Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: The draft is less than a week away!! "Don't Threaten Me With A Good Time" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The league has already stated there is no cap credit.
But there a rumour the Oiler are going to challenge that. It is written in the CBA so the Oilers should win that

The league has already stated there is no cap credit.
But there a rumour the Oiler are going to challenge that. It is written in the CBA so the Oilers should win that

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
From what I've learned over the years it's to earn the approval of "Beerfish" from HF.
If he did gm that way we would be a heck of a lot better of than we are now.

Zegras on our roster, much less cap space worries due to no dumb smith, keith, kassian contracts.

Beerfish and a few others are annoying doomsayers on this forum. they have the utter audacity to want to win the cup.

We are sitting here with two of the top 5 players in the whole world, and are trying to squander the opportunity.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
No... escrow is based on the total salaries paid and the revenue for that season. The in-season withholding rate is just an estimate of the amount of escrow. The final escrow amount is determined once the final revenue numbers are in. Typically this would mean that players would receive a rebate since the withholding is almost always going to be in excess of the actual escrow required.

The loss of $3.4M in cap does cost some players money. But that money would come out of the pockets of everyone else. So the NHLPA would be arguing for the interests of a few players at the expense of the vast majority. Now there might be some reason why they would do so. But it is not that obvious to me what it would be.
How does that money come out of everyone else's pockets, they already have contracts. Unless you mean via increasing the amount players owe at the end of the year because net salaries are higher, in which case every team that goes near the cap technically costs people money since the projected 50/50 is the midpoint. The amount paid back is by default less than the 3.4M in cash that would come in so it's a net positive for the NHLPA. The reason you fight it is to stop the precedent of the NHL evaporating millions in cap space.

I feel like we are just talking about the same thing regarding escrow at this point and seem to be going in circles. Also, I'm not sure that they typically recevive a refund given the cap situation of all of the teams and the number of very large contracts that are front loaded at any given time.

Reactions: oilers'72

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

The NHL does what it wants and makes it up as it goes along and no one says boo, so if they want to not let the oilers get the credit we won't be getting it.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Theoretically, let’s say we add Kane. We add Giroux. We replace Kieth and Barrie, let’s say for the sake of argument, they’ve been replaced with cheaper players that are equal to them. We add Cambell.

Can you really see us beating Colorado next year?
It depends what they do this offseason. They could lose players like Kadri and Nikushkin plus they won't be as hungry to win the Cup.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
My top 10 draft prediction

1. Montreal: Wright
2. New Jersey: Cooley
3. Arizona: Nemec
4. Seattle: Gauthier
5. Philadelphia: Slafkovsky
6. Columbus: Kasper
7. Ottawa: Korchinski
8. Detroit: Mintyukov
9. Buffalo: Savoie
10. Anaheim: Geekie

Edit: Took out Kemell to CBJ and replaced Kasper after giving it more thought.

Not really making a point. But wondering if the goal is the Cup, if this perfect offseason we are targeting thus far, will be even enough
No Jiricek or Kemell in the top 10? Slafkovsky at 5...? :huh:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I feel like the risk of arbitration is way overstated.

Would the market for Pulju be much better at the draft than if he were signed to a $4M/1 year deal?

The team trading for him at the draft basically has to be OK with that second deal. Like Ottawa isn't going to trade for him and then trade him/let him walk if he goes to arbitration with them.
The other team would be in a position to offer him term. It wouldn't make any sense for Edmonton to do that, nor would he sign here longterm in all likelihood.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
JP at 3.5M or Kane at 3.5M?

Not a tough choice.
It's not quite that simple tbh due to one's status as a RFA and the other as a UFA stuck in a never before seen arbitration situation. In theory we should have the leverage in this scenario especially given Kane's ability to force a 3 team trade list with his San Jose contract. I'd surely rather have a 50% retained Kane than the f***ing 2nd round pick/use to dump Kassian garbage that's being rumored though.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Not the ideal way to resolve the Jesse and Kane situations but I can live with pujujarvi for Kane at 3.5 mil
Cap space is gold these days. If we can sign Giroux and acquire a starting goalie because of Kane getting a lower cap hit, most of us will probably love a move like this if it happens. I know I would! :nod:

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
It's not quite that simple tbh due to one's status as a RFA and the other as a UFA stuck in a never before seen arbitration situation. In theory we should have the leverage in this scenario especially given Kane's ability to force a 3 team trade list with his San Jose contract. I'd surely rather have a 50% retained Kane than the f***ing 2nd round pick/use to dump Kassian garbage that's being rumored though.

Honestly, I don't see this as a "leverage" or "squeeze" type of situation. Kane's arbitration case getting pushed back is such a unique situation. I think they need to settle and the Oilers giving SJS a fair package could help move this across the finish line.

Reactions: McBooya42

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

They will have the support of the NHLPA as it reduces the cap by that 3.4M. Clearly, NHL didn’t do it’s legal research.

They will have the support of the NHLPA as it reduces the cap by that 3.4M. Clearly, NHL didn’t do it’s legal research.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

I don’t why there was a double post above- can’t even go back and edit…lol…classic HFboards forum

How does that money come out of everyone else's pockets, they already have contracts. Unless you mean via increasing the amount players owe at the end of the year because net salaries are higher, in which case every team that goes near the cap technically costs people money since the projected 50/50 is the midpoint. The amount paid back is by default less than the 3.4M in cash that would come in so it's a net positive for the NHLPA. The reason you fight it is to stop the precedent of the NHL evaporating millions in cap space.

I feel like we are just talking about the same thing regarding escrow at this point and seem to be going in circles. Also, I'm not sure that they typically recevive a refund given the cap situation of all of the teams and the number of very large contracts that are front loaded at any given time.

It’s escrow and the agreed upon cap based on NHL revenue would no longer tie- I.e- everyone got overpaid.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Not the ideal way to resolve the Jesse and Kane situations but I can live with pujujarvi for Kane at 3.5 mil

My biggest issue with something like that is San Jose effectively gets rewarded for doing the wrong thing. They should not get a material asset from us- or anyone- for Kane, especially since they were able to realize the benefit of erasing his cap hit almost right away.

What I'd love is for SJ to have the contract reinstated by the arbitrator and Kane then force their hand by putting us and two teams who have no cap room for him on his 3-team trade list. They can have Foegele and a 7th or the rights to Marody or something to complete the trade. Would serve them right.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Honestly, I don't see this as a "leverage" or "squeeze" type of situation. Kane's arbitration case getting pushed back is such a unique situation. I think they need to settle and the Oilers giving SJS a fair package could help move this across the finish line.
Naw look what happened with Taylor Hall's return to Boston, and that was just with a normal NTC. They got Hall/Lazar for only Bjork+2nd. Nowhere near the clusterf*** that is the Sharks/Kane situation (that the Sharks are pressured to want to resolve ASAP b/c it affects their offseason even more than us, not to mention their future and locker room in general) and Kane's unique NTC structure.

Also f*** "fair packages". Trying to be "fair" results in you getting taken advantage of by every other GM in the league. see: Chiarelli's entire regime, all of Holland's trades.
My biggest issue with something like that is San Jose effectively gets rewarded for doing the wrong thing. They should not get a material asset from us- or anyone- for Kane, especially since they were able to realize the benefit of erasing his cap hit almost right away.

What I'd love is for SJ to have the contract reinstated by the arbitrator and Kane then force their hand by putting us and two teams who have no cap room for him on his 3-team trade list. They can have Foegele and a 7th or the rights to Marody or something to complete the trade. Would serve them right.
Oh absolutely. If we let it drag on the Sharks are absolutely pressured into giving him away for like a 3rd round draft pick in the event that they lose the appeal. Prior to Kane's contract termination San Jose was already rumored to be trying to trade him at 50% retained for a minimal return. The only questions are 1) how long do we think it will drag on and 2) what are Kane's chances of winning the appeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad