Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Is It Hockey Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
how much would Doan cost.

anyway we could dump purcell for Doan somehow?

:coyotes
Teddy Purcell
token 2nd round pick

:edmonton
Shane Doan

Hall-McDavid-Doan
Pouliot-Nugent Hopkins-Eberle
Korpikoski-Lander-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Gazdic
Pitlick, Klinkhammer

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Gryba
Nikitin

Talbot
Scrivens/Nilsson

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Teddy Purcell
token 2nd round pick

Shane Doan

Hall-McDavid-Doan
Hendricks-Letestu-Gazdic
Pitlick, Klinkhammer

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Gryba
Nikitin

Talbot
Scrivens/Nilsson

Gross, his contract is so gross for an old and declining player. Let him play out the stretch in Arizona and join the front office.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Gross, his contract is so gross for an old and declining player. Let him play out the stretch in Arizona and join the front office.
it's not a bad contract considering that it's only for this season. He only scored 36 points last year in a 79 game season, but the Coyotes' top scorer had 43 points. Besides, his claim to fame is his hits, and he still does that well.

I don't see him being available though. The Coyotes management and fans love Doan to death and consider him the face of their franchise. I would love for us to get him though, especially if the main piece back is Purcell, and I like Purcell.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
it's not a bad contract considering that it's only for this season. He only scored 36 points last year in a 79 game season, but the Coyotes' top scorer had 43 points. Besides, his claim to fame is his hits, and he still does that well.

I don't see him being available though. The Coyotes management and fans love Doan to death and consider him the face of their franchise. I would love for us to get him though, especially if the main piece back is Purcell, and I like Purcell.
I thought he had another year left, but whatever, let him retire there. Trading for him seems like it would be the same nightmare his short time as a UFA was. Just insufferable.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I doubt if Doan would be moved... he has that horses/ranch/family thing going on in Arizona and even before his last signing where the Coyotes looked like they might be gone from Arizona altogether... he waited as long as possible to see how that would all shake out because he wanted to stay in Arizona if at all possible.

I doubt at this stage of his career he'd want to be moved anywhere else and I doubt Arizona management would do that to him at 38 years old.

He'll likely ride off into the sunset after having spent his entire career with the Jets/Coyotes franchise... a rarity in the modern NHL.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton

Teddy Purcell
token 2nd round pick

Shane Doan

Hall-McDavid-Doan
Hendricks-Letestu-Gazdic
Pitlick, Klinkhammer

Sekera-Fayne
Klefbom-Schultz
Ference-Gryba
Nikitin

Talbot
Scrivens/Nilsson

I'd rather have Purcell than Doan straight up. Let alone giving an additional 2nd.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
lol doan is still playing and steve kelly is a used car sales man with a 10 year resume

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
lol doan is still playing and steve kelly is a used car sales man with a 10 year resume

Doan was obviously the right pick in that draft.

But Doan is done like dinner in 2015. He's more interested in his ranch than anything, anyway.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Man, Purcell is probably the most underrated player on this team. I mean he's not a great player but he is definitely everyone's whipping boy up front. He isn't a terrible player but because he doesn't use his size people want him gone. At the very least he is an NHL player. He might not be a great fit but he works.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Man, Purcell is probably the most underrated player on this team. I mean he's not a great player but he is definitely everyone's whipping boy up front. He isn't a terrible player but because he doesn't use his size people want him gone. At the very least he is an NHL player. He might not be a great fit but he works.

I agree with this.
I think the issue for me is that this team isnt necessarily a good fit because its an inherently soft team. Purcell is a solid NHL vet but his style really isnt a good fit for this team.

He would be a good complimentary player with a team like Columbus, Winnipeg or St Louis but on this (still) small soft team he just isnt a good fit.

Good NHL player though...no issue with that at all.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The issue is fit. On a team full of soft forwards, he's probably the softest of all, painfully soft actually.
He's a better fit for a team like Anaheim or Winnipeg that is full of gritty 2 way forwards where he would compliment them well.

His offensive contribution is underrated. I expect him to start with Hall-McDavid and potentially put up 50 points, he has shown the ability to play with highly skilled players in the past so he should put up points. He needs to go after this season though. The team desperately needs a skilled grinder in the top 6.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
I'd rather puke than get Doan. He's a relaxed guy who loves riding his horses.

Brutal person to want. He's comfy.

He had his chances to win. He likes the ranch.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
The issue is fit. On a team full of soft forwards, he's probably the softest of all, painfully soft actually.
He's a better fit for a team like Anaheim or Winnipeg that is full of gritty 2 way forwards where he would compliment them well.

His offensive contribution is underrated. I expect him to start with Hall-McDavid and potentially put up 50 points, he has shown the ability to play with highly skilled players in the past so he should put up points. He needs to go after this season though. The team desperately needs a skilled grinder in the top 6.

I can't think of a more arbitrary and ill-defined trait than "softness." Any term that is employed to describe a contact-averse player like Justin Schultz and a guy like Ales Hemsky (for example) is pretty useless IMO.

Purcell doesn't hit much, he doesn't get into useless scrums after the whistle, but he finishes his checks and does a lot of veteran things on a team that has lacked any kind of vet presence in the top nine for ages. With only one year left on his deal, there's no reason to move him, nor could you expect to get much back.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I can't think of a more arbitrary and ill-defined trait than "softness." Any term that is employed to describe a contact-averse player like Justin Schultz and a guy like Ales Hemsky (for example) is pretty useless IMO.

Purcell doesn't hit much, he doesn't get into useless scrums after the whistle, but he finishes his checks and does a lot of veteran things on a team that has lacked any kind of vet presence in the top nine for ages. With only one year left on his deal, there's no reason to move him, nor could you expect to get much back.

The Oilers need players who initiate contact, are hard on the puck and don't back down at the sign of any physical contact. I couldn't care less about players getting into scrums, I want to see players who are tough to play against.
Teddy has a nice offensive skillset but he's the antithesis of what the Oilers need in the top 6. He avoids contact like the plague (I've never seen him finish a check) and doesn't forecheck, get involved in puck battles. If he's not putting up points, he's completely invisible.

As i said before, he's a useful player but is a poor fit for this team. It's fine if they want to ride out the last year of his deal but he's gone after this season or at least he should be if they had any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad