Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Is It Hockey Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Boston still doesn't have a capable back up tender.

Throwing this out there.

Scrivens to Boston.

What do we want back?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Man, Purcell is probably the most underrated player on this team. I mean he's not a great player but he is definitely everyone's whipping boy up front. He isn't a terrible player but because he doesn't use his size people want him gone. At the very least he is an NHL player. He might not be a great fit but he works.

Fully agree with this. I think he's going to exceed a lot of people's expectations this year and if he's willing to take a pay cut to put him in the range he deserves he might get an extension. He's a serviceable third liner with enough skill to move into the top 6 on a temporary basis if needed.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Fully agree with this. I think he's going to exceed a lot of people's expectations this year and if he's willing to take a pay cut to put him in the range he deserves he might get an extension. He's a serviceable third liner with enough skill to move into the top 6 on a temporary basis if needed.

Agreed, he's a pretty decent depth player, just overpaid. If he was making $2m nobody would bat an eyelash.

He can contribute on both the PP and PK as well.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
To me Purcell as a F is comparable to Nikitin on D and Scrivens in net ..

serviceable but unimpressive. 11.3M of cap relief after next season when this trio moves on.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Agreed, he's a pretty decent depth player, just overpaid. If he was making $2m nobody would bat an eyelash.

He can contribute on both the PP and PK as well.

If he was making less than 2M he would be spending a lot more time in PB if not in AHL. Lets not forget that Purcell had 22ES points last season and was -33 (4th worst in entire league after Yak, Bozak and Kessel).

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If he was making less than 2M he would be spending a lot more time in PB if not in AHL. Lets not forget that Purcell had 22ES points last season and was -33 (4th worst in entire league after Yak, Bozak and Kessel).

He's not nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. He could play on most teams in the league.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Purcell has all the negative attributes that make a player super easy to dislike, but he is an actual NHL level talent and we need more of those not less.

The roster has more forward depth today than it has had in years and there are still plugs like Klinkhammer and Gazdic within shouting distance of the lineup

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Purcell has all the negative attributes that make a player super easy to dislike, but he is an actual NHL level talent and we need more of those not less.

The roster has more forward depth today than it has had in years and there are still plugs like Klinkhammer and Gazdic within shouting distance of the lineup

Absolutely, and I would agree, if there weren't a dozen guys who are UFAs who would make better options, and likely come cheaper.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Purcell is ok.

I looked at his defense stats compared to korpikoski not too long ago plus/minus aside, I think he had pathetic hit and block totals and a fair number of giveaways.

You could argue that his giveaways are maybe a result of his offensive "flare" and that he had some takeaways which warrant less hits

I mean he's obviously not physical...I guess it's just hard to accept that having skating into someone at full speed is harder to adopt as part of your game then iit sounds.

Anyway, if he even got to 90 hits I would be happy. Like just quadruple his hits..

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Absolutely, and I would agree, if there weren't a dozen guys who are UFAs who would make better options, and likely come cheaper.

Are you implying its easy for the Oilers to not only attract a replacement but find a place to pawn Purcell off?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Purcell is ok.

I looked at his defense stats compared to korpikoski not too long ago plus/minus aside, I think he had pathetic hit and block totals and a fair number of giveaways.

You could argue that his giveaways are maybe a result of his offensive "flare" and that he had some takeaways which warrant less hits

I mean he's obviously not physical...I guess it's just hard to accept that having skating into someone at full speed is harder to adopt as part of your game then iit sounds.

Anyway, if he even got to 90 hits I would be happy. Like just quadruple his hits..

I don't believe hits or blocks are good indicators of defensive prowess.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Are you implying its easy for the Oilers to not only attract a replacement but find a place to pawn Purcell off?

Why wouldn't it be extremely easy for the Oilers to attract a replacement? How many UFA forwards are going to turn down a contract on August 28?

The much more difficult part is finding a home for Purcell, if someone wanted to do that.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Not by themselves I guess.

But I believe hits are a major factor when it comes to disrupting a teams system and/or wearing key players down over the course of a game

So hits may be a part of a defensive strategy more then defending a play. I know the argument that hits take people out of position so it's likely a fine line.

Blocks? Well I'm almost certain that if purcell blocked a few shots he'd be a better defender. Maybe you mean he might score less and win less games that way.

Anyway, I get what you're saying but it's not like the stats are hiding the fact that he's a brilliant defender from watching games.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Same with giveaways (just look at the names ahead of Purcell: Eberle, Hall, Yak, Nuge, Pouliot) and +/-.

All hit and block totals tell you is who doesn't have the puck.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I still say signing Glencross would/would've been a good move at a low price. I would think he'd jump at a guaranteed contract vs. some try out.

Glencross Lander Purcell
Hendricks Letestu Gazdic/Klink

Is a OK bottom six.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I still say signing Glencross would/would've been a good move at a low price. I would think he'd jump at a guaranteed contract vs. some try out.

Glencross Lander Purcell

Is a OK bottom six.

Would also give Pouilot a push for that #2 LW spot.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada

But I believe hits are a major factor when it comes to disrupting a teams system and/or wearing key players down over the course of a game

So hits may be a part of a defensive strategy more then defending a play. I know the argument that hits take people out of position so it's likely a fine line.

Blocks? Well I'm almost certain that if purcell blocked a few shots he'd be a better defender. Maybe you mean he might score less and win less games that way.

Anyway, I get what you're saying but it's not like the stats are hiding the fact that he's a brilliant defender from watching games.

Blocks have been shown time and time again to be an indications of a poor defensive player who cannot get the puck back. Most hits by forwards are on other teams defensemen in their zone and have nothing to do with defensive play.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Blocks have been shown time and time again to be an indications of a poor defensive player who cannot get the puck back. Most hits by forwards are on other teams defensemen in their zone and have nothing to do with defensive play.

Hits are also counted differently from building to building and are thus completely unreliable. There's also no clear definition of what constitutes a hit. Junk stat, top to bottom.

I think there's some skill in shot blocking, but I don't consider it to be a super good indicator of defensive skill for a winger, who would mostly be covering point shots.

Purcell is no Selke winner in waiting, that's for sure, but these stats don't show that, nor is it necessarily his role.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Oilers are not trading with Boston while Sweeny and GM Neely are there.

We all know you're bitter about the Hamilton situation, but I hope/think Chiarelli has a little more common sense than that.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Eberle and Yakupov are the top 2 RW's then Purcell shouldn't be on this team. I'd rather have a more physical, 2 way winger in the bottom six.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We all know you're bitter about the Hamilton situation, but I hope/think Chiarelli has a little more common sense than that.

I don't know what Chiarelli has to do with it. He was very willing to trade with Boston and their MacT/Lowe got pigheaded about it.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Not that i'm calling Purcell physical or even disagreeing with you but one very important thing to consider is things like hits, takeaways, and giveaways are real time stats heavily influenced by scorer bias. It's been a few years since i read the article and things may have changed but in comparison to the league Edmonton's scorekeepers are/were stingy in awarding hits while in say Montreal iirc they were very generous. The way the fellow calculated it was by looking at awarded hits based off home and road splits and he found an Oiler was almost always recording more hits on the road by an appreciable amount in comparison to home and vica versa for a Hab. Interesting study and something to keep in mind when evaluating any real time stat.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Glencross Lander Purcell

Is a OK bottom six.

Korpi in your top 6? He's going to an important part of the PK and forward depth this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad