Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Is It Hockey Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
He's like the 3rd or 4th best free agent d-man of the summer... if he was going to sign for 1.5 he'd have done it by now.

There's clearly no demand for his services at whatever his asking price is. Something's gotta give.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hard to think LA and Dallas miss again. The division was putrid this year outside of Anaheim.

Why is it hard to think? LA has never been a good regular season team. They were an 8th and 5th place team in their cup wins and are worse than they used to be.

The Stars have done nothing significant to improve their team imo. Still have a bottom 5 defense in the league. Sharp and Oduya are not the type of player that is going to make a big enough difference for them.

oilz89*

Pittsburgh.....

These **** defensemen like Franson sign in the Eastern Conference because they suck terribly in the Western Conference... Funny thing is Franson was bad for the leafs but good for the short period of time with Nashville :laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't want to drag it to death, but I don't think the Giordano deal is all that great. He's effectively 32 now and still has another year remaining on his existing deal.

So this extension doesn't start until he's 33 years old and runs for 6 more years. IMO he took the Flames to the cleaners on that, a 33-year-old should not be getting a 6 year extension north of 6 per.

I don't think it's as great of a deal as people think. They'll be regretting it when he's 37/38. It doesn't look like it's front loaded either, so buying it out is not going to be easy.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't want to drag it to death, but I don't think the Giordano deal is all that great. He's effectively 32 now and still has another year remaining on his existing deal.

So this extension doesn't start until he's 33 years old and runs for 6 more years. I don't think it's as great of a deal as people think. They'll be regretting it when he's 37/38.

In the short term it is a very good deal, by years 3-6 of his deal though it could be a different story.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

So this extension doesn't start until he's 33 years old and runs for 6 more years. IMO he took the Flames to the cleaners on that, a 33-year-old should not be getting a 6 year extension north of 6 per.

I don't think it's as great of a deal as people think. They'll be regretting it when he's 37/38. It doesn't look like it's front loaded either, so buying it out is not going to be easy.

All he has to do is perform at the same level he has been for the first half of that contract and it's done it's job. In 4-5 years that contract is not going to be near as much of the cap as it is today.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
These **** defensemen like Franson sign in the Eastern Conference because they suck terribly in the Western Conference... Funny thing is Franson was bad for the leafs but good for the short period of time with Nashville :laugh:

Pretty sure he was much better with Toronto than Nashville. Even though he played a much easier role

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
All he has to do is perform at the same level he has been for the first half of that contract and it's done it's job. In 4-5 years that contract is not going to be near as much of the cap as it is today.

Wouldn't be too sure that the cap is going to be rising as much as predicted with the Canadian economy in the dump.

HotToddy75

Jun 13, 2011
It is my dream that Franson finally signing is the domino that allows Chiarelli to move Nikitin and finish his work on the blue line.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He signs in Boston.

We don't have the space for another defenseman unless we move one out.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He signs in Boston.

We don't have the space for another defenseman unless we move one out.

Pretty much. If we were to add him then one of Fayne or Schultz would need to move and even then we could still stand to drop Nikitin.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Pretty much. If we were to add him then one of Fayne or Schultz would need to move and even then we could still stand to drop Nikitin.

Just don't think space is an issue for Chiarelli. Nikitin is toast without a good training camp, anyway - it'll probably just come in the form of a demotion.

Not that I believe Franson is an actual target for the Oilers.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

we add someone--we need to send someone out--I do not see the oilers sending NN down

oilers D

we have 7 maybe 8 guys already in line for the starting 6
Sekera, Schultz, Klefbom, Gryba, Fayne, The Slug, and Ference are all NHLers already
we then have Reinhart pushing and of course Nurse sucking in the teet on the farm.

We are heading towards a back log and we still need to address our D on top of that

four years from now Klefbom, Nurse, Reinhart and Sekera still lacks punch to me

btw

radio talking heads are saying it is either BB or Pens

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just don't think space is an issue for Chiarelli. Nikitin is toast without a good training camp, anyway - it'll probably just come in the form of a demotion.

Not that I believe Franson is an actual target for the Oilers.

Agreed, Chia will go out and get what he can to improve the team as long as it doesn't cripple us cap wise. There's a 90%+ chance that Nikitin gets waived the way that I see it.

we add someone--we need to send someone out--I do not see the oilers sending NN down

oilers D

we have 7 maybe 8 guys already in line for the starting 6
Sekera, Schultz, Klefbom, Gryba, Fayne, The Slug, and Ference are all NHLers already
we then have Reinhart pushing and of course Nurse sucking in the teet on the farm.

We are heading towards a back log and we still need to address our D on top of that

four years from now Klefbom, Nurse, Reinhart and Sekera still lacks punch to me

btw

radio talking heads are saying it is either BB or Pens

Nikitin is gone at the end of the season. He did us no favors with the contract that he signed and he most certainly didn't do us any favors with his play last season. If we can add an actual NHL D that could be a fit beyond this season just by sending NN down then Chia will do it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pretty sure the Oilers are just being thrown in the mix my bus agent to try to gain some leverage in negotiations because he has none.

If I were one of the negotiating GM's I'd ask Franson where the cap space on Edmonton comes from to sign him to anything over $3 million.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
If I were one of the negotiating GM's I'd ask Franson where the cap space on Edmonton comes from to sign him to anything over $3 million.
I think Oiler fans look at Franson the same way 29 other fan bases looked at Petry. I don't think as some of you would like to believe just because he played for a team that sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad