Proposal: Rumour and Proposals Thread: The Deadline is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I'll be listening live so I'll post whatever breaking news happens in this thread asap

Reactions: spot

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Holland do something! We have the best PP and 2nd best PK. That is unreal. We ll be getting Connor back soon too. A move to bring in a top 6 winger would make us lethal.
Right now it's a sellers market with the asking prices being pretty high and on top of having to pay that already high price we are tight enough against the cap that we'll likely to pay even more to get someone to eat some salary off us, I'm expecting a minor move and I believe that is the right call.

A better justification for making a move now would be a strong 5v5 team, there are a lot of playoff games where the refs tuck their whistles away for all but the most egregious offenses, we've been leaning into our special teams to carry us for much of the regular season.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Shutting Connor down for the season. Leg procedure imminent?

That or a statement that the Oilers will not be heavily involved in making any roster changes (no meaningful additions or subtractions) before the trade deadline.

I could see that happening. Even though he was getting points his skating just looked off this year. One legged Mcdavid still dominates the league though.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I could see that happening. Even though he was getting points his skating just looked off this year. One legged Mcdavid still dominates the league though.

Frankly, if he is going to be shut down then now is the time to do it.

May cost the Oilers a playoff spot, but the team was not in serious consideration to contend this year anyways.

Better to shut him down early and give him a chance to rehab and be ready for next season than just delay the inevitable and risk losing him in the future when the team is a legitimate contender.

IMO.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Right now it's a sellers market with the asking prices being pretty high and on top of having to pay that already high price we are tight enough against the cap that we'll likely to pay even more to get someone to eat some salary off us, I'm expecting a minor move and I believe that is the right call.

A better justification for making a move now would be a strong 5v5 team, there are a lot of playoff games where the refs tuck their whistles away for all but the most egregious offenses, we've been leaning into our special teams to carry us for much of the regular season.

The only teams that are 100% sellers are Detroit, Ottawa, Jersey, San Jose, Anaheim and LA. After that is a bunch of teams that probably won't make it but still think they have a shot like Chicago, Minnesota and NYR.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

May cost the Oilers a playoff spot, but the team was not in serious consideration to contend this year anyways.

Better to shut him down early and give him a chance to rehab and be ready for next season than just delay the inevitable and risk losing him in the future when the team is a legitimate contender.

IMO.
He’s not getting shut down relax. He was skating like the wind turning his edges etc 40 minutes ago..

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Whatcha got up your sleeve, Ken?

Close to nothing Im afraid. I agree with those in hear that it will be a deasharnias type of trade going on, filling in the 3 -4th rank in depth, the top 6 forwards that McDavid deserves is just too ridiculus annoyingly expensive.

The D is fine, no need to trade for anything there.
If someone is to dangle, its Gagner or Chaisson. But nobody want them.
It someone gives a forward piece in a deal including Chiasson and a high draftpick. we should do it.
Like Trocheck or something.

If Holland goes out hard, it will end up with Tyler Ennis I think. It sounds very oiler-ish.

People here desnt want to get seperated with Caleb Jones or other prsopects, well then you don get any forward help either.
But maybe its worth just holding the course. What do I know. Playoff sure would be fun though.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Why not? Currently the rookies on our team are better than the veterans they replace and not one of them has that skill ceiling.

Because defence is the hardest position to learn, and the refs give veteran guys more leeway in regards to calls. Rookies defenceman for the most part take more penalties.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Plays center also. Awhile back I was talking to a Sabres fan and he felt that he just needed confidence and to get his man strength to succeed. I'd make that trade.
I loved his game at the WJC, but haven't noticed him much positively at all since then. I had to go check how long he is waiver exempt, assuming he stays in the AHL till he's ready his waiver exemption looks to run out in the 2021-22 season, I could see that being enough time for Woodcroft to get him back on track. If he lost his waiver exemption in the 2020-21 season I'd be dead set against that trade, but I can see some potential upside there.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
is any case, I heard Gregor say yesterday that the only way they get cap relief on Neal is if they LTIR for the rest of the season, then bring him back for the playoffs
I think that's what everyone but James Neal and the Calgary Flames wants to happen. There's no cap in the playoffs.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

IMO.

If we completely collapsed and went something like 7-14-2 we still might make the last wild card spot if those 7 wins came against teams chasing us. It's pretty much a guarantee that we get in if we finish 10-13-1.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I loved his game at the WJC, but haven't noticed him much positively at all since then. I had to go check how long he is waiver exempt, assuming he stays in the AHL till he's ready his waiver exemption looks to run out in the 2021-22 season, I could see that being enough time for Woodcroft to get him back on track. If he lost his waiver exemption in the 2020-21 season I'd be dead set against that trade, but I can see some potential upside there.

A season and a half is a lot of time for Woodcroft to work his magic. The 1C spot down there is open for the taking with Marody's poor season.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
A season and a half is a lot of time for Woodcroft to work his magic. The 1C spot down there is open for the taking with Marody's poor season.
More like a season and a quarter, in general I think that is enough time to get a talented young player his confidence & swagger back, but I'm not watching enough of him to know exactly what's holding him back, different issues take different amounts of time to correct.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad