in Columbus for a couple of years now. They run Dubois and Jenner as their top 2 centers.

Wennberg hasn't scored more then 8 goals and 35 points in three years now. No way does he even get the conversation started.

Bjorkstrand is a middling second line winger that will get you 20 goals. Not reallt appealing to me for Laine either.

The Jackets don't have anything of interest outside Jones/Dubois/Werenski and I doubt any of the three is on the table.
Thanks... I don’t watch them much.
I’m assuming asking for PLD and/or Jones would result in a hung up phone

Reactions: surixon

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Add little to that line up and watch the numbers drastically reverse.

That’s like helly going down and saying Maurice gave brossiott a real shot. Ignoring facts to make subjective points

Spin it anyway you want and leave out any facts you want Laine knows why he played with Scheif.
Who is ignoring facts?

Jets' opening line-up in 2019/20:

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Roslovic

In Little's 7 games this year, he played only 39% of his 5v5 ice-time with Laine on his line.

Reactions: KingBogo

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Who is ignoring facts?

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Roslovic

In Little's 7 games this year, he played only 39% of his 5v5 ice-time with Laine on his line.

Good points. It took a hold out of training camp and a flight to Finland to finally treat Laine the same as his peers around the NHL though.

And he ran with it I feel. Hopefully I’m wrong and he gets to play with Scheif all year and signs long term

Reactions: Easternbull

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For Laine? So we are looking to make our team better but getting back 2 prospects? Unlikely. Hischier or Hughes plus 7 and smith sure but 2 futures for a potential superstar? Why
I'm probably more future-oriented than most fans. I would rather get two high value futures than a passel of middling current assets (like Domi, etc.). It's much easier to make secondary trades with different teams using a high pick or a top prospect, which gives flexibility in remaking the roster.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm probably more future-oriented than most fans. I would rather get two high value futures than a passel of middling current assets (like Domi, etc.). It's much easier to make secondary trades with different teams using a high pick or a top prospect, which gives flexibility in remaking the roster.

For most gms this is true. Not in our case. We just don’t go out of our way to make any trades. Not saying it’s a bad thing it just isn’t in the jets DNA

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Who is ignoring facts?

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Roslovic

Little was in the opening lineup? I thought Kunin took him out in preseason. Opening day was

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Laine
Perreault-Lowry-Roslovic
Bourque-Letestu-Appleton

When Little did come back he moved between Ehlers-Wheeler.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I wonder if it makes sense trying to trade Connor to NJ for #7 (plus other assets). Draft possibly Drysdale, or if not available, draft best C available (probably Rossi, Perfetti, Zary, or Lundell), then use #10 for Schneider (possibly trading down), or best C if we land Drysdale.

Ehlers goes on the first line, while trying two of Harkins, Roslovic, and Copp on the 2nd.

In a few of years, we could be looking really good.

Downside is being a bubble team the next few years.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Taking an elite asset and turning it into a bunch of alright assets isn't the way to go IMO. A trade should be pretty much 1 for 1 if it is going to be considered. If we want to get Domi for example, we don't need to use Laine or Ehlers to get that deal done. We could trade them 10OA for Domi instead. Then address the D through free agency.

Another option couple be to trade for a top pair RHD like Pulock or Ekblad and then address 2C with internal options, a UFA like Haula or a trade for a cap casualty like Cirelli that would only be able to take back picks, prospects and ELCs in return as they can't take cap.

Trading one of our elite wingers for a bunch of parts would be a huge mistake, even if those parts add up to an overpay.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Taking an elite asset and turning it into a bunch of alright assets isn't the way to go IMO. A trade should be pretty much 1 for 1 if it is going to be considered. If we want to get Domi for example, we don't need to use Laine or Ehlers to get that deal done. We could trade them 10OA for Domi instead. Then address the D through free agency.

Another option couple be to trade for a top pair RHD like Pulock or Ekblad and then address 2C with internal options, a UFA like Haula or a trade for a cap casualty like Cirelli that would only be able to take back picks, prospects and ELCs in return as they can't take cap.

Trading one of our elite wingers for a bunch of parts would be a huge mistake, even if those parts add up to an overpay.

Kind of how I see it to. Trading Laine for futures is basically a last resort move IMO. If he feels like he isn't going to sign here long term and wants to make a v-line for UFA then you make a deal as soon as possible and move on. Tell him to keep quiet in the media about his intentions as to not diminish his value and get the best player you can, if you can't find a good fit with a 1 for 1 then you think about a futures kind of deal. Maybe use those futures to target someone like Cirelli or Domi or go after someone like Haula in FA and use the futures to try and address the needs at RHD. Any kind of futures packae should be more about maximizing the most high end prospects and picks possible so we can use those as trade bait elsewhere.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I wonder if it makes sense trying to trade Connor to NJ for #7 (plus other assets). Draft possibly Drysdale, or if not available, draft best C available (probably Rossi, Perfetti, Zary, or Lundell), then use #10 for Schneider (possibly trading down), or best C if we land Drysdale.

Ehlers goes on the first line, while trying two of Harkins, Roslovic, and Copp on the 2nd.

In a few of years, we could be looking really good.

Downside is being a bubble team the next few years.

That doesn't make sense to me because it doesn't address the current need in any way other than saying it won't be an issue 4 years from now, as long as these guys don't bust. By then Wheeler is a shell of his current self, Schief and Helle's contracts are up, etc.

It's not like we need to save cap here. IMO we'd be looking for a hockey trade to improve our team now. Ehlers for Pulock or Laine for Ekblad type deals to fix the RD long term. Or Laine + for Eichel to solidify C long term. If NJ isn't sending back Hughes or Hirschier than pass. let them draft Holtz there and continue their slow build. We need now help if we're going to trade and with the capspace we can take on and the expansion draft coming up I think we're positioned to address needs without having to get an underwhelming return.

No need to trade them just for the sake of saying we tried to do something.

Reactions: Huffer

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That doesn't make sense to me because it doesn't address the current need in any way other than saying it won't be an issue 4 years from now, as long as these guys don't bust. By then Wheeler is a shell of his current self, Schief and Helle's contracts are up, etc.

It's not like we need to save cap here. IMO we'd be looking for a hockey trade to improve our team now. Ehlers for Pulock or Laine for Ekblad type deals to fix the RD long term. Or Laine + for Eichel to solidify C long term. If NJ isn't sending back Hughes or Hirschier than pass. let them draft Holtz there and continue their slow build. We need now help if we're going to trade and with the capspace we can take on and the expansion draft coming up I think we're positioned to address needs without having to get an underwhelming return.

No need to trade them just for the sake of saying we tried to do something.

Laine for Ekblad addresses a team need for both sides, gives us a #1RD that would be an awesome partner for Morrissey and gives us someone under team control for at least 5 years. Plus he's only 2 years older than Laine. It's the exact type of 1 for 1 deal that would benefit both sides. Only thing I wonder about is why does Florida move him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad